Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Stopping at Scales

this thread has 30 replies and has been viewed 10311 times

Old 06-21-2006, 10:07:19 AM
Registered-II

Talking Re: Stopping at Scales

I know a guy who is big into the antique truck thing. A few years ago he restored a B61 Mack to haul his stuff to shows. He got nailed everywhere he went for all kinds of fees and permits. I suggested an RV might solve his problem. He mounted an Airstream trailer on the back of a GMC General Skirted it and made a nice RV out of it and bought a large bumper pull trailer. He says he has not been bothered since. I have a cabover camper on my 3/4 ton and pull a 22' trailer and have never been hassled. RV's enjoy invisability where the DOT gestapo is concerned.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2006, 10:21:12 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Stopping at Scales

Hmmm.... perhaps the dude in the overloaded ranger should comment.....

I have had problems before, mainly with my trailer not having amber marking lights. Funny, it passed it's inspection when it was built, but it won't pass now...oh well......

Weight limits have been a problem, but that is because 164K miles have a tendency to make the springs in the back sag a bit. basically, because I don't have enough space to haul too much, my weight is never that bad.

I have the old Lima 2.5...so I can still be within the weight rating (brakes, suspension) of the truck, but not have enough grunt power to move stuff. amazingly, the clutch is still orignal.

As to things being unjust....I think it's time to keep the constitution, declaration of independence, etc, but get rid of every other law on the books, and get rid of every one in charge and start over again.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:23:22 PM
Subscriber

gentleman... im more of a "hammer down" type of guy myself..
Old 11-26-2007, 01:49:17 AM
Registered-I

We have never had a problem pulling a 30 foot gooseneck out to the west coast several times and to Florida every year, until 2004. My wife and I were on a vacation/tractor hunting trip in Florida and had just loaded the first tractor down by Ft. Lauderdale. A Dot cop pulled me over and came up and asked for my log book, registration, etc. Then he said I was over 102" wide. I didn't have a log book filled out so the arguement began.To make a long story short I was under 102 wide and he said Floridas new law states that if you are more than 100 miles from home, and your pickup truck and trailer weigh at any time over 10,000 lbs you are considered a commercial vehicle. Then he asked me if I had crossed the scales on the way down and I said honestly this truck and trailer have never been across a set of scales anywhere in the US. Then he told me that I would probably be pulled over again before I left the state and he gave me his patrollmans business card and told me to make darn sure I stopped at the scales on my way north and to get a log book and fill it out. The best part of the trip was we loaded 1 more tractor and blew past the scales on the way out of the state. I drive truck full time hauling grain and have good equip., not junk and it is unbelievable the BS we go through in OH and Mi. It's not about safety, it's about revenue. They dream up these stupid laws so they can create jobs for all these creeper cops that couldn't keep a job at the Petrolube.

Jim
Old 12-04-2007, 10:30:31 AM
Registered-III

I dont have trailer brakes , lights , CDL's , insurance , What a waste of time and money .I just run Mexican plates .
Old 12-04-2007, 08:38:49 PM
Registered-II

..got a written warning in Indiana that trailers are not allowed in the left lane. Period.
I understand from friends there that you can bypass the scales in Nebraska with a truck and trailer if the scales are full. I have, with no problems, but do stop if few trucks in line. Don't need the headaches!. They sure hassle my friend in Omaha with scales and log books for his pick-up and trailer!!
Several years ago, I bought a 1974 GMC 6000 series, with a Garland crane on the back. I only bought it for the crane, and called the Michigan Secretary of State to see what it would take to drive the rig home. They said 72 hours with signed and dated title, no plates or insurance needed. And a chauffer's license if under 26001 lbs. total.I had to drive from Detroit about 40 miles home, chose an early Sunday morning to avoid traffic and headed home. I wasn't even thinking about the scales at all, and when I saw they were open, I decided to just go by.
My exit was the next one and I got about three miles down the road when he caught up to me!! Thought he was going to swallow his cigar stub when he yelled "whyd you bypass the weigh station?" and I said.. "I thought that was for BIG trucks!!"
"WHAT THE H*LL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DRIVING!!??" he cussed.
I had to travel the surface back to the freeway, stop at the station after weighing in. I was 14,500 lbs. , well in the legal limits, but he wrote me for

by-passing the weigh station
bald tires
bad plate (should have taken the old plate off...)
no name on the side of the truck
no health certificate.
...on the computer, but not in my hand, so just a BIG warning!

said that other states say
Over 6000 lbs.
or over 10000 lbs with trailer, etc.
But in Michigan the signs say ALL TRUCKS.
That means pickups, even with no trailer!! ALL trucks. U-Haul, El Caminos, S-10s.... ALL trucks. He said they don't strictly enforce it, but CAN!
I'm going to have the crane on a restored (when I finish it!!) 1948 International KBS-6 and plan to stop at weigh stations!
Mike
Old 12-05-2007, 07:18:13 PM
Subscriber

Well this doesn't concern stopping at scales, but I am wondering and waiting, and I'm ready to run to the court house, so I can get my permits to run my antique h-m/t-g engines, my david bradley gt's, and especially my smoking Maytag. They haven't done it yet but I guarantee they will very soon. I hope we don't get hillary, she would probably bring it up the 1st day in office.
Johnny
Old 12-05-2007, 08:15:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,565 Times in 1,116 Posts

SUV's Minivans and pickups are all listed as trucks, if all were to stop I think they would have to change the law, traffic would be backed up for miles.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:08:35 PM
ihredo4

In 2005 I had to make a trip from Illinois to Washington to get two 5500 lb tractors. I have a F-350 and a borrowed trailer. Truck licensed at 12k and trailer at 24k. My rig loaded w/ 1 and 1/2 tractors topped out at 18600. I had contacted federal dot in d.c. about my situation. I am diabetic hence no chance in hell of me getting a cdl or rather med. card. What laws do I abide by? He refered me to:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ction_toc=1738

(f) Exceptions. Unless otherwise specifically provided, the rules in this subchapter do not apply to —

(f)(3) The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise;

Based on this it would pertain to non-commercial no $ transaction. And it is my own personal property with no write-offs ..... I AM EXEMPT.

I did need to have a class A non-cdl license though to be personally legal

I kept the mans name and phone and direct number for further help if needed.

As far as scales go. He told me just drive on by. If they have a question the will come after you.

Interesting enough This truck combo costs close to $60 in tolls on I-90 from the Mississippi River to Connecticut on a trip and flat $0 west althe way to Washington. Which way do you think I am going to buy tractors?

Good Luck, Ihredo4
Old 12-23-2007, 05:07:18 AM
Registered-III

Commerce implies hauling under contract for services. If the product you are carrying is not for hire and you are indeed the end user then you are to be exempt under a certain gross wt. as prescribed by interstate rules. Many of us old racers would pull our trailers with 1 ton trucks (350/3500) to aviod any scales whatso ever. Then guys were buying (450/4500 or 550/5500) because other than badging on the bodies they looked like 1 ton trucks but with heavier suspensions. From a distance they appeared to be exempt but in reality they would be required to weigh because of their increased gross. CA has now required this year that all trucks sold as 1 tons and greater will be required to have wt. stickers displayed on both doors private or Commercial listing combined gross vehicle wt. Any truck that is stickered is now required to go through the scales if it is rated at 1 1/4 tons or greater. It is all about revenue under the guise of keeping the roads safe. If you travel beyond a 100 mi radius of your home you had better be carrying log books for hours of driving and daily vehicle inspection reports since these are required of all commercial vehicles. The exception comes if your trailer is reg as a RV. A comm trailer can be re registered as an rv if is has a portipotty, bed and a certain percentage of window space per square footage of walls.This will all become a hot topic if commercial enforcement officers decide to interpret the laws as they stand, and eventually they will. If they want to push the envelope on what you are carrying inre to commerce you best have proof that what is on your trailer is truly yours and not someone elses. Don't go down the highway with for sale signs and prices on your toys. Also it helps to have plainly visible on your vehicle and or trailer in contrasting letters 2" high that plainly state "NOT FOR HIRE" to indicate that this is indeed a private vehicle and don't have it registered to a company name, corp, etc but to a specific person. Even if you are hauling for personal use if it is registered to a company it is commercial and will be called into play at the officers descretion. All airbrake controlled vehicles must go through the scales with a combined gross of 28K lbs. Also don't be over gross for the wt you have paid for as determined by your door stickers. Extremely expensive as well as log book violations, which are point violations on your driving record.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:06:13 AM
Registered-II

I have been trying to keep track of the various rules for the various states and it is getting confusing. I have been through some of those states mentioned with a RV trailer and engines in the back of the pickup. Lucky and brain dead about it all up until this little gem of a thread. It is small potatoes however compared to this. I want you all to know about recent info from my state representative regarding his request for support to fight the new REAL I.D. drivers license we might all be carrying soon. He claims that our liberties are at risk due to this legislation. It is part of the National I.D. System. The license will have personal information embedded in a magnetic strip on it. Name, Address,S.S. #, driver history, financial history, digitized map based on biometrics that maps points of your face plus undisclosed additional personal information. How does that one grab you guys? If you want to learn more bring up Pennsylvania House Bill 1351. He is co sponsoring legislation enacted to get Pa. exempted from conformity to this new drivers license. Just when the eggnog and libation are kicking in they try to pull a sneaky one on us, not old Mike though. Inform yourself, call your people, don't relax too much cause they don't! Soapbox is now back in the corner. Happy Holidays To All.