Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

6HP Associated restoration

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1605 times

Old 01-29-2012, 09:15:22 PM
Registered-II

Default 6HP Associated restoration

Hi All,
I am just starting to restore my stationary 6HP Associated engine. It is a throttle governed engine. I have a question regarding the opening in the top of the hopper - I looks to me like it may of been cut out and widened? It does not 'roll' down into the opening like the other Associated engines that I have or have seen. As you can see it is an older restoration and I was thinking that it may have been cut to access the hopper bolts easier. Seems a shame and I would like to get a replacement hopper if anyone has one out there? See the pics attached. What do you think??
Cheers, Luke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030402a.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	127334   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030407a.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	127335  
The Following User Says Thank You to Luke For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2012, 01:30:11 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: 6HP Associated restoration

Definately looks cut out for what reason. I have three of these engines and they have been poping up all over the world..
The Following User Says Thank You to S.Simons For This Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 02:04:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,197 Times in 863 Posts

There's a whole bunch over here

Sure does look like your hopper has been cut out rather brutally. I'm not sure where you would find a replacement but having said that we have a 2 1/4 hopper sitting on our bench at home so somebody out there may well have one. Maybe you could fabricate the missing part back in again its not hugely complicated?

Joe
Old 01-31-2012, 12:46:49 AM
Registered-II

Thanks for the replies, So far replacement hoppers are not jumping out of the woodwork at me! I am considering the option of replacing the cut out section with appropriate diameter rolled sections and brazing them in. The engine is to be fully painted anyway due to its current state so this would hide any repair.
Cheers
luke
Old 01-31-2012, 05:57:15 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,197 Times in 863 Posts

There was one 6 Mule once on Enginads which was a tank cooled heavily modified for the oil fields. It had a big plate over the block and pipework through the drain. All kinds of lubricators on it, new HT ignition and stuff, it was mighty impressive. If you appreciated it in the right eye if you were looking for a purists Associated it was a nail but I liked it as it was.

Did you contact Bill Graves on your enquiries he might help you? If you could find someone who has broken a 6 Mule you would think they would have a hopper, I guess they generally stay on the block. When you think about it I bet there is a few somewhere even if they are attached to frost damaged blocks with ruined bores.

I agree with you though a good repair will do the job as well if not better and that way you keep the part of the hopper that is original. Joe