Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Trailer plug?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 2845 times

Old 11-17-2012, 07:50:03 PM
Registered-II

Default Trailer plug?

I just got a used toy hauler camper, which has the 7 pin camper stype plug( going to haul some engines around to shows with it and camp All my trucks are wired for the 6 pin plug like on stock trailers. I got an adapter to go from 6 to 7. What I would like to know what is the big center post on the camper plug for? Is it used as a hot wire for say charging the camper battery from the truck? The adapter makes all the lights and turn signals work. On my other trailers I got the ground through the hitch, is one of the extra pins on the camper plug for the ground? These are all the round plugs ,the one on my trucks are just smaller. I tried looking it up but could not find out for sure what the center pin was for. I took a test light and a battery and and could tell what most of the pins were for. One side pin when I tested it with a battery seemed like a dead short is that a pin for the ground?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2012, 08:13:55 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,647 Times in 1,660 Posts
Photo Re: Trailer plug?

According to the instructions I have it is called BU and is for Backup.

Found a picture...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer plug.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	149752  

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fred Van Hook For This Post:
Old 11-17-2012, 09:21:31 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Trailer plug?

If you are relying on the hitch to provide the ground I can guarantee your lights are doing some really strange things while running down the road, and your electric brake action will also suffer. Reliable ground can only be provided thru the lighting cable and plug. If you are reading a dead short on one of the side pins, you have indeed found the ground connection.

The 7 pin flat connector plug is most commonly referred to as a 7 pin RV plug, and is now standard equipment on every trailer ready consumer sized PU and SUV sold in the US and Canada. Every trailer I have seen in the last few years comes with the 4 pin flat, or 7 pin RV if it has brakes. Only extra connection from 6 to 7 pin is the B/U lights. Here is the 6 pin for reference. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6 pin plug.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	149762  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toesmack For This Post:
Old 11-17-2012, 10:00:50 PM
Registered-II

Thank you Toesmack
I guess I didn't look hard enough for the information. I was thinking the center pin was for the battery on my truck. You would think it would be the same on the other. Even the wire colors change for the different functions. I am pretty sure I do not have a 12 volt wire from the truck wired up. If I run a hot wire from the truck through the plug will that charge the battery on the camper? Also what gage wire should I use if so?

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

My bad about the colors, didn't look close enough. One of the charts I found I though they changed colors for different functions.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:14:07 PM
Subscriber

Yep, it'll charge the trailer battery just fine, provided the trailer has a lead to the battery. Add a fuse or breaker close to the truck battery to protect the system from any ugliness that happens downstream. I use a 30 amp, plenty heavy, but will still pop if you happen to let the magic smoke out. I normally run a minimum of a 12 ga. wire, but see that the truck manufacturers usually run some pretty small stuff, and I have not had any problem with the factory supplied wiring.

Note, if you have a power draw in the trailer, it WILL also drain the truck battery. Simple fix, just unplug trailer if hitched up for several days. Cheap insurance.

Happy wiring!

By the way, you can't always bank on the colors being correct. Seem plenty of 'em switched by previous experts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toesmack For This Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 05:04:13 AM
Registered

Here are some helpful pictures for you to use as a reference. As stated above, never trust the coloring, trailer companies just seem to use whatever they have laying around it seems. I have re-wired almost every trailer I own or use on a regular basis, as well as a few for friends or family. When re-wiring them I always make sure that they are properly colored and run every wire, most companies only run 6 wire with the 7 wire RV plug because there is not a back-up light on most trailers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trailer wiring.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	149950   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer wiring plugs.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	149951  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 06 Diesel For This Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 07:13:30 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,569 Times in 1,119 Posts

[QUOTE=Tom Nowak;839443]Thank you Toesmack
I am pretty sure I do not have a 12 volt wire from the truck wired up. If I run a hot wire from the truck through the plug will that charge the battery on the camper?

On some of the GM trucks you had to connect the wire to a stud on the rear of the fuse box, it was hanging loose near the master cylinder, you then had to install a maxi fuse in the fuse box.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 12:02:41 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,224 Times in 861 Posts

I run dual batteries under the hood of my truck and my jeep for charging the trailer and for power to the Ham Radios, CB, and winch. I run my 2nd battery on a battery isolator (available At most automotive audio dealers) the isolator isolates the 2nd battery from the primary when the ignition is turned off, that way I always have a primary battery for start up and a 2ndary battery for all the toys. Plus, my 2ndary is a deep cycle RV battery so it will last days while running any of the accessories, even with the vehicle turned off.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:09:07 PM
Subscriber

Yes, it will tie the trailer battery to the truck battery in parallel provided the trailer battery is wired to the plug also. This will charge the trailer battery when the truck is running. Just be aware that when tied together, and using the trailer power, you will also be discharging the truck.

On some of the GM trucks, they had a auxillary battery under the hood for your camper power. These had a isolator or "splitter" that prevented discharge of your truck engine battery when parked.

Could be the same system tied to the stud?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44:42 PM
Subscriber

When you go to the store to buy A adapter to go from seven flat to six round . I think there may be a diff between a ford and a dodge adapter dont know about chevy ... Is this possible ???????
Old 11-20-2012, 10:29:05 PM
Registered-II

Thanks guys I think I can get the hot wire figured out now

Next question.

I use a small 2500 winch to pull the engines on to different trailers. Just use a battery to power the winch. How heavy of a wire should I use if I would power the winch from the battery that is mounted on the tongue of the toy hauler. The run would be 6 to 8 feet. I would used welder plug ends on the inside to get rid of the wires when not in use. the winch will also be removable. If I have the truck hooked up do I need to worry about the wire from the truck getting to hot. If I would get the battery isolator would that keep everything so nothing would melt down. I can use the same battery several times before having to charge it. Most of the time I just charge it to be on the safe side. What if I got a cheap set of jumper cables and cut the ends off and used the the wire? Might even be able to find an old set lying around.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:15:23 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
When you go to the store to buy A adapter to go from seven flat to six round . I think there may be a diff between a ford and a dodge adapter dont know about chevy ... Is this possible ???????
Adapters will all be the same. The truck manufacturers do not have different RV plugs, they are all standard.

Tom, that little winch will run fine with 2 ga cable on such a short run. Isolator will protect you pretty well. Also if you fuse the line, you will protect yourself from overdraw. Try it, if too hot, you'll know right away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toesmack For This Post: