Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

Howard Gem Rotovator 810cc

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 302 times

Old 07-17-2019, 07:32:01 PM
Registered

Default Howard Gem Rotovator 810cc

hey new to the site,just picked up a Howard Rotavator, its seems to be in good shape. Has a howard 810cc 360 engine,it runs and everything works as it should. What are these machines worth?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	howard rotavator pic 1.PNG
Views:	71
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	339283  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2019, 11:14:44 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Howard Gem Rotovator 810cc

don't know but it sure looks like its built well..., big engine too...

Last edited by ulgydog56; 07-17-2019 at 11:15:45 PM. Reason: added
Old 07-18-2019, 02:59:35 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,012 Times in 704 Posts

Welcome to smokstak. What you have appears to be a Howard G24T with the 12hp Howard 360 engine and Amal carburetor. I have a dozen Howards in my collection and have both the 180 and 360 Howard engines. From a collectors point of view, the Howard 360 is far more difficult to find on a Howard in the USA than a Wisconsin, however it is not nearly as powerful or reliable as one either. The Howard 180 engine powered gems are very hard to find here, I have one but it is in very poor shape. My 360 is in about the same condition as yours, but needs a bit of work to be nice again. If yours runs good you should be able to get some decent money for your machine. However do not be discouraged if it does not sell quickly. These machines are old and not everyone is looking for one with an unusual power plant that they cannot get any parts for. I always pull the cover off the top of the transmission when inquiring about a Howard I look to purchase. If the gears are rounded over or worn down, I start very low, since the gears and clutch are very expensive and hard to replace. If yours has good gears your machine will be a quick sale. I bought my 360 powered gem for $200 a few years ago but it had no compression, bad gears and came with a parts machine. Just one improperly set clutch used for years can turn a $2000 machine into a $100 mess of a machine very quickly. Without seeing more of your machine it is hard to put a price on it. In my experience, Howards sell pretty quickly on either coast of the USA, and seem to sit forever in central USA. I havent seen many come up for sale in Maine, but it would be one of the few walk behind machines that can till through the hard ground, without putting up a fuss.

Chris
Old 07-18-2019, 09:19:01 PM
Registered

Thanks for the the reply k-tron I was hoping you would see this and give me your thoughts, I read some of the other Howard threads and seems like you know your way around them pretty well. I looked for replacement parts for the engine so I could "freshin" it up but couldn't come up with much. I will have to open up the transmission and see what it looks like in there. I'am not really sure if I want to sell it but don't really have a use for it either. I was curious to see what other people like you had paid for yours. I do know that I'am the second owner of this Howard and I believe it has been cared for very well over its life. It is definitely the first "Gem" that I have ever seen, didn't know any of the history on them until the last few months, I also have all the original paper work and manuals that came with it when it was purchased.

Luke