Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

Commercial Series Quiet Diesel 10000 Overheating after Coolant Flush

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 7113 times

Old 11-06-2010, 11:20:22 PM
Registered

Default Commercial Series Quiet Diesel 10000 Overheating after Coolant Flush

I recently purchased a preowned enclosed gooseneck trailer with an Onan CMQD 10000 series generator. Exact model is 10HDKCC-A

I just completed servicing it with a coolant flush, oil, air filter and fuel filter change.

Long story short, after the coolant flush, the generator ran for about 5 minutes and then shut off with the Hi Temp error code. I came across some information that there's an airlock which prevents coolant from circulating through the radiator, etc. and causes overheating. I did not use a funnel the first time and apparently if one is not used when filling the radiator, it's possible for coolant to go into the vent hose and create an air bubble that will prevent proper circulation of coolant...thus overheating.

So, I re-flushed the system, cleared the hoses to remove all the coolant and used a long funnel (approx 3 inches below the vent hose) and filled with approximately 3/4 gallon of coolant (peak 50/50...no water needed). I then started up the generator with the coolant pressure cap off to let any air bubbles come out, etc. Afterwards, I put the cap back on (new cap) and started the generator and it ran beautifully for about an hour. I shut it off and thought nothing of it.

Today (3 days later), I filled up the overflow tank to the cold level and fired up the generator. About 7 minutes later, the generator shut down with the same high temp fault code. I assumed it had to do with filling the overflow tank so I decided to re-flush the system again.

This time when I ran the engine with the coolant cap off, everything was fine for the first minute or so and then the coolant started to rise in the fill tube until it was overflowing all over the place and so I shut off the engine.

The generator ran without any issues prior to the coolant flush so I am assuming it has to do with that? Perhaps something else is causing this problem, but there's plenty of air coming from the bottom front of the generator (away from the radiator) so I dont think it's the belt... perhaps it's the thermostat? How would I know if the thermostat is the culprit?

Any other suggestions before I have to take it in to a qualified service center? I really hope this is something I can figure out on my own as I was quoted 350.00 for just an air filter and oil change. That i did on my own for 15 minutes and for a fraction of the price!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2010, 11:12:42 AM
Registered

Default Re: Commercial Series Quiet Diesel 10000 Overheating after Coolant Flush

Well I wonder how you "flushed" the cooling system without pulling the thermostat? Quite possable you dis-lodged some rust and scale and it is now plugging the radiator.
Start by pulling the thermostat and testing. With the thermostat out, fill and run with the cap off and look at the flow thru the radiator. Check for cool spot in the rad which would indicate some plugged tubes.
If in doubt pull the radiator and take it somewhere to have it cleaned.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:36:04 PM
Registered

Default Re: Commercial Series Quiet Diesel 10000 Overheating after Coolant Flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbinder89 View Post
Well I wonder how you "flushed" the cooling system without pulling the thermostat? Quite possable you dis-lodged some rust and scale and it is now plugging the radiator.
Start by pulling the thermostat and testing. With the thermostat out, fill and run with the cap off and look at the flow thru the radiator. Check for cool spot in the rad which would indicate some plugged tubes.
If in doubt pull the radiator and take it somewhere to have it cleaned.
You read my mind. I was going to ask about the thermostat. I did not pull it and check. I assume that could be the issue. Is the thermostat accessible through the access door? The generator is enclosed in the trailer and the only access I have without taking all the panels off is this opening.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:35:16 PM
Registered

BCS, The radiator cap is attached to a long hose & you should pull it up & out of the access hole. Refill the coolant while holding it up as high as possible. Install the cap & run it for approx 5 min & then recheck & add additional coolant as needed, repeat several times. I have had this scenario in the shop several times. Section 3 pg 7 in the manual. Manual can be downloaded from the following address.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/
Manual for your unit is # 980-0540B
Mel
Old 11-08-2010, 09:52:22 AM
Registered

BCS, one more bit of information. You stated in the first post you refilled the radiator with 3/4 gallon of coolant. The capacity of the cooling system is 6.6 quarts or just over 1-1/2 gallon.
Mel
Old 11-08-2010, 11:36:06 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmegoo View Post
BCS, The radiator cap is attached to a long hose & you should pull it up & out of the access hole. Refill the coolant while holding it up as high as possible. Install the cap & run it for approx 5 min & then recheck & add additional coolant as needed, repeat several times. I have had this scenario in the shop several times. Section 3 pg 7 in the manual. Manual can be downloaded from the following address.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/
Manual for your unit is # 980-0540B
Mel
Mel,

That's exactly what I did. I filled it up while the fill tube was out and high as possible. I would say it was approximately 4 inches above the top of the generator when I filled it up. I filled it with a little more than 3/4 of a gallon b/c that's all that would go in without it overflowing out of the fill tube.

Something is definitely blocking the coolant...whether it's an air bubble, which I cant get out (drained and flushed per manual approximately 4 times now) or a broken thermostat (which still wouldnt explain why no more than a gallon of coolant can be poured in) or debris blocking the radiator, etc. Im not sure what's going on here.

When I drained the coolant out the first time, there was definitely about 1 1/2 gallons of coolant in there and now I can barely get a gallon in there without it overflowing out the fill tube.

Unfortunately, the generator is in the front end of the gooseneck trailer with no slide out so unless I can some how pull the panels off, Im limited to the maintenance access door and possibly the top small square panel.