Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

My new Mower

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 583 times

Old 06-28-2019, 08:02:13 AM
Registered

Talking My new Mower

Commercial grade walk behind Bunton. The company was bought by BobCat as I understand now.
It has a 44 or 48-inch deck, 14hp manual start Kohler engine and the reason it is now mine.
I have had to work on it before to get it to start the former owner is a run them dry guy with nothing in the fuel. In every case, I have had to remove the float bowl and free up the valve and seat which had the float stuck.

I finally got him to use StaBil in it, but of course if a little (per the bottle label.) is good more is better. Then you encounter sand-like substance that clogs up the filter and valve in the seat.

He only used it a couple of times a year since 2006 to mow paths alongside the rented out field and thru the woods where he can't get his compact Ford and brush hog.

Commercial grade walk behind Bunton. The company was bought by BobCat as I understand now.
It has a 44 or 48-inch deck, 14hp manual start Kohler engine and the reason it is now mine.
I have had to work on it before to get it to start the former owner is a run them dry guy with nothing in the fuel. In every case, I have had to remove the float bowl and free up the valve and seat which had the float stuck.

I finally got him to use StaBil in it, but of course if a little (per the bottle label.) is good more is better. Then you encounter sand-like substance that clogs up the filter and valve in the seat.

He only used it a couple of times a year since 2006 to mow paths alongside the rented out field and thru the woods where he can't get his compact Ford and brush hog.

I plan on using it to mow along out new fence line. We finally got the last post set in place yesterday in the morning.

Also will mow the paths thru the field the pups and I walk.

I plan on using it to mow along out new fence line. We finally got the last post set in place yesterday in the morning.

Also will mow the paths thru the field the pups and I walk.

Al
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2019, 12:49:55 PM
Registered

Talking Re: My new Mower

Did testing to all saftey switches and they all tested as good. Removed the coil and tested it and found it to be bad.
Bought a new coil had it shipped and it got to a town 20 miles away and got lost there. Reordered once I got my refund and recieved the coil in two days.

Installed the coil and pulled the rope to start it and it broke. removed the recoil and installed a new rope. It started then and works well.

I do need to rework the sulky as it is hokie and sets at a up hill angle.

Al
Old 08-09-2019, 02:49:37 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: My new Mower

Be very, very careful using a sulky on a hill and when turning. Those handle bars can do you in real quickly! The local landscapers went to stand-on sulkys that were much safer, but found those to destroy your knees. Now, everybody use Z-turn riders.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:52:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,138 Times in 1,935 Posts

Yea a handle to the crotch a time or 2 and that sulky will be in the junk pile! You might cuss as you toss it but it will high pitched like a little girl. It takes a while to get your voice back .I learned it behind a John deere walk behind.
We tried a Velkie for a while but I threw it in the back of the truck and went back to walking.
A buddy just bought a new Scag stander and he thought it was the cat's meow for a short time.Now he complains it hurts his knees. Well bud you aint 18 anymore! Get another zero turn!

By the way,thanks for posting a pic of that sulky as now I know what the 1 fits I have stuck behind the old shop I gave 10 bucks for about 20 years ago.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:52:05 PM
Registered-III

" I gave 10 bucks for about 20 years ago."

Probably to some high pitched guy!
The Following User Says Thank You to gdstew For This Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 04:57:09 AM
Registered

Talking Re: My new Mower

I only use the new mower to mow along my new fence.

I have a ExMark for mowing lawns.

Al