Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

Magna-trac and Pennfield tractor pics.

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 2238 times

Old 01-28-2019, 09:55:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,134 Times in 1,935 Posts
Default Re: Magna-trac and Pennfield tractor pics.

WOW! Thanks for those nice color pics! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2019, 10:35:52 PM
Subscriber

Well it is coming along,the Penfield that is.
After this pic the top of the frame was painted,and then the seat and bracket was put on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01473 (Medium).JPG
Views:	53
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	328134  
Old 02-09-2019, 09:44:18 PM
Subscriber

Here is how the Penfield is at the moment.
I still have a ways to go.I need to touch up paint all the bolt heads of stuff I put on the dash and such.
Once I finish the hood and install it and a couple other little details,I will need to get to the engine.
I have 4 projects in the shop and the engines need to be fixed for all.
I need to find out and I will do some googleing,about the little rubber "boots' that I see slid over the spindals and axles of lawnmowers.The john deere I have here with the coil studs corroded off it has them.I want to get some for these tractors to keep grease off the outside of the wheels for better appearance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01475 (Medium).JPG
Views:	48
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	328280   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01476 (Medium).JPG
Views:	50
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	328281   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01477 (Medium).JPG
Views:	48
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	328282  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 08:43:58 PM
Subscriber

Well finally got back to the Penfield and the engine is together and running!
It has some issues with the threads on the exhaust port so once i determine the exhuast system routing,I will have to make a little "repair" but it won't be major.Just a bolt with the head cut off screwed into 1 of the 1/4 inch threaded holes and then a tack weld to the street L coming out of the large threads to prevent it from coming loose. My new camera checked out so I am back to my old camera and I forgot to make the pics larger on it now that I have higher speed internet.The engine is just sitting on the tractor,not bolted down yet.I ran it on a table and made sure the engine was ok before I started bolting it down.
What really urked me was I tryed to save the decals on the shroud. They were a silver material with black writing on them.
I gently placed and trimmed green masking tape on them and sanded and so forth.When I got ready for the final paint I didn't like the fact the tape was kinda fuzzy around the edges.So I decided to put new tape on. Well,good thing I did that instead of waiting until I had the final paint! The letters peeled right off with the masking tape! So I just cleaned them the rest of the way off.
That kinda surprised me that the decal could not take a little masking tape.
I ran into the same problem with those repop carbs again today.High speed needle jammed into the long jet. 3rd 1 I have gotten like this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00077.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	330575   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00084.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	330576  
Old 03-13-2019, 10:56:04 PM
Registered-II

The Burns-Penfield was built just 40 miles from here in Louisville, Ga.by the Burns Tool and Die Works from around the mid 50's to the late 60's. They built Chain saws both direct and gear drive with West Bend 580 2 cycle engines on them they were sold with both straight bar and bow blades. They also made front tine rotary tillers with Clinton engines. The riding mower you have would have come with a Clinton engine also. They were good machines built well. The chain saws were made with a lot of cast aluminum housings and tubular handlebars. The weak point in the gear drive saws was the fiber reduction gears in the transmission. it would strip after a good bit of heavy use.

I worked on a lot of the saw while I was in the saw business and got one in trade in the late 70's on a new McCulloch. Their main problem seemed to be a lack of dealer network. Lots were sold by filling stations and garages but they did not stock repair parts or repair the saws. They were a decent saw for their time but were extremely heavy and clunky.
The Following User Says Thank You to GADavis For This Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 08:31:18 PM
Subscriber

Well the fellow that I got the penfield from said it had a clinton.Um, But the pics i find all show a briggs.I have a 7 hp clinton missing it's carb and air filter.But now I already have this engine done so I guess i will leave it.
There is a site that has tractor data on it and this little tiny pic is all it had.But it shows a briggs.I will keep researching because if you were right down the road from the factory and also the previous owner said clinton,I may be doing this wrong!
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2019, 08:43:09 PM
Subscriber

After a long break from this project, I finally got to the point on the hood for this Penfield that I decided I had done about as much as I was capable of doing to it.It still has some defects. But it is as best as I can make it. I think if I ever find a peice of chrome similar to what goes in the middle of the hood and put some decals on it,it will look a bit better.I have missplaced the Penfield chrome letters for the front of the hood.I have looked everywhere but it has been a LONG time since I took them off the hood so they would not get damaged..Now it is just GONE.
Anyhow,What are your suggjestions for routeing the exhaust? I can't find a decent pic of a factory setup and everything I find online shows a crooked bunch of pipe fittings and what all else.I would like to route it in such a way it aint blowing back on me and not burning the hood paint.The exhaust never went out the front of the machine as there was a peice of screen in the grill which I need to find a better peice or repair the old 1 best I can. The muffler is NOT tight in the hole and I do know not to try to run it rubbing the fuel line!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00146 (Medium).JPG
Views:	13
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	339522   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00147 (Medium).JPG
Views:	17
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	339523   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00148 (Medium).JPG
Views:	11
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	339524   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00149 (Medium).JPG
Views:	11
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	339525  
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 10:20:06 PM
Registered-III

Is that the hood that had all the bullet holes? If so great job. Tractor looks nice, love the paint, blue and white is very sharp.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:32:29 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Wade7 View Post
Is that the hood that had all the bullet holes? If so great job. Tractor looks nice, love the paint, blue and white is very sharp.
Yes,it is the same hood,I made a new top. There is defects,some wavy spots,underside shows the repairs all to well but considering I am trying to make chicken salad out of chicken manure I think I did a fair job.The blue is as close as I could get to the factory color,it is almost a perfect match.
Decals are going to be a issue because no 2 are alike that I see on youtube or whereever.So I will just come up with a happy medium .It is not like there will be 26 more of these at the shows I take it to that it can be compared to!
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post: