Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Having terrible time with spray can paint wrinkling!

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1023 times

Old 10-26-2018, 08:45:07 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,480 Times in 771 Posts
Default Having terrible time with spray can paint wrinkling!

I have done a lot of spray painting using cans, but now its like I am an amateur.
Item is a formed plastic cover fits over a vent on the cabin of the boat roof.
Plastic is a hard white plastic.

I first off sanded the hard plastic then painted it gloss white, some of it wrinkled on additional coats. So I thought it is the cheap walmart color place paint
I then tried Quik Color from H Depot. But the white was not white, too yellowish, but no wrinkling. Horrible off white for supposed to be white paint.
So I oversprayed with Krylon gloss white. Massive wrinkling all over.
Then I gave up and totally stripped the cover of all paint.
I got some rustoleum grey primer. The primer sprayed on real smooth, looked good.

Reprayed the white krylon looked ok.
Then I damaged the surface, dropped a power cord end on it and it chipped out some paint, too bad, it looked great.

So today, I smooth sanded, and thought respray with Krylon, that resulted in massive wrinkling over the entire sanded area. A little spot the size of a pencil eraser wrinkled back to bigger than a quarter. The white paint ate the grey primer right off. So I sanded it a little, then saturated with grey rustoleum primer to fill up the area.
That has to dry, then feather edge and smooth it, then a light primer again, then try repainting white.

I have never seen anything wrinkle paint like this thing I am painting. It seems the white top coats dissolve all paints that are sprayed over existing paints. And sanding scratches make the wrinkling worse.

Maybe the primer is no good for this plastic, and the paint solvents just eat under the paint wrinkling it.
Maybe I should restrip it, primer it with oil house paint primer, sand it smooth, then paint it white.
Maybe I need a specialty etching spray primer?

It has been so difficult, maybe just paint it with some latex high gloss house paint.
I have 3 of these, somehow I managed to get the other 2 looking ok.

Its like, if you dont get it perfect the first time, you can not respray to fix or it wrinkles every time.
If you were to sand a good looking area, then spray white, it would wrinkle up, so anywhere it gets sanded it wrinkles the remaining paint along the edge. And here it also wrinkled where grey primer meets white paint.

It could get very expensive, my time, and buying many different brands of cans of paint just to have it fail again and again again and again.

I may restrip and try this 'bonding primer'
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krylon-Bond...-oz/1000480079
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181026_083607.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	321507  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2018, 11:18:14 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: having terrible time with spray can paint wrinkling

Rustoleum makes a rattle can paint formulated specially for plastic. I have a can of it on the shelf. Not sure if I bought it at Lowes or Home Depot. It worked for me on several plastic items.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:13:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,146 Times in 2,048 Posts
Default Re: Having terrible time with spray can paint wrinkling!

I have had issues similar to this, first second and third coats need to be no more than about 30 minutes apart, if not happy with that then paint needs a full week (in a warm environment) to fully cure before another coat can go on, unless you want a wrinkle finish.

I know paint used to cure faster, but it is what works with modern paints. Your mixing of different brands of paint may not have helped either, idk.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:23:12 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,718 Times in 4,267 Posts
Exclamation Re: Having terrible time with spray can paint wrinkling!

What Dalmationgirl said - incompatible paint brands, re-coating too soon, and EPA BS has affected paints like you would not believe. The problem is not just with rattle can paints either! With plastics, even when sanded, there is no absorbtion of the volatile componants. Therefore, the volatiles must evaporate from the surface. Since some of the volatile material is trapped beneath the hardenning surface, it takes longer to 'bleed out' If you don't recoat immediately, the new wet paint dissolves the not quite hard surface. It then acts like a paint remover, the hardened surface crinkles and or sloughs off. You then have to strip and start over. If you wait a month before re-coat, the surface is dry and hard enough that it won't be affected by the re-coat. If you try and use differing brands, all bets are off! For instance, Krylon top coat does not like Rustoleum primer, and visa-versa. The 2 paints react with each other causing crinkling. Stay to the same brands between primer and top coats.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:53:38 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,480 Times in 771 Posts

I managed to get it looking good.
I bought the Krylon high bonding primer, it helps that it is white.
I topcoated with Krylon gloss white.

First I stripped off the failure again.

I could tell the white bonding primer was better paint, did stick on good. One fault it had, when it sprayed some of the surface was dusty and had in some areas tiny bits of paint sticking up even when heavily sprayed. Don't expect a perfect smooth surface like you get with grey primer, that was disappointing a little.
I let it cure 2 days, then I wet sanded with 400 grit. Then touched up some spots with more primer. Sanded again, that made it very smooth, then topcoated. It just barely wanted to wrinkle the topcoat on one base edge, but when it dried was invisible.

That white primer is a nice looking flat white suitable just as it is if you dont want a gloss surface.
I decided I had enough fun with it, so this will be it. If I still had not been able to get it, would have tried all Rustoleum sprays, maybe use primer and spray combo.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:18:49 PM
Registered

sdowney717, You've been given some good solid advice here. I would add this: Pick a manufacturer and use only their products. Go to their website and download both their technical data sheets and their SDS information and READ it all. Print out a copy for quick and easy field reference. Read every single line on every single page. Don't just read the fine print on the back of the can and hope for the best. Do your homework. Effort in, benefit out.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:19:39 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,431 Times in 2,509 Posts

Krylon and Rustoleum do NOT mix! Two different formulas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 02:25:07 AM
Registered-III

I also believe in using a 'paint system' meaning one brand from start to finish.
I feel that you need a specific paint to bond correctly to the plastic surface a a first step then use the same brand to do your top coat.
surface preparation and using a wax and grease remover and allowing that to totally dry before painting also helps a lot.
I have used Rustoleum products and yes it says it can be sprayed over plastics but I find it difficult to accept that one paint can do so much in one step. The same goes for no undercoat on timber before top coat, it just doesn't sit right with me.
As suggested read all about the products you choose and stick with a single brand, keep everything clean and follow the directions and you will get it right first time every time.