Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

mystery large old engine

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1950 times

Old 10-11-2003, 06:06:20 AM
Gavin Bedggood

Default mystery large old engine

Hiya people,

Today I made an offer on the remains of an engine. It is WAY to far gone to restore but will make a nice feature for my garden. I would be interested to know what it is and how old it is... Here is what I know....and I know it is not much to go on. No pictures yet.

Water cooled. Horizontal single. Open crank. LARGE! Only markings I could find was on the left hand side of the barrel and it is two "horns" crossed with the wider part of the horn at the tops with a number 8 or letter B under it. these are rasied up from the barrel casting. Has a water pump on the right hand side (looking towards the head) that would have been operated from and excentic on the crank. Barrel would be an easy 2 and a half to 3 feet long.

Fly wheels and crank are missing and someone in the past has tryed to blow it up for scrap so parts of the water jacket have been blown away along with other bits.

The only clue really is the crossed horns.... does that ring any bells with anyone??

I will get pictures when I visit it next.

Regards from New Zealand, Gavin
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2003, 06:15:51 AM
Patrick M Livingstone

Default Re: mystery large old engine

It sounds like it may be a Hornsby Akroyd.

Old 10-11-2003, 06:20:01 AM
Gavin Bedggood

Hell that was quick Patrick! Yes that looks very much like the rusty remains I was looking at today!

Please tell me more about them. Regards Gavin
Old 10-11-2003, 09:14:14 AM
Patrick M Livingstone

Hi Gavin. The Hornsby-Akroyd engines were built by Richard Hornsby in Grantham, England. The first one in 1892 and the last Akroyd in about 1905. After that they dropped the Akroyd name as the patent had lapsed. There were two Hornsby-Akroyds and quite a few Hornsbys at the National Rally held down in Victoria earlier this year. The horns, I think, were on the earlier engines and not on the later ones. Sounds like you have found a nice, rare, garden ornament

National Rally
Old 10-12-2003, 04:01:54 PM
Todd Osborne

Hi Gavin I just saw your post on smokestack Re: mystery engine. It sounds like you have an ID now but how about size hp? are there any markings?. also there are two different styles of Akroyd engine, base engines and girder engines the photo Patrick posted is a girder type and were "all portables", base engines were mainly sold after 1900 but a few girder-portables were sold after as old stock. Is your engine on a transport?? most engines with water pumps were portables. I have plenty of H/A photos and own a 6 1/2hp example my self, if you want any further info just drop me a line. Todd Osborne NZ
Old 10-13-2003, 03:42:39 AM
Gavin Bedggood

Hiya Todd, Thanks for the info. It's on the remains of a girder platform. (ie seperate block and crank stands) Does anyone know what year they stopped casting the Horns and B into the blocks? As for markings... their was something cast into the supports for where the crank would be if their was one... but I didn't write them down. I have yet to go over it inch by inch but I will! I have been told to look around the base of the barrel and on the crank supports as it seem they might be the only bits left that might have a number on them. I will not be back to where the engine sits on the ground in a open field for a few weeks. Let me know your number Todd and I will give you a call if that's ok. What year and type is yours Todd? Thanks Gavin gavinnz@xtra.co.nz
Old 10-16-2003, 01:18:19 PM
SIMON THOMSON

Hi Patrick, Is that the same engine featured in Stationary Engine magazine. If so you did one mother of a restoration job.

Regards from Scotland.

Simon.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:39:23 AM
Patrick M Livingstone

Hi Simon. The big, green 12.5hp Akroyd was at the National Rally down in Victoria earlier this year. Sadly it is not mine (a little too big for me) but the restoration was stunning. There was also a later 9.5hp Akroyd at the same rally.

National Rally