Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

FM-Z 1 1/2 HP Governor linkage

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1681 times

Old 10-05-2009, 06:50:14 PM
Registered

Default FM-Z 1 1/2 HP Governor linkage

I'm new to the hobby (at least as an owner) and picked up my first engine at Portland - a Fairbanks-Morse 1 1/2 hp Z S/N 39840? - can't make out the last digit. I got the thing running and the governor pulls the carb open instead of closed as it engages.
Does anyone have a picture of the linkage setup that they could post or email to me? I do have a manual on the way, just hoping for something fun to do this evening. Thanks in advance, Kent
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2009, 09:06:19 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: FM-Z 1 1/2 HP Governor linkage

It sounds like the spring may be wraped the wrong way.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:36:58 PM
Registered

Please bear with me on this as I'm fairly ignorant on these engines... I have reversed the spring on the carb and this does indeed make the governor work as it should but if anything fails in the governor linkage etc. the engine will now runaway at full throttle. Am I missing something here or is this just how things were done in 1919? Thanks as always.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:46:35 PM
Sky

On all throttlers to my knowlage, started wide open and then the governor kicked in to shut the throttle once RPM was significant. If your governor/engine is set up other wise, i dont know what could possibly be wrong as the factory governor set up was so simple, it eaither works or doesnt.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:55:37 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 3,205 Times in 991 Posts

It's set up correct if a failure in the linkage will cause it to run away. I had that experience after installing a new throttle rod on mine several years ago. I can't remember if I forgot to install a cotter pin at the governor end or what, but the throttle rod popped up out of the rocker that actuates it. The engine immediately went to wide open and started jumping around the garage. I don't remember if I just yanked the plug wire or frantically shut off the fuel needle, but I got it stopped before anything catastrophic happened.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Monnier For This Post:
Old 10-07-2009, 09:06:39 PM
Registered

I have one that is doing the exact same thing.
Just tonight I noticed that there is a spring wound around the shaft that goes into the carb and the end of it was not in the hole that makes it hold tension. My spring looks way too weak to do its job but next time I play with it I will try to wind it a couple of times before placing it in its anchorage.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:33:20 PM
Registered

OK, I've got this thing running - it settled in at about 250 rpm nice and steady - on kerosene none the less! I need a flywheel for it because it has what is evidently a light plant wheel on the left side and I would ultimately like to have a flat pulley. Does anyone have one they would like to sell or trade? Thanks for the support and patience for a newbie. Kent
Old 10-08-2009, 09:39:05 PM
Registered

I finally got this thing running. It settled in at about 250 RPM on kerosene and runs perfect. I do, however, need a flywheel for it as it came with what is evidently a light plant wheel on one side and I would like to put ultimately put a pulley on it. Does anyone have one they would like to sell or trade? Thanks for the advice and patience for a newbie.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:41:14 PM
Registered

How did I post twice?