Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

IHC M coil wiring AND (yes) another question

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1972 times

Old 10-07-2009, 10:20:31 PM
Sky

Default IHC M coil wiring AND (yes) another question

I'd like to know the correct procedure to wire a small round automotive coil to an ignitor fired M. The mag i have is new but im either having fuel, timing or low spark.

Had the M running a good few licks but the mixer is VERY sensitive to any adjustment. All i can seem to get it to do is run a few licks and blow a little black smoke. (Rich, i know)

I dont think the timing is exactly dead on yet though. The ignitor triggers when the IGN. mark of the flyewheel is JUST past the mark on the base. I guess this has to be spot on.

I made a crank by the way. Turned out nicely and works great. Also fixed the ignitor leak and has healthy bouncy compression.

THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 10:43:49 PM
Registered

Default Re: IHC M coil wiring AND (yes) another question

Connect the batt to one of the screw terminals on the coil then connect a wire to the other screw terminal and attach it to the ignitor. The other batt terminal goes to eng block/ground. The ignitor should trip when the mark on the flywheel aligns with the mark on the engine base.

M.D.
The Following User Says Thank You to John in Maryland For This Post:
Old 10-07-2009, 10:48:49 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,970 Times in 812 Posts

Take your wire from the positive post of the battery and connect it to your coil primary terminal, doesn't matter witch lead. Next hook a wire from the other terminal of the coil to the insulated terminal of your igniter, (most igniters only have one terminal, if so, hook it to that terminal). Next hook your negative wire to your engine block, or uninsulated igniter terminal.
Your ready to crank it up now.
The Following User Says Thank You to vern0n For This Post:
Old 10-07-2009, 10:49:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,125 Times in 472 Posts

Sky, to wire run a wire from one side of the coil (either side does not matter) to the ignitor and the other side of the coil goes to the battery (again either side it makes no difference Neg or Pos). Then run the other wire from the battery to the engine frame. I have several IHC M engines and when the ignition is timed and also as important the cam is timed these engines will start and run with little effort. Sounds to me like you have a timing issue. Check your cam timing. I think I remember in a earlier post that you could not find the marks. Remove the back cover plate and watch the piston in relationship to the exhaust valve. Should close when the piston is just before TDC (on the end of the exhaust stroke) There is a mark on the flywheel that says EXH CLOSE. The earlier engines had it stamped on the flywheel face. If you can find it make sure that the exhaust valve closes just when the mark lines up. Also make sure that the magneto armeture is just past center when that ignitor trips. All low tention mags produce peak voltage just after the armature breaks the magnetic field. IHC mags have a line stamped into the end of the arm. shaft and corresponding markes on the bushing make sure these marks line up. Or better yet remove the mag and feel for this point. (Turn the mag over and when the poles break you feel a catch this is when the ignitor should trip.) Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo For This Post:
Old 10-07-2009, 11:01:07 PM
Sky

Believe i got the cam timing licked now. I looked at a ref. picture that Ray cardoza sent me of timing marks on a M cam. I fallowed those steps and now the cam is definitly in time and everything works. Im down to shimming the trip hammer but i cant never hit the wheel mark dead on ( but the engine will run breifly )

Im supposing these marks have to be dead on. Thats what im trying to do but im half wore out from cranking. GETTING ClOSE THOUGH! I know im close becouse it never fired before, AND RAN... briefly.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:18:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,125 Times in 472 Posts

Sky remember this, The most important timing is between the mag and ignitor. I have a 1 1/2 hp that the ignitor trips well after the mark on the flywheel passes the mark on the base. But the ignitor trips just when the lines on the mag line up. This is a slow running engine that hits every time. To get it to run with the magneto this timing is IMPOTRTANT!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo For This Post:
Old 10-08-2009, 12:18:29 PM
Registered

Mine is the same as Turbo's.

WILDPIG
Old 10-08-2009, 07:55:42 PM
Sky

Well it runs. Doesnt miss a lick. But i got mag troubles. I line the mag arm. mark just when the ignitor trips. I get nothing really good. Runs fine on battery and coil then i switch over and it hit's a few licks and drops out.

Mark at marks magneto told me to not go by the mark on the arm. and to set the mag just as you feel the field break. Same results. Either im missing something, the mag is not at it's best even though its new and puts out decent spark on the bench, or i just dont know how to time it with the mag. i've tried damn near everything i could think of exept one more thing. If that dont do it then heck. I dont know.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:24:45 PM
Sky

Does anyone have a good picture shot of an original type L end cap? One with the L & R on it? Mine has no L and R. If i could only get a good refrence on the ABOUTS of were this line should be on an original end cap.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:25:09 PM
Registered

Try moving the mag one tooth each direction. My won't run when the marks on the mag are lined up but runs great one tooth off.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:24:48 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,142 Times in 762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Does anyone have a good picture shot of an original type L end cap? One with the L & R on it? Mine has no L and R. If i could only get a good refrence on the ABOUTS of were this line should be on an original end cap.
I think mine has the marks. I'll take a gander and let ya know
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Cardoza For This Post:
Old 10-08-2009, 10:56:19 PM
Sky

Much apreciated! if ya would. That cam pic worked like a charm btw.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:04:42 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,142 Times in 762 Posts

sorry but the marks are gone on mine as well. i can look at my friends tommorow and see if they are there on his mag
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Cardoza For This Post:
Old 10-09-2009, 06:52:53 AM
Subscriber

I've got 3 of these mags, only 1 has the l and r marks...I was told it was from an early M, and these were shared between the M's and the Moguls, where they would be turned around and the direction reversed. Thus the L (left hand) mark, and the R (right hand) mark. My other 2 do not say L and R, they just have the line on the shaft and the line in the case that must line up with each other.
Kevin

***disclaimer***all info is how I REMEMBER it was told to me...I stand ready to be corrected.