Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

casting crucible

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 3680 times

Old 06-23-2005, 04:03:37 PM
Registered-II

Default casting crucible

Hi, I just got a big casting furnace, but no crucibles. Does anyone know where to get crucibles that are capable of melting cast iron and steel. The places I have looked don't sell them. The crucible can be bigger than a one gallon bucket if they need to. Thanks, Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2005, 05:13:21 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: casting crucible

I have ordered from here.
http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/
but I see they don't have any for iron. if I was you, I would write cattail foundry, or one of the other small foundries and ask where they get theirs. I know there are a few small time guys around in Minnesota and Iowa, but I don't have their business cards handy. Have you read http://stephenchastain.com/ books yet?

what kind of furnace did you get?
Old 06-23-2005, 10:51:57 PM
Registered-II

No, I have never heard of those books. I think that I have found a place that sells the crucibles I need though. The website is www.globalspec.com. once there just search for crucible. The furnace is just a homemade thing that uses 3/8 inch thick steel that is 6 inches wide. The furnace is about three feet tall and about 2.5 feet wide to the outside. I still need to make a lid for it though, and get a blower setup for it. That will be easy though. Thanks for the info. Jeremy
Old 06-24-2005, 11:25:37 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: casting crucibles

Some good information here: http://www.rockisland.com/~marshall/index.html
Old 06-26-2005, 11:36:15 AM
Email Not Working

Jeremy,
A reason that you donít find many crucibles capable of iron or steel is that most foundry suppliers will tell you ďyou canít melt iron in a gas furnaceĒ. Iíve seen it done but only for very small parts. With the amount of work left on your furnace I would suggest scrapping that idea and build a homemade cupola with the design by Steve Chastain. Sorry to dampen your day. A cupola can melt iron very fast and efficient. There are many engineering details described by Steve in his book and all are very important. The difficulty you would have with melting iron or steel in a gas fired furnace is that the temperatures donít get high enough. The turee (sp?) of a cupola increases the velocity and there-by the melting capacity. Your gas furnace would be very good for Aluminum or brass.
Are there any foundries you can visit? I see your near Rapid City and Iím not aware of any iron foundries out there. In Webster is Maureen Foundry. They would give you a tour for an hour or so. If you visited my Foundry in Mankato, Iíd show you everything. I have a whole listing of crucibles in my Modern Castings buyers guide. I could send you the magazine if youíd like or you can join American Foundry Society and receive a copy.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:24:14 PM
Registered-II

I never would have thought that the furnace would not get hot enough. I will probably try to melt a little iron in it to see if it will work. If not I guess I will have to build a cupola. I might have to go to webster and talk to them to get the just of everything. If that big furnace won't melt iron or steel I don't know what to do with it. Thanks for the help. Jeremy
Old 06-26-2005, 10:31:18 PM
Registered-III

Try McMaster -Carr i dont have their latest catalog mine has them listed