Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

Farmall 560 Diesel, CAREFUL shot of ether OK?

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 1131 times

Old 07-07-2019, 11:48:17 AM
Registered

Default Farmall 560 Diesel, CAREFUL shot of ether OK?

I bought a '62 Farmall 560D. I am pretty sure some (or all) of the glow plugs are burned out. Dare I CAREFULLY and JUDICIOUSLY give it a short shot if ether (if I have to) just to get it home? Or is ANY ether an absolute NO-NO on a tractor with glow plugs?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2019, 12:31:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,897 Times in 3,201 Posts
Default Re: Farmall 560 Diesel, CAREFUL shot of ether OK?

IF it was mine- (DISCLAIMER- it isn't, so make your own decision and live with the aftermath) I would try a hairdryer down the intake and see if it will fire up. If not, then you probably need two people for the only way I use starting fluid on any diesel. Get it cranking over first WITHOUT USING GLOW PLUGS and give it a tiny shot of fluid. If it doesn't try to start, quit. If it does try, give it one more. Then give up if its not running.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 12:38:36 PM
Registered-II

Not a fan of starting fluid on diesels
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Shannon For This Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 01:57:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,276 Times in 695 Posts

If the glow plugs aren't working, you can give it a shot of ether. Most of those IH diesels didn't start as good as a Case.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heins For This Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 02:06:43 PM
Sponsor

If ONE of them glow plugs is half way working you can Blow the head off. Without removing the bolts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russell Walker For This Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 03:11:58 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,017 Times in 3,090 Posts

The glow plugs on those tractors aren't automatic. They are activated by manually holding the push button switch. So unless you have been manually pushing the button, the glow plugs won't heat. Also if they're bad there isn't any risk of them heating. Also you'd have to use about a case full of either cans to blow the head off. For some absurd reason folks greatly exaggerate the damage ether will do. The worst case would be broken ring grooves on the top ring, or a broken intake mounting on todays engines. Early manifold heaters simply used diesel fuel pumped into the intake and ignited by a spark plug provided. The torch in the intake is reliable, some folks also use WD 40 instead of ether, but the engine has to be cranking while the spray is administered. I personally have used ether for decades and never had any issues, just use it sparingly. IHC also provided factory installed ether assist kits on their later models. It's not rocket science to keep that set up working and it is necessary on those engines for cold starting. It's basically the same as used on the Ford diesel pickups with the 6.9 and 7.3 engines, but those systems are automatic engage. I always test each glow plug to see if they heat up before installation. The glow plugs draw as much current as the starter motor does, so the circuit has it's own solenoid relay to provide current to the glow plugs. The push button only activates the solenoid. Just follow the current to find the failure. Also if the tires are up, the tractor can be pull started, the T A Shifter must be in the forward position for that to work.

---------- Post added at 02:11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58:03 PM ----------

Another thought on poor starting diesels. All too often people tend to blame it on the glow plugs, but more often it's either bad injector tips or a weak pump not supplying enough pressure to pop the injectors at cranking speed. The tip has to have a spray pattern with a fine mist for easy starting. Worn nozzle's or low pump pressure cause the tip to dribble a sloppy charge that needs an open flame to ignite. The ether shot simply gives the engine a kick in the piston to get rpms up enough for the fuel to light.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 03:45:58 PM
Registered-II

DO NOT USE ETHER on that motor. That D282 was designed short on head bolts --- and are prone to blowing head gaskets . Order some glow plugs and install them -- perhaps have some spares as well. You arnt going any where with out them. When they are working properly that is a very good starting motor even in extreme cold like here in Manitoba winters.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Beddome For This Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 03:54:27 PM
Subscriber

WD40 works great to fire diesels!! And safe to use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gasenginegangster For This Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 03:58:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,421 Times in 925 Posts

Give the starter a shot of 24 volts and it will likely crack right off in warm weather. Has this thing been running recently or has it sat for years? Big difference!! I've also roll started mine, you can get a lotta spin, but probably not wise on a new tractor. How did the last owner start it?

If it hasn't ran in years, you gotta be careful since you got no idea why it isn't starting.

In any case, the warmer you can get the engine, the better, and the faster you crank it, the better.
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 04:24:42 PM
Registered

Thanks Guys. If I have to use anything, I'll try WD-40. I think it will start ok. I had it running a week ago when I bought it, but it was a very hot afternoon and I am going to pick it up in the early morning.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:45:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,421 Times in 925 Posts

Bring a battery charger and a hot spare battery. If you got it cranked before you can probably get it going again if it spins fast enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 06:40:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,525 Times in 1,649 Posts

When I was growing up we had a 560 D that I'd used every day to feed hay. When I'd get in from school in the winter I'd go to the barn and I had a heat lamp mounted on a stand that I would sit under the oil pan. It would be about an inch from the oil pan and would heat it up good. I'd go change clothes and wait about an hour for the oil to heat up. I'd go back to the barn and move the heat lamp out of the way and hop on the tractor. The 560 had a factory ether set up. A can of ether was mounted on the side of engine with a push button on the dash. A can would last a couple of months. You would get the engine cranking and then hit the button for the ether. That thing would then hit a few times and belch and blow smoke and then you would hit the ether button again. Then it would start hitting more, belching, blowing smoke, mostly white at first then turning black. It would knock and peck and sputter and then after about 30 seconds would clear up and run like a top. It did this the same way for probably 6 years before dad traded it off. Never failed and I had to use ether about every time I started it when the engine was cold, even in the summer. I didn't have to use the heat bulb in the summer though. While I'm not telling you to use ether, I'm just letting you know I probably used it 1500 times starting that old 560 and never had any issues with a head gasket, etc.

Last edited by LCJudge; 07-08-2019 at 12:08:34 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LCJudge For This Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 11:46:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,045 Times in 1,625 Posts

Ether won't hurt it if the glow plugs aren't working, just use it sparingly, and as said WHILE cranking. You might as well piss in the intake as use WD-40, it's useless...
Smokstak member #442
The Following User Says Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 08:37:04 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,113 Times in 506 Posts

Test them like I mentioned in the other thread. They are easy to change. If you got 3-4 working it will still start just not the greatest.

Kelly T
Old 07-09-2019, 10:24:49 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,496 Times in 882 Posts

we had one of these years ago and it was always a pain to start, when we decided to give it a rebuild we found the camshaft timing to be off one tooth! after overhaul and putting the timing back correct it always started easy. just something to think about, if compression is up, glow plugs are working and the fuel system is up to snuff and you are still having hard starting issues you may want to check the cam timing. by the way before the overhaul if you could get it started it had all the power in the world even with the cam timing off!
Old 07-09-2019, 11:26:50 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,625 Times in 2,427 Posts
Wink Re: Farmall 560 Diesel, CAREFUL shot of ether OK?

I wish I had a nickel for every time during the Wintertime when I was growing up and had to give the old Case 770 or 970 a shot of ether to get them started and feed the cows. I'd be a pretty rich man now....and NO, they NEVER self destructed.....

Mike
Old 07-11-2019, 05:42:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,908 Times in 959 Posts

Is it possible to pull start just to get it home? I have a 340 diesel that we pull started before. Otherwise, I have to say, it has glowplugs also and there is NOTHING better than a good battery, good set of glowplugs and harness, and a good starter on them. Otherwise you may just be wishing in one hand. Steiners' has glowplugs for fewer dollars than Case/IH and I went through quite a few of them before I made a new harness and good connections for them, then got a new starter. Seems to me when you have to have the charger on every time you start the glowplugs wont live long, good starts every time are worth the cost.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:03:44 AM
Registered-II

First symptom of using either on the d282 is the head gasket starts leaking coolant into the motor/ combustion chamber area. Then if it sits long enough you wind up with rust seized motor.. Other wise if the tractor is used every day the head gasket fails between the middle two cylinders to the point where the motor wont decent run any more . Not as dramatic as some people are saying --- like the head making a dent in the shed roof etc. LC Judge -- with the either kit on your dads motor it is actually very little injected as apposed to spray can in the intake breather as you mentioned the can lasted a long time . Your dad probably noticed the motor starting to run rough (when warmed up) and antifreeze in the oil on oil changes -- that is why he traded it off. The glow plugs need to be kept in working condition and this is a good starting motor. If you have one that repeatedly burns out it is an indication of an injector giving trouble -- in that it is spraying on the glow plug (so it was told to me )

---------- Post added at 08:03:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55:00 AM ----------

On the use of wd40 for starting diesels -- apparently it did work years ago but they changed the formula, May be if you have an old can it might still work but not the new stuff. If you are stuck trying to start a diesel with out a can of ether an old trick is to soak a rag in gasoline and then put in a place where the fumes will get sucked into the motor. With a paper type of filter just drape the rag over the filter element .
Old 07-31-2019, 09:50:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,525 Times in 1,649 Posts

I had an old lawn mower years ago that I used to start on WD 40. It would start but would smoke like ---- . I haven't tried to start something on WD in the last 8 to 10 years. Wonder what they changed? Possibly the propellant that pressurized the can? In years gone by a little bit of liquid propane was often put in the can with the product. It would cause the can to pressurize. I think manufacturers are gradually phasing out its use.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:39:38 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,897 Times in 3,201 Posts

My understanding is that WD40 did change the propellant some time ago.