Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Mt. Pleasant Trading post era to end?

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 6353 times

Old 06-20-2011, 10:35:14 PM
Registered

Default Mt. Pleasant Trading post era to end?

Do many of you use the Trading Post at MT. Pleasant to buy or sell, or do you know someone that does. The post has been a fixture for as long as I remember (1974 at least) I also believe if its closed this year it has slim chances of re-openning. I can understand moving it do to congestion at the current site, as I visit it three or four times a day during the show, its always busy. I can't believe the decision to get rid of it is good for the show. Please respond with your thoughts for or against. Keith P
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KPerron For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2011, 09:03:51 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Mt.P Trading post era to end ?

kieth, its one of the things that makes mount pleasant iowa show different and enjoyable .it is always busy,most of the time you wait in line to purchase.the gate admission should offset operational costs .for some reason when things are going well people mess it up! we should all learn from waukee.i know people that are not interested in the steam, tractors, or engines, but really enjoy the swap tent's antiques.i think it will be a big loss for the everyone.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Terry Nemecek For This Post:
Old 06-21-2011, 09:44:02 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,594 Times in 612 Posts

i agree i think if it goes it wont come back.i always enjoyed walking the swap tent. it will be a sad day if it disapperes....john
The Following User Says Thank You to Farmer John For This Post:
Old 06-21-2011, 10:02:27 PM
Registered

We sold a lot of stuff in the tent and bought plenty, it sure will hurt the show, I feel bad for the people that dont know it that will bring loads of stuff up to sell, they wont come back again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GW Eddy For This Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 09:31:03 AM
Registered

good thought, I know there has to be quite few that pay for their trip with the proceeds from their sales, thanks for replying will relay the information to some board members. More opinions and replys are welcome. Keith
Old 06-22-2011, 10:22:52 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,809 Times in 402 Posts

Are they closing it or just thinking about it? Last year was the first year Ive been to Mt Pleasants show. Seemed like there was always people in and out of the tent , some carrying something they bought some not. Seems like a shame to close it with as much traffic that goes through it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Babs8070 For This Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 10:48:04 AM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Mt.P Trading post era to end ?

Once you lose it, it will be very hard to open again, as most vendes will not return. They usually find new venues after a spot is lost, and if it is closed, they probably will find other places to go. Sometimes things are not all about the space. Public relations also has a lot to do with it as well. Several shows I attend have changed policies, to exclude engine related sales within the display areas. This exclusion not only hurt attendance, but also caused a drop in the people who displayed equipment. This caused a domino effect. With display attendance down it had 3 effects. 1) lost revenue due to the fact that the display/venders did not pay for spots or for memberships, in the clubs. 2, lost revenue for food and other venders, as most people are there all day, and need to eat, and often patronize other venders. 3)lost revenue and attendance from show attendees, due to the fact that the attraction of the displays was reduced. One club is still feeling the effects over 5 years later. They went from having nearly nearly 300 people in the display area down to about 50, if that, and even with a policy change, only recovered about 1/2 the people back.
Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 12:06:34 PM
Subscriber

Although I have been to OTR only once many years ago, (and once for RPRU), I keep it on my "possible" list every year. I would like, and hoping, to go this year, and if I do, I would use/visit the Trading Post for sure! Please add my "Iowa-egian" thumbs-up for keeping! JimS
The Following User Says Thank You to JimS For This Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 01:57:45 PM
eMail NOT Working

Unhappy Re: Mt. Pleasant Trading post era to end?

I talked to Barry Tuller and he said the trading post will not be present this year. The board wanted the location for showing tractors and wanted it moved to a different area and the person running it did not want to move to a less desirable area.

I show gas engines at Mt. Pleasant and I probably visited it twice a day. I bought a few things at the trading post. It was always busy and lots of people went through it. It will be missed. Maybe things can change for next year.

Mark Churchill
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChurchMa For This Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 05:09:15 PM
Defective Email Address

Thanked 1,008 Times in 417 Posts
Default Re: Mt. Pleasant Trading post era to end?

That's great news! The biggest complaint I hear about our local shows is "I wish we could see even more A John Deere's and H Farmalls."
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Engine Whisperer For This Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 07:57:26 PM
Registered

i quit goin to mt plesant and probibly wont go ever again. too expensive, too big. and without the tradeing post i dont really have any reason to go. most of my friends quit goin also. it will catch up with them
The Following User Says Thank You to MedicHamilton For This Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 08:30:59 PM
Registered

Unhappy Re: Mt. Pleasant Trading post era to end?

If is not broken don't fix it. Geeze I have to believe people in decision-making positions are getting dumber and dumber every day. My brother and I cruze through every day of the show. We usually find something we think need
The Following User Says Thank You to John Cunningham For This Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 11:51:37 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,578 Times in 900 Posts

I do not know about this case. But often people who are not interested in one type of thing will try to get it pushed aside so what they favor can be put in its place. Bill K
The Following User Says Thank You to oldproff For This Post:
Old 06-23-2011, 08:50:27 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wehrman View Post
That's great news! The biggest complaint I hear about our local shows is "I wish we could see even more A John Deere's and H Farmalls."
Bill thanks for your reply, however to stick up for us that cant afford rare tractors or in my case rare engines, the shows should not be about too many of this or that. It should be about exhibitors enjoying exhibiting their engines/displays talking to one another, making friends. I enjoy looking at complicated awsome restored engines and ones that are barn fresh/in their working clothes. I realy enjoy engines that are doing something, seeing peoples creative sides, and hearing their restoration experience. What really makes my day is getting and seeing kids get involved. I hope no one is offended with this response, as I think the more the merrier. KP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KPerron For This Post:
Old 06-23-2011, 09:24:25 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,809 Times in 402 Posts

I would think that they wouldnt be gaining all that much room where the trading post is for showing tractors. Looked like there was way more empty space on the west end of the tractor area than what that tent took up for space. Just what I observed last year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Babs8070 For This Post:
Old 06-23-2011, 09:35:04 AM
Registered

We have always enjoyed the swapmeet style tented area. That is one of the main reasons we go. We never know what we will find there. Many times there are hard to find parts and odds and ends that we need to complete a project. It would be a shame to lose it. It is very enjoyable for my family.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Candy T. For This Post:
Old 06-23-2011, 10:20:29 PM
Registered

They were complaining about more space for the feature tractors, and wanted the swap tent spot. I dont know why they didnt move all the campers that are on the east end of the tractor display area, it is 6 times the size area they took.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GW Eddy For This Post:
Old 06-23-2011, 10:58:37 PM
Bill Thurman

Everytime I have went I purchased somthing there, I really liked it and to me it was one of the best things about the whole show , it also made you feel like you stepped back in time to the "old days" at Mt. Pleasant. I feel it is a mistake to do away with it as it set that show apart from all the others. For me it will be a big part of my decision to just go to Rollag instead. I really hope they reconsider their decsion. Bill Thurman
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 06-24-2011, 12:24:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,150 Times in 626 Posts

Whats next,So now the thing is we know there is a problem,lets rationalize what can be done. Boycotting the show is the wrong thing to do.This show is right in par with Portland,we must save it.My grand parents on both sides went from the begining,I have pictures of me there in diapers,I also went to Waukee since I was 8,at there other meeting places.
I have asked a lot of people why they don't go and show there,I hear responses from,"too big","costs too much"," there is nothing there to see",are they blind,(no,they want to see Tommy Turner,with the Kansas City Haypress,and the like in the center some where).(Would you beleive some shows do pay some exhibitors) Idea???.
There are many good engines there,I see several there that you don't see every where,but I think they mean there has been an increase of Maytags,and dishpan Fairbanks types. That is where I started and hope those exhibitors can graduate into more collectible engines like I did.The engine area is about as full as can be. I think it is good to see some thing powering a mechanism too,and all the people with what is its,and tools of all types,"nothing there,nonsense".
They also claim they will not pay to show an engine. When I first complained to the board about charging admission,one of them sent me a packet of receipt copies,and they spent all of the money they took in,it costs to run a show of that magnitude,period. Now they are in what I think is worse shape than ever. They barrowed money to buy the camp grounds,it is better than ever now,and they owe a lot of money,as I have been informed. It is no time to start a I don't like campainge,like happened at Waukee. There they after many disgruntled vendors and exhibitors razed the thing,have all but lost their show and swap meet both.Does any one remember 800 engines at Waukee show,in the late 70s,that ended when they started charging exhibitors.How about 1,800 swap meet vendors,and 20,000 spectators,at both.Engine guys should have taken the reins there instead of quiting it.Lets not do that again.
What needs to be done was mentioned here in an earlier post,"we all need to look in the mirror". We are it,if no one wants to work things out,we won't have it. The whole show,is put on by volunteers. All of the people you see at the gate,riding the trams all day to collect quarters,and in many thankless jobs, they're are all long time family passed down volunteers. Their parents,and grandparents some times did it,now some of them travel hundreds of miles,to just help out.They don't even have engines, I can not imagine what could happen to the show,if we lost even some of them.This year of financial loss will be a kicker there,we need to do all we can to save it,as has been said,if its lost,it will be lost,and it won't come back.Free admission at Waukee didn't do it,if we start running this one down,instead of working it out,we could loose it.I know of no where else you can ride a train,see huge engines,look at 500-800 engines,and all they have,including the free shows in the grandstand,including this year,Leroy VanDyke,Jim Ed Brown,Moe Bandy,Helen Cornelius,and Joey + Rory,all Free!
As for the swap tent,I do not know who ran it in the past,but maybe we need to find out and call them thank them,and ask them to please come back and keep it up,how about paying them,or maybe some of us need to step up,and help out. Any person that complains is actually saying, "I am too lazy or busy to do it,so if it ends,it's my fault,but I am going to blame every one else,and quit going and hope the show ends,because I am mad".
Many shows in this country have failed because people became angry at the board.All a board is ,is who ever happens to be there at the meeting,and nominate theirselves,and then just a few members vote,and then they are in control. They said fewer than 30 voted at the Waukee show for the board members there,and the first thing they did was pass a rule that who ever bad mouths the club,show,or a director is barred from attending,and I found that out.I don't think any of them had a gas engine till they joined the club.
So lets see some new members at MOSTA,and see some one energetic work at it a while.A lot of those guys that ran it,have died of old age,and not enough young ones want to keep it going .I know people don't want to travel to the board meetings.We could have 2 board mettings a year,the show,and the swap meet. I am not knocking Louis either,if you look around at the show in some of the buildings,you can see that man has done a lot there,he has donated his time and money,and all we can do is complain.He was born in the 30s,he can't do it all.I thank him for the work he still does,but now no one seams to want to help out.And he is not the one nor did any board member that I know of vote to end the swap tent,the volunteers that ran it quit.
I also must comment to the fact that a lot of engine shows have become tractor shows. I go to several shows all year,and many of them have 75 engines,with 3-500 tractors,and a lot of them are from the 50s. At one time,they wouldn't have even been allowed on the grounds,now they are the show.So I can see why they did what they did. Tractors are it!
I would rather see the campers go too,but if they are the volunteers,that means asking a slave to work a little harder to go eat and lay down a bit, that could be the ticket some how,they are out of room,maybe we should we start an air conditioned buss service to take them,and only them to a special place in the camp grounds?
They also should give the engine guys back, a swap area,we started the thing. We all know that the swap area was taken over by the high fly'ers,I can't afford to pay $500.00 for a spot for a trailer,and camper,and my junk.$60 at Portland is plenty. I wouldn't care what things bring,that isn't right for me, you would have to sell over $20,000 to pencil that one out.The regular vendors don't mind,its their business,but not mine.
IDEA'S
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matthew Guy Clarke For This Post:
Old 06-24-2011, 10:20:01 PM
Registered

Thanks everyone again for your thoughts I do know it was motioned to drop it at the last board meeting and it was seconded. I was not at the meeting so I do not know if it was a permanent decision, I do know that if it is not in operation this year it will take years to revive it, if it can be revived, I also believe that this is not just a gas engine situation but also effects steam/tractor interests as well, for that matter anyone who collects antiques and oddities. I submitted a proposal today with an open mind as to what the powers to be want from it, we will see how this turns out. I did this to try to make it survive through a tough time, not to step on anyones toes, as I have said before, pam and her crew has done an exceptional job as well as louie and family. We will see what the outcome is by next friday, more comments are most welcome, however please refrain from beating the tractor guys up as they are protecting their interest, as the gas engine guys would. I dont think the wanting of the space hurt the the post as much as we the consigners did, by parking all over the place blocking roads and leaving vehicals parked for extended lenghts of time. sincery Keith Perron
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KPerron For This Post: