Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Fairbanks Morse FM J4A11 help

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2289 times

Old 10-27-2009, 08:55:06 AM
Registered

Default Fairbanks Morse FM J4A11 help

Hello I have an old wisconsin ac4s that this was mag was on I am getting very weak spark and only one magnet seems magnetized when I touch a screwdriver to them maybe this is how it is supposed to be I am new to this. If not can anyone recharge the magnets for a reasonable price. If this is how it is supposed to be what else could be wrong or an easy way to test the magneto. I would deffinately appreciate any help on this.
Thanks
Nate
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 12:20:04 PM
Registered

Default Re: fairbanks morse FM J4A11 help

Magnet should be okay unless magnetic rotor has been rusted and froze up then dragging or bearings are worn letting it drag in housing laminations. Or the coil has been out of it for too long just sitting. Magnetic rotor needs to clean and free to turn with a even air gap, no worn bearings or bent shaft. Anyone with a magnet charger or mag repair shop should be able to recharge it needs it though. On a mag that has been sitting a long time usually needs the magnet pulled out and new bearings or at least cleaned oiled and regreased when magnet is recharged and that means full charge on a overhaul. They can be recharged in the housing but the impulse still has to be removed before doing it that too. Was engine running with that mag ? Someone has put the wrong mag on it or changed out the housing with the 11 number on it. Wisconsin AC4 should have used a FM-J4A7, CCW drive rotation, base mount base mount with UAL5, 35 degree impulse. Unless someone has just traded housings and you really aren't suppose to do that for CW or CCW drive mags that FM-J4A11 is suppose to be for International Harvester tractor engines with CW drive rotation and UA or UAL17 impulse 35 degree. It may be fine though if impulse trips turning the drive CCW facing drive end for it to trip. Some 11 models for IHC had another suffix like 11A, 11B or 11E being CCW drive. If it has ran before with that mag make sure it's the right one.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die.../MagFmBook.htm

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die.../PetrolMag.htm
Old 10-27-2009, 07:42:42 PM
Registered

Thanks it was running with this mag but however I did take the sparkplugs out and 2 of them looked like they have never been fired do not know if this mag would have caused this or not where can I find the different mag or one that will work reasonably cheap. Thanks again.
Nate
Old 10-28-2009, 10:03:07 PM
Registered

If it impulses when rotated CCW and works use it then. If not I may have a Wisconsin mag for it. Clean points or replace them new and condenser to get it firing. If bearings are worn and magnet is dragging that has to be fixed first before it's going to fire. Points for FM J CCW are different than for CW J mag. CCW J mag points are FM# S2437 and NAPA or others don't show a cross number. I have those points if you need some. The condenser is standard capacity FM# AXMR-2433 or NAPA SME 701308 or high capacity condenser SXY-2433 or NAPA FM 200.