Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

POR15 Silver Rust Preventative Coating Is Not Gasoline Proof, I Did a Test

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 723 times

Old 02-24-2019, 05:41:18 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,480 Times in 771 Posts
Default POR15 Silver Rust Preventative Coating Is Not Gasoline Proof, I Did a Test

I coated a brass float. I let it harden for a week.
I immersed the float in a fuel can for a month.
The POR15 silver softened and fell off the float.

I dont know anything about their fuel tank repair kits.

The only positive results which sort of maybe ok, is Seal-ALL.
I coated a rusting fuel filter housing on the inside, and it wrinkled but stayed on the metal and has not done further rusting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190224_162434.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	329354  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2019, 07:37:33 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,142 Times in 762 Posts
Default Re: POR15 silver rust preventative coating is not gasoline proof, I did a test.

interesting i got a can of the same kind to use
Old 02-24-2019, 08:02:01 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,003 Times in 696 Posts
Default Re: POR15 silver rust preventative coating is not gasoline proof, I did a test.

If the float is brass, you can clean the surface with scotch brite, brush on some flux, and solder where the leak is. It is not particularly difficult, you will need to drill a small hole in the vent hole so as to not build pressure when soldering. I have found Seal-All to be a lousy product, especially on cork floats. I use Lee Pedersen's gas tank sealant on cork floats. It works great and stands the test of time and fuel.

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 07:01:03 AM
Registered-III

Float is not leaking, I wanted to test POR15 silver for use in gasoline, and it failed. After 2 days the surface had gone soft and one little wrinkle had appeared, so I left it for a while and you can see the result. Leaving it in the fuel made the coating loosen up so it easily sloughed off from the brass.

SealAll I would not use on a float.

---------- Post added at 06:01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tron View Post
If the float is brass, you can clean the surface with scotch brite, brush on some flux, and solder where the leak is. It is not particularly difficult, you will need to drill a small hole in the vent hole so as to not build pressure when soldering. I have found Seal-All to be a lousy product, especially on cork floats. I use Lee Pedersen's gas tank sealant on cork floats. It works great and stands the test of time and fuel.

Chris
Found the link for the sealer
https://www.enginads.com/pedersen/

I had read on a forum that Por15 can be stripped using paint stripper, so made me think it must not be good for gasoline. I wonder if por15 gas tank sealer works.
The Following User Says Thank You to sdowney717 For This Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 08:01:05 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I coated a brass float. I let it harden for a week.
I immersed the float in a fuel can for a month.
The POR15 silver softened and fell off the float.

I dont know anything about their fuel tank repair kits.

The only positive results which sort of maybe ok, is Seal-ALL.
I coated a rusting fuel filter housing on the inside, and it wrinkled but stayed on the metal and has not done further rusting.
Just out of curiosity, why did/would you think that POR15 Silver is gasoline resistant?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:59:38 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Taylor View Post
Just out of curiosity, why did/would you think that POR15 Silver is gasoline resistant?
I did not know if it was or was not. I have seen some videos where people said it was, and one was on Jay Leno's car show with a Por15 rep discussing por15. That rep guy actually said they have not yet seen gasoline destroy the coating, well maybe they meant casual contact, not immersion, but it is deceptive marketing. I bought the por15 silver to coat underwater SS marine tabs I made, and protect some other metal items from salt water corrosion, so it worked for my purpose. I still have about an inch left in the can which I keep in the garage freezer for little coating jobs.
My OP proves por15 rust preventative coating does not work with gasoline, which I dont find anyone else saying that on the internet yet..
https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-45304-...s=por15+silver
The Following User Says Thank You to sdowney717 For This Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 10:46:09 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I did not know if it was or was not. I have seen some videos where people said it was, and one was on Jay Leno's car show with a Por15 rep discussing por15. That rep guy actually said they have not yet seen gasoline destroy the coating, well maybe they meant casual contact, not immersion, but it is deceptive marketing. I bought the por15 silver to coat underwater SS marine tabs I made, and protect some other metal items from salt water corrosion, so it worked for my purpose. I still have about an inch left in the can which I keep in the garage freezer for little coating jobs.
My OP proves por15 rust preventative coating does not work with gasoline, which I dont find anyone else saying that on the internet yet..
https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-45304-...s=por15+silver

In the context of car finishes, I would not even entertain the notion that they were referring to constant immersion in gasoline. It's advertised as a rust-preventive surface coating. I did not see, albeit I didn't search too deeply, where the manufacturer advertises that POR15 Silver is gasoline resistant or is recommended for use in areas in contact with fuels. If a certified representative stated publicly that he has lined a fuel tank with it and didn't see any deterioration, then a person might have reason to gripe. I can coat something with alkyd paint and get a finish that will withstand occasional short-term exposure to gasoline. Even though the can doesn't specifically tell me not to, I sure wouldn't paint the inside of a gasoline tank with it.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:26:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,124 Times in 1,928 Posts

Well the black convertor stuff aint worth the can it is in either.
Just remember,if it can be diluted or cleaned off of something,it aint permanant.
Methyl elthel keytone is uses to thin and clean most gas tank liners.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:45:02 PM
Banner Sponsor

Well I have used POR15 to line several tanks both Gas and Diesel and its the best I've found , But like everything metal prep is the key to a good job. I use muriatic acid and really flush well with water then dry a couple days , Coat the tank and let it cure for a week before adding fuel .
Old 02-25-2019, 06:56:26 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Taylor View Post
In the context of car finishes, I would not even entertain the notion that they were referring to constant immersion in gasoline. It's advertised as a rust-preventive surface coating. I did not see, albeit I didn't search too deeply, where the manufacturer advertises that POR15 Silver is gasoline resistant or is recommended for use in areas in contact with fuels. If a certified representative stated publicly that he has lined a fuel tank with it and didn't see any deterioration, then a person might have reason to gripe. I can coat something with alkyd paint and get a finish that will withstand occasional short-term exposure to gasoline. Even though the can doesn't specifically tell me not to, I sure wouldn't paint the inside of a gasoline tank with it.
I certainly would not either, before or after my test. Curious why cant I have some fun and see if it works or not!
Old 02-26-2019, 01:09:27 AM
Registered-III

Recently the fuel tank on my vintage tractor required some attention. I have been stripping it for a paint job now that most of the mechanical work has been done. Found the fuel tank inside was a rusty mess. By using an endo-scope attached to my mobile phone I had a good look around and saw no major holes or badly effected area just a lot of rust and some silt. The tank cannot be turned upside down to drain as there is a filler tube welded inside the tank so no splashing occurs when filling so the only way to attack is by using an acid first.
In my case I used hydrochloric acid which after spending an hour on each side (this tank is rectangular in shape) I then removed the plug where the fuel line attaches. The colour of the acid that came out was disgusting and after a couple of rinses with clean water I had a look inside with the scope again and it was like brand new in there. So it was neutralised with soda ash and again flushed. I let it dry out in the sun with the fuel cap off and then re capped the outlet and put fuel back in place to stop the air getting back at it.
I have no need for any other treatments on this tank but this is an interesting topic and I will follow it with interest to see what others do when the tanks are a bit past it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 01:53:47 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,142 Times in 762 Posts

this is the one i bought. very different. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-19-2019, 10:39:45 AM
Registered

Greetings to all those interested in POR15,
POR15 is a moisture-cured isocyanate polyurethane coating. It cures via a catalytic chemical reaction between the resin component (what you buy in the can) and moisture in the air. The higher the humidity, the faster the chemical reaction takes place and the faster it hardens. Moisture-cured urethanes are widely used as heavy-duty industrial coatings. Nearly all bridges today are painted with this type of coating. POR15 is but one offering from many different manufacturers. MCU coatings are really good at preventing corrosion and retaining color and gloss in bright sunlight for long periods of time which is why they are used to paint bridges. They are NOT typically the best coating of choice for any type of immersion-grade service environment. There are other types of coatings much better suited for that. When working with MCU coatings (any brand), always use that manufacturer's solvent as it won't contain any water. Always buy the smallest quantity you need as the shelf life for MCU coatings is extremely short. The air inside a half filled can contains moisture and that will harden the coating while its sitting on the shelf. MCU coatings are also designed to be spray applied. You won't get the results you are looking for with a brush or roller. I garauntee it. I would use an MCU coating only if I could sandblast the surface that way I would get maximum performance from the money I'm spending. MCU coatings aren't cheap. Always remember, in the paint world, one gets what he pays for. Better paints contain better materials. I hope this helps. Rob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaintChemist For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 12:48:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,905 Posts

Wow, that's interesting! This is similar to the expanding foam type products? Those always say something about needing moisture to cure, which might be hard to come by, say in a metal cavity...

Keith
Old 06-19-2019, 03:03:30 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,718 Times in 4,267 Posts

Lee Pederson's alchohol resistant tank sealer has worked well for me, both in leaky, rusty tanks (as long as all the loose rust is removed), and on floats, both brass and cork.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:32:29 PM
Registered

Default Re: POR15 Silver Rust Preventative Coating Is Not Gasoline Proof, I Did a Test

Vanman, The expanding foam insulations used by the building construction industry are a type of isocyanate polyurethane but are much different than the POR15 moisture cured chemistry. The foam insulation is created when two very reactive liquid components are mixed at the spray gun nozzle. The reaction is immediate and forms the solid foam that sticks to the wall. The reaction also produces an abundance of Carbon Dioxide which gives the foam its puffiness and insulative qualities. Truck bed coatings are a very similar type of chemical reaction. There, the reaction produces polyurea in lieu of polyurethane foam. Polyurea is a derivative of polyurethane and can be formulated to be very hard and abrasion resistant. All automotive topcoats today, are formulated using catalyzed polyurethane chemistries of various types.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:15:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,905 Posts
Default Re: POR15 Silver Rust Preventative Coating Is Not Gasoline Proof, I Did a Test

Ah, I have seen the two part foam being applied in a house. As I recall it was heated too. The way those guys were suited up, with breathing air pumped in to their hoods from outside, I assumed it was more than just CO2 coming off of it! I stayed well away.

But I was thinking of the single part foam that comes in an aerosol can... That's the stuff that says it needs moisture...

I actually have a two part foam kit, "Froth Pack", that I bought twenty some years ago for a project that never materialized. Pretty big cylinders of stuff. I wonder if it's still good?

Keith
Old 06-21-2019, 04:22:47 PM
Registered

Vanman, Your Froth Pac components may still react with each other to produce something but not anything you would trust. Everything has a useful shelf life.

On another note, we just did a fire test at our lab of the single component foam insulation that you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes. To my surprise, it burned faster and more violently than you could imagine. I mean scary fast. Seeing that, I'd never have that in my house. Check it out yourself. Spray some on a board and put a match to it. You'll be amazed.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:44:55 AM
Registered-III

In my industry, blinds and curtains, there are treatments to make fabric flame resistant.
I took the same fabric a piece before treatment and a piece after. I put them side by side under a flame and both caught fire at the same time and both burnt completely in the same time. I don't know how it passes as flame resistant for use in public places and hospitals.