Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Trailer/Hauling paranoia.

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 7466 times

Old 07-07-2005, 10:29:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,542 Posts
Default Re: Trailer/Hauling paranoia.

I like the idea of adding diagonal bracing - that was the first thing I thought upon looking at your picture. How about using some 10' sections of 3/4 inch EMT (cheap metal conduit) temporarily attached as a few X's some how while towing?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2005, 11:28:23 PM
Subscriber

Well, it's agreed that a future design should incorporate a collapsible roof but I see nothing wrong with your current set-up. X bracing would help solve your stability paranoia. I drive a transport for a living , including flatbed loads. With plywood across the front, you would essentially be hauling an enclosed trailer. Your weight distribution looks good & that, in fact, would be my biggest concern for road instability....too much weight on the rear and she'd be wagging like a puppy. Considering that you don't plan on "interstating" or mashing the go pedal, I would just have two 5000 lb ratchet straps thrown over the roof. It would look no different than hauling a pre-fab garden shed home on your trailer from the Home Depot . My free opinion .

Andrew.....
Old 07-08-2005, 07:59:41 PM
Registered-II

You need to get on the highway and go like all hell broke loose! The faster the better, swing back and forth, don't use your signals, better yet, don't have lights at all, change lanes as fast as possible and all the rest of that crazy stuff. Then we can all say "Did you see that! How does that thing stay together! HOLY COW!!" You see, it's the guys that take precautions, test, worry and try to be safe that bad stuff happens too. Oh sure, the other care free guys have problems too, but not nearly as often, and hey, they don't care, just leave it where it lays.

LOL - Bryan
Old 07-23-2005, 03:41:03 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,164 Times in 756 Posts

The trailer chassis and engines are probably fine. I would be concerned about airflow over your truck/pickup causeing the roof to lift and break away.

Came into this discussion late so apologies if I have repeated what others have said.

Peter
Old 08-31-2005, 10:47:29 PM
Registered-II

An early aviation pioneer is said to have said, "I can fly a barn door, if I can get a strong enough engine." That's beautiful work that you have done; don't take chances with airflow or the other mishaps that have been listed. Another potential mishap is the bow wave from an approaching semi doing 50 MPH.
Until you can find an enclosed trailer in which you can transport this one, entertain the earlier suggestions for totally enclosing your work. I would suggest looking at putting removable frame members on the underside of the trailer, sticking out as far as the sides of the tires. To these you can mount the removable ends, sides, and roof. This can provide the weather protection for you and room for additional information displays; at the shows.
Thanks for inviting us to "help."
Walt
Old 09-03-2005, 06:45:07 AM
Registered-III

G'Day
I've been reading all your messages about bracing and wind foils ect, the one thing everyone seems to have missed is how on earth are ya gonna stop a trailer thay weighs 3500 lbs even at 45 -50 mph, if you have brakes on it well and good.
Regards Phillip
Old 09-03-2005, 06:59:23 PM
Fred_M

If he put a pylwood front on it he would only need to let off the gas to stop. LOL. Yeah, that is a lot of weight for that size trailer if it has no brakes. You need be very careful stopping with it. Tilting it up in the front will create lift, lots of it. Those who don't believe that because "it isn't a wing" only need to stick a foot square piece of plywood out the window of their pickup at 45 MPH and tilt the front up. After it breaks your wrist it will learn you. Fred