Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

What's with This Translucent - Transparent Acrylic Latex Paint?

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 965 times

Old 11-02-2018, 06:16:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,480 Times in 771 Posts
Default What's with This Translucent - Transparent Acrylic Latex Paint?

Symptoms are it takes many many coats of primer or paint to cover the underlying darker colored surface.
I happens regardless of brands. I have tried Kilz, zinsser, Behr oil based primers. The Behr oil cover all primer is the best at hiding.
If I am painting WHITE over a black surface, even after 3 coats of primer you can still see a little blackness peeks through in areas.
I originally tried painting over a rose color with white high gloss behr acrylic latex, and no matter how many coats, 5 -6, etc... you could still see hints of red. So had to then paint on primer then top coat again.
What it took was either sanding off the red rose color, or 4 or 5 layers of primers and 4 to 5 layers of top coat paint to fully hide reds or blacks under the paint surface. Black could do nothing about, just had to cover with many coats of thick brush on primer layers. It seems even thick layers of topcoat alone, no primer could not hide that red color. I tried with 3 layers.

My technique finally settles around brush painting on 3 to 4 layers of zinsser bullseye, then painting a thinned couple coats of behr oil primer. Then block sand smooth. Then top coat with gloss white behr. Forget about rolling on paint, it goes on too thin to cover. My final topcoats I thin with pink RV antifreeze and use a foam brush, this lets it lay down smoothly. If the primered surface is hiding well and is smooth, all I need is 2 top coats of paint for it to look good.

It is real sad to do a great looking smooth gloss job then notice you can see right through the paint. So my technique is to make thick primered layers smooth, then top coat. White has got to be the worst color to hide a darker color.

I will say besides the hiding ability, all these paints seem like good quality. The primers do a good job of sealing the surfaces and are very tough films.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2018, 08:24:33 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: What's with this translucent - transparent acrylic latex paint?

My final topcoats I thin with pink RV antifreeze.

What? Never heard about using that.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:21:17 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,147 Times in 2,049 Posts

I gotta ask, what are you painting? Thinning paint with RV antifreeze???????????

My last paint job was on a rental, it had seen numerous coats of all hues over previous years, I did 1 coat of Kilz, and then eggshell white, it looked great for the most part, maybe a shade or two darker in some areas where previous tenant used something darker, but f' it, its a rental..............
Old 11-03-2018, 12:17:22 PM
Registered-I

My brother worked in 'white goods' manufacture before the UK industry collapsed in the late seventies, and he said that white is absolutely the most difficult colour to get an even finish. Any overspray onto a different panel when painting a cabinet would be nigh on impossible to cover up, no matter how many coats you applied. I think you may be experiencing the same thing.

George
Old 11-03-2018, 01:09:40 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,724 Times in 4,271 Posts
Exclamation Re: What's with this translucent - transparent acrylic latex paint?

Chances are that the paint you are using is partially dissolving the undercoat- thus causing it to bleed through. the hardest color I had to cover, when I bought my house, was an electric blue that was used in my bedroom. I covered it with a pale green that my wife had chosen. We used Behr paint, and the blue bled thru it. I then went to a friend who owned a paint shop (Paintin Place, Denville, NJ), and he recommended Sherman Williams paint. it covered in one coat. he matched the color with a computer in his shop. We couldn't have been more satisfied. A light blue shade also covered a lemon yellow in the kitched, also in one coat.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:57:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,989 Times in 3,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
My final topcoats I thin with pink RV antifreeze and use a foam brush, this lets it lay down smoothly.

It is real sad to do a great looking smooth gloss job then notice you can see right through the paint.

Somehow This WTF thread doesn't surprise me in the least.

And THAT is Really Sad.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:50:09 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,480 Times in 771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grub54891 View Post
My final topcoats I thin with pink RV antifreeze.

What? Never heard about using that.
It allows the paint top flow out very smoothly and dry slowly, then you don't have brush marks.

It is not the reason for the translucence where a red tinted underlying paint was showing through.
Anyway, I got past the issue by just painting more coats. Some areas I had been trying to cover were black rubber and red.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:33:35 AM
Registered

What an interesting string of posts this is. Whenever you have a need to topcoat a dark color such as black with a lighter color such as white, the first place to start is to thoroughly sand the dark color to completely remove any traces of gloss. This is essential as the gloss is preventing the subsequent primer from doing its job and is the cause of all your see-thru problems. You must transform the gloss black to a flat gray by sanding before applying the primer. Then apply two very thin coats of light gray primer. Lightly scuff to remove any overspray and then coat your project with 2-3 thin coats of white. For extra durability, apply a coat or two of clear. Spray application is far superior to using a brush or roller. The key step here is to remove all of that gloss before applying additional paint.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaintChemist For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 03:10:53 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,724 Times in 4,271 Posts
Default Re: What's with This Translucent - Transparent Acrylic Latex Paint?

Not only that - the pink RV antifreeze is alcohol based. It too may be disolving your base coats!
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post: