Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

B&S(Snapper) Self Propelled Mod. 7800195

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 736 times

Old 05-19-2019, 02:08:21 PM
Registered-II

Default B&S(Snapper) Self Propelled Mod. 7800195

GA Cuz got one, still using, needed the drive tire. Came to find it's a rare prototype unit. Found one, but pricey.
Recon it's a collectable?
The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne Oxford For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2019, 10:50:23 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: B&S(Snapper) self propelled Mod. 7800195

can you show a pic of it.....
Old 05-20-2019, 08:30:56 AM
Registered-II

I'll ask him. He's got no computer.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:55:02 AM
Registered-III

"Came to find it's a rare prototype unit"

I really doubt that. Snapper started selling cheap mowers to the non-traditional dealers, and that is why Snapper pretty much went down the tubes! There use to be a 1/2 dozen dealers locally, now none. The closest is 30 miles. People came into my Snapper dealership with these mowers thinking they were "real" Snapper mowers only to find out different.
A lot of it had to do with MTD vs Briggs & Stratten. MTD wanted cheaper B & S engines but made their own Chinese engines instead. B & S wanted their business so they bought MTD mowers to put B & S engines on and worked out a deal to make/assemble MTD mowers at the Snapper factory in Georgia. We couldn't even fix the Snapper/MTD mowers because we didn't have any parts for them. When I sold my business, I told the new owner to drop Snapper. We were the first and the last in our area. Tony is turning in his grave.
The Following User Says Thank You to gdstew For This Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 01:05:47 PM
Registered-I

gdstew:

Can you advise approximate years these events took place?

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Dorsi For This Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 02:05:22 PM
Registered-II

Prob ain't. He said everything on it was made by?? B&S. Sad how once great companies got pukes in control who went for cheap quantity instead of staying with quality. But, then, folks go for lowest price, learn later the quality. Vicious circle.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:50:43 PM
Registered-III

"Can you advise approximate years these events took place?"

This happened shortly after B & S bought Snapper. Long story---

"Gentleman's agreement", We make engines but not mowers, you make mowers but not engines. Long time ago (1970s?) Snapper was going to use Honda engines on their mowers. Honda got a Snapper mower for testing. At the big trade show ( just went brain dead, Louisville) The Snapper people walked past the Honda booth and spotted Hondas entry into the lawnmower business, looked just like a Snapper. Tony Malizia ( CEO/owner) told his guys to cancel a boatload of engines that were already shipped!
Simplicity bought Snapper and B & S bought Simplicity. B & S profits were down. Companies were selling mowers for $100 and B & S was trying to sell the same engine to their dealers for the same price. MTD was B & S biggest customer and squeezed them for lower prices. MTD went to China for their engines. B & S needed some place to put their engine, so the purchase of Simplicity. B & S also got into generators and pressure washers. It's interesting to see B & S pressure washers with Honda engine. I was told that's what the customer wants, so B & S became Honda's biggest customer.

It pretty much comes down to --whatever it takes to make a buck. These companies are selling their souls, sell their name, slap a sticker on it and sell it to the uninformed.
Walmart wanted Snapper to supply string trimmers. Snapper didn't make any so they bought Weedeater trimmers and put their name on them. People brought them to me to be fixed. It even said in the owners manual that they were not Snapper, take to a Weedeater dealer.

I know this doesn't specify any dates, but it's been going on for some time

---------- Post added at 09:50:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24:46 PM ----------

additional dates

Snapper buys Ferris and GiantVac between 1999 and 2002
Simplicity buys Snapper in fall of 2002
B & S buys Simplicity 2004 and closes Georgia factory 2014
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gdstew For This Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 09:47:29 AM
Registered-I

Thanks, gdstew !

I'm glad I got out when I did (1985), but have always been a Snapper fan. ...It's sad to see the way things went downhill.

My 50+ year-old 265X w/ 25+ year-old B&S 190702 still runs like a champ and will mow anything I can run over.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Dorsi For This Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 10:09:18 AM
Registered-III

We were a Snapper distributor from late 1950s until 1985. We helped build Snapper into a big company. We saw the "writing on the wall" and dropped to being a dealer. We suffered through the downfall and reluctantly dumped them when we sold out in Dec 2013. They had become heavy handed and forceful on the dealers. Towards the end, they came in demanding we place a larger equipment order than we wanted. We refused, they threatened to cancel us, and we said "Fine". They came back a week later and took what we gave them. They lost probably 30% of their dealers for the next several years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gdstew For This Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 07:21:48 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,726 Times in 4,272 Posts
Default Re: B&S(Snapper) Self Propelled Mod. 7800195

A little OT but: A friend bought a new Snapper mower that had the B&S 5 HP engine with an aluminum deck back in the late 1960s. He thought it was the greatest thing for mowing. He used it as a yard vac when the leaves fell. i had a Jacobson with a 21/2 HP 2 stroke that did a better job cutting, and also a better job vacuuming as well. Snappers wernt all that they thought they were, especially at the cost!
Old 05-21-2019, 11:35:21 PM
Registered-III

Those old V21 mowers were built like a tank, and weighed just about as much! The standard machines had B & S 3.5hp, 9cu in engines, the commercial machines used 5hp, 13 cu in engines. The biggest advantages of the Snappers were their variable speed self-propel drive and them placing the grass bag in the back between the handles. When they went to their steel deck Hi-Vac machines, that made a big improvement in the vacuum aspect. They discovered that design quite by accident, but that is another story for some other time.
The Following User Says Thank You to gdstew For This Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 11:58:16 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,005 Times in 698 Posts

I ran several of the V21 and later steel deck mowers for years, with the 3.5 and 4hp Briggs kool bore engines, and then later on with the hard to find 5hp I/C briggs engines. I accumulated a few oddities in between with Tecumseh two and four stroke engines. Those 70s and 80s vintage mowers just did not know when to quit, and kept on running. My first mower was a V21, and I ran it for so many years that the blades had holes wore threw them from constant air velocity! I am still on the lookout for a V21 with power drive. I saw one many years ago at the mower shop with independent drive on each rear wheel. I wish I had taken a picture of it, as I hadnt seen another like it since. The most common issue I had with them was running out of fuel since the tanks werent very big. They were too good at vacuuming up debris, and you ended up with bags full of dirt, pine straw, acorns, you name it. I ran wings on my blades for years; at idle they had more suction than the competitions machine at full speed. In my opinion they were the last true commercial walk behind mower made. Everything since then has been a real let down. About five years ago a neighbor of mine wanted a commercial mower and he ended up buying a $1200 Toro personal pace mower with a Kawasaki engine. He blew two mower engines in the first three months of ownership, and then asked me to mow his yard for him. The then 35 year old steel deck snappers I was running never quit on me, and would mow and vac the tallest and thickest grass with ease. My favorite part about those Snappers is that they stack really well when the handlebars are folded down, I managed to squeeze about 20 of them in the attic of my shed.

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 02:34:56 PM
Registered-I

speaking of the old V21- does anyone know where I can get a side chute for one?
Old 07-04-2019, 03:29:30 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Davis View Post
speaking of the old V21- does anyone know where I can get a side chute for one?
Are you talking about the side chute for the bagger or for side discharging grass?
My chute will fit my 1986 Snapper 21" if that is what you are calling a V21.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:24:04 PM
Registered-III

chzuck, your chute for a steel deck mower will not fit the aluminum deck mower (V21). The original chute (60287 I think) did not fit either! We always had to "massage" them to fit and also bend the top C-clamp.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:47:05 PM
Registered-II

Ok.
I am not familiar with all of the history of Snapper. I do remember years ago seeing a story on the web where the head of Snapper told either Walmart or one of the other big box stores that they would no longer sell to them because the management of the box stores kept asking for a lower price and Snapper was not willing to do so and risk their good reputation. Well so much for that. The American public should not place much faith in most name brands anymore. The names are mostly hollow with nothing in common with what they once were. Since I collect the Rototiller brand I am specifically thinking of Troy-Bilt.