Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

FORD Truck Technicians - anyone on here?

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 5272 times

Old 08-11-2010, 09:19:15 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,196 Times in 2,492 Posts
Default FORD Truck Technicians - anyone on here?

1992 Ford F53 chassis with 460 engine does a loaded long haul down the interstate absolutely fine. Get to a rest stop and it may or may not sputter and die on the ramp, at least I can coast in there. Within a stop and go traffic jam on the Interstate, it dies during a stop. Haul down the road some more running fine at 60MPH, get to an off ramp on a slope and it dies at the traffic light. When this happens and you try to restart it, it sputters and pops. If you wait ten minutes and then start it, it runs like nothing at all is wrong and it can go on down the road.

We have changed the air filter and the in-line fuel filter. The hoses, etc. were looked over by a tech. We can suspect the fuel pump (in a 75 gallon tank) but it seems to run fine and gives good pressure. However, this problem has been noticed to happen at 1/4 tank level and right now I'm keeping it at 1/2 or more. I have not had this happen on a full tank. I will add that I have had this situation happen only occasionally over the years, but it has gotten much worse now. No warning lights on the dash and no computer codes that would diagnose it.

Any ideas?

-- Harry
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2010, 11:10:14 AM
Registered

Default Re: FORD Truck Technicians - anyone on here?

If I remember right, a '92 Ford 460 is not fuel injected...right??

How old are the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor? What kind of oil are you running in it?

What may be happening is that when running on the highway the engine is producing a lot of heat and thinning out the oil that may be causing a valve to hang up alittle...which when it shuts off and you try to restart it pops and runs rough. I would suggest running at least a 10w-40 high milage type oil. If you are doing a lot of trailer pulling in the summer I would suggest running a 50-50 mix of 10w-40 and 20w-50. I also use Lucas oil stabilizer with every oil change.

If the plugs, wires, etc. are old I would suggest replacing them too. I also suggest adding Lucas fuel treatment or Marvel mystery oil to each tank full of gas. IT REALLY HELPS!! Since I started using it I have seen an increase in MPG(small, but noticable) and a decrease in engine ping and other noise. It helps to lubricate the top end of the engine.

Hope this helps! Good luck.
Adam
Old 08-11-2010, 11:48:25 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,587 Times in 1,125 Posts

My first thought is EGR sticking open.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post:
Old 08-11-2010, 01:23:35 PM
Registered

A gentleman in W. Texas diagnosed my similar problems with a 1992 Mercury Gran P./4.6.L/ in 1993 as ---High ambient temperature + Heat reflection from roadway + Low fuel level = enough heat rise in gasoline to trip the heat senson in the pump, causing it to shut off. His cure was to maintain fuel level above 1/2 tank. That worked for me for the month I was out there. Back in Illinois for another 20,000 miles at all levels it did not miss a beat.l Hope you find your gremlin.

L. Spittler
Old 08-11-2010, 01:31:55 PM
Registered

I second the EGR.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:53:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts

EGR is a good suspect, but vapor lock sounds possible too. Cruising along at 60 mph there is enough air flow to keep things cool, but take away that flow and the heat under the hood will climb real fast.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 08-11-2010, 03:06:42 PM
Registered

My son had a similar problem with a 1975 Ford pu, after chasing several gremlins we found a pin hole in the pickup tube inside the gas tank. When the gas dropped below that level the problems started, above that level everything was fine.

JIM
Old 08-11-2010, 04:45:29 PM
Subscriber

I would agree with the pin hole in the pick up tube in the tank they are known to rust out. I have several do this even at the top of the sender when you come to idle the pump is sucking air an fuel. also check the egr as mentioned for carbon under the pintle Good Luck
Old 08-11-2010, 06:25:51 PM
Sky

Moms car use to do that. Ofcource im talking chevrolet but at first the Idle air control valve went. After that, the TPI (throttle position Sencor). After that, the 02 sencor, after that the EGR. All within a 6 month period.

All that has been listed by others is VERY possible, but i would start with the IAC valve first. Seems more likely for it to be THAT when your engine just dies out.

To be more acurate then that, i would take the truck to an autozone and have them put it on their diagnosis chip. It doesnt cost anything and the computer of the truck will put out a code which will pin point what it really is.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:55:57 PM
Registered

This truck is fuel injected, the pump is in the tank, there's no pickup tube. The sack on the bottom of the pump can get clogged, causes it to shrivel up. When like this it will catch air, especially when the tank is low and you are slowing and turning. Autozone won't check this one, it's pre OBDII and they won't have the connector or software. Idle air controls give trouble, you can remove it and clean it with carb cleaner, spray a little penetrant in it after for lube. It's the solenoid looking device on the throttle body. Clean the throttle body-plate, start the engine and unplug the idle air control, the engine should maintain a low idle, just barley run. If it doesn't, adjust the base idle until it does, sometimes the computer won't pick it up quick enough and it will die. First thing I would do is unplug the vacuum line on the EGR and go run it, if it doesn't die, plug it in and try it.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:17:24 PM
Sky

From the 70's, all vehicles have a central computer for engine management. Being that said their SHOULD be a point of diagnosis under the dash on or near the driver's side. A DLC. late '95 from '96 and older is pre ODBII. This is pre computer diagnosis, instead, it is like a card that they will put into the DLC port and the engine computer will signal diagnosis through the "check engine" light. You have to have a book to decipher these signals though. Thats something an autozone SHOULD have and be able to do. I know for fact the one out here does. Ofcource thats a LONG long way from Florida.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:12:10 PM
Administrator

Thanks for all the tips guys. She ran fine all day today, including high mountains and winding country roads. A full fuel tank and a much cooler day.

It is throttle body fuel injected so I'll have to get out the shop manual and figure out how to deal with an EGR. Most likely a simple part swap, but I need to do it without a dealer throwing a whole pile of parts at it.

Also, the high temperature cut-out on the fuel pump is very suspicious and appears to be quite likely. Doing an in-tank fuel pump exchange can be upwards of $600 so less is better.

-- Harry
Old 08-11-2010, 11:31:04 PM
Registered

Had a similar struggle it turned out to be the short piece of rubber fuel line that connect the fuel pump to the fuel line in the tank. It had a small split in it, as long as the fuel was above the split no problem. I guess as long as there was fuel above the split it would not allow air into the fuel line. Changed the pump while I was in the tank...just seemed like the smart thing to do.

Regards Del
Old 08-12-2010, 05:49:18 PM
Subscriber

I thought the engine had a carb If it is fuel injected check the throttle body for carbon at the throttle plates most have very small hole in the housing that get clogged hope this helps
Old 08-12-2010, 06:31:37 PM
Subscriber

I had a work truck that would do the same thing if I run it below 1/4 tank the mechanic said that the return line from the fuel injection was dumping warm gas direct onto the fuel pump in the tank cause to over heat an stop working as long I kept 1/2 or more in the tank no problem it was making a vacuum at high RPMS to keep it running this in TX heat
Old 08-12-2010, 09:50:22 PM
Administrator

I have gotten the same information from the local country Ford garage. They believe it's a hose inside the tank that's cracked. I'm getting a new fuel pump as a part of the job as I'm sick of this action. That also includes the "sock" filter.

The previous post explains why it can run on down the highway at 60mph without any problems. Enough engine vacuum to pull the fuel. As to the 10 minute cool down, who knows, a hot fuel pump or just simply getting enough fuel up to the engine to get moving again.

It's not a nice problem to deal with!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:04:51 PM
Registered

Hi Team,
I fitted an oil cooler to the fuel return line on my Nissan Patrol 4x4 diesel to stop the heat build up in the fuel tank and thereby reduce the likelyhood of condensation water contaminating my fuel injection system.
The other benefit is with cool fuel you get more power for nothing. At The Cat Dealer I used to have to do fuel correction factoring, and other measurements, to calculate the true Horsepower output of any Cat Diesels we were dyno testing--it makes a difference and would work on a gasolene engine as well.
Cheers,
Eddie B
Old 08-13-2010, 02:03:00 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bedwell View Post
Hi Team,
I fitted an oil cooler to the fuel return line on my Nissan Patrol 4x4 diesel to stop the heat build up in the fuel tank and thereby reduce the likelyhood of condensation water contaminating my fuel injection system.
The other benefit is with cool fuel you get more power for nothing. At The Cat Dealer I used to have to do fuel correction factoring, and other measurements, to calculate the true Horsepower output of any Cat Diesels we were dyno testing--it makes a difference and would work on a gasolene engine as well.
Cheers,
Eddie B
Most newer vehicles have gone to returnless single line fuel systems for this reason. The hot fuel returning to the tank gave the evaporative emmisions system a lot of overtime work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post:
Old 08-16-2010, 03:50:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,747 Times in 564 Posts

Dunno about your town, but here the Autozone will not even touch anything that is not OBDII.

I would suggest on fuel pumps using nothing but dealer parts. The aftermarket pumps that are out there are junk. We have gotten to the point where we will try to avoid using them in all cases. One failed before we even got the truck backed out of the shop!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:57:56 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,335 Times in 906 Posts

Harry did you get your camper fixed? Bob