Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

Ford 8N saga, Part II - Starts, but won't keep running

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 10616 times

Old 08-27-2013, 11:20:31 PM

Thanked 20,737 Times in 6,002 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Ford 8N saga, Part II - Starts, but won't keep running

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirediron View Post
Solved the problem; the issue was the ****ing Viton tip on the needle valve which kept sticking in the seat and there's no provision for one of those little clips to connect it to the float valve.
You COULD solder on a tiny washer to the end of the needle so a "thingy" would have something to pull.......
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2015, 09:10:38 PM
Registered

Question Re: Ford 8N saga, Part II - Starts, but won't keep running

I have a 8n ford for about 15 years now. its been a great little tracker,all i do is brush hog 10 acres with it, i put about 30 hours a year on it,it has 65lbs oil pressure while cold, and holds 30 while hot,My only problem is, when its cold,it never starts right up, i have to give a 1 squirt of starter fluid then she starts right up, and after being warmed up, its good all day, anybody know what causes this,
Old 04-04-2015, 11:22:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,832 Times in 733 Posts
Default Re: Ford 8N saga, Part II - Starts, but won't keep running

Pull the air cleaner hose off the carb and inspect the choke butterfly. Most Marvel Schebler carbs use a suction limiting valve on the choke butterfly and over time the spring breaks or rusts away and in some cases the entire valve is missing. The end result is that while you think you are choking the tractor to start it in reality the engine isn't being choked enough.
It could be other things but check this first.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:29:10 PM
Registered-I

Maybe a simple tune up. Plugs & points. It might have been so reliable that it finally got tired.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:54:41 AM
eMail NOT Working

Thanked 1,756 Times in 564 Posts

As Mark said take the air intake hose off between the air filter and carb, make sure the choke is closing fully. If all is well there go through a process of elimination... Carb/intake gaskets. Use to own and drive quite a few older ford vehicles, as well as tractors. Not all are alcoholics but most older Fords are like an alcoholic, they need a good raw shot to get the day started, just my personal experience. Had a 9N that would fire up with no problems on summer mornings with no choke, but it was one of many.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:00:39 AM
Registered

Default Re: 8N saga, Part II - Starts, but won't keep running

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirediron View Post
D'ohhhh... it's been so long since I've done one of these, I totally forgot about that little clip, and no, it didn't.
I have the same symptoms on a 1950 8N 6V side distributor. The carb rebuild kit I got from Yesterday's Tractors came with a float valve that did not have a groove to fasten the little clip to. A Youtube video on rebuilding Marvel-Schlemer carbs said to just install it without the clip. Did tirediron ever find a solution to this issue?
Old 06-29-2019, 06:50:51 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldean123 View Post
I have a 8n ford for about 15 years now. its been a great little tracker,all i do is brush hog 10 acres with it, i put about 30 hours a year on it,it has 65lbs oil pressure while cold, and holds 30 while hot,My only problem is, when its cold,it never starts right up, i have to give a 1 squirt of starter fluid then she starts right up, and after being warmed up, its good all day, anybody know what causes this,
I know on my 9n, I have to leave the throttle almost all the way closed for cold starting. The throttle plate "assists" the choke in pulling fuel uphill. It'll start at a slow idle. If I open the throttle to much it won't go.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:02:54 PM
Registered

Default Re: 8N saga, Part II - Starts, but won't keep running

Update: the problem of my 8N not staying running was due to not enough fuel in the tank. Apparently, the tank has a sump that must be filled far enough to let a sufficient amount of gas get into the fuel line to the carburetor. After putting in a couple more gallons, it starts and runs fine. Rookie mistake.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:53:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,527 Times in 718 Posts

AZ Blue whale im thinking you may not have a problem at all. The valve on those N's were set up for 2 turns opened ran the main tank, with a reserve set aside for when you ran the main dry. open it 4 turns and the "reserve" came online. I'm betting you still had an inch or so of fuel when it "ran outta gas".

The fuel valve may need to be cleaned to get this function to work properly. 70+ yrs of service tends to clog the reserve ports up.