Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Diesel pickups... temporary fad or not?

this thread has 44 replies and has been viewed 6131 times

Old 01-27-2016, 06:16:55 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,007 Times in 3,085 Posts
Default Re: Diesel pickups... temporary fad or not?

In a word, Fire hazard! Ford and GM were in the Ambulance and school bus business. There were several bus accidents with devastating fires that took a lot of lives and same in the other heavy use vehicles such as ambulances and tow trucks etc. The law suits were piling up big time. Navistar designed the V8 diesel to replace it's gas engines in the school busses and the V8 would basically be a bolt in change. Ford was under the gun to do something fast and made the deal with Navistar to supply their needs til they could get their own program on board( think 6.0). Same in the heavy farm equipment market. Engine fires on tractors and combines and resultant law suits are the reason IHC no longer exists! Even tho they had a good diesel option available, the gas option was considerably cheaper to buy but soon became the reason they had to get out of the equipment business to avoid further liability losses on the considerable amount of old units still in service.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2016, 07:36:36 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,007 Times in 3,085 Posts

We know this is the reason the big gassers had to go, that and the price of fuel at the time. All those law suits were tried here in our local county. The main attorney that brought all these suits to court has made many millions of dollars for his efforts.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:39:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,146 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListerDiesel View Post
Our two Renault vans have never had the engines touched other than regular servicing. One covered over 250k miles before something started to go wrong in the balancer shafts at the bottom of the engine, the other is still going strong at 180k miles and just had the clutch go on it. Ran them both on semi-synthetic 10W-40 diesel oil.

I don't understand why the USA is so behind on diesels, we have many big truck brands in Europe with some really nice power plants, but the US doesn't seem to get diesels at all.

Most are manual boxes of course, 6-speed on the Renaults.

Automatics are rare in Europe, especially in the heavies, but Allison auto's are used, ans some makers use ZF or make their own.

Peter
First generation Duramax's have injector problems, mainly because GM did not spec a quality 2 micron filter and chose a 10 micron filter. On top of that they put the injectors under the valve covers which makes it such a PIA to get to 1 that you might as well replace all if you have to go there. Later models had redesigned valve covers, better injectors, and better fuel filtration. Injectors on my truck were replaced twice under warranty, and now once by me, including replacing 2 injector cups that were damaged by mechanics that did the warranty work.

Stealership wanted 5K to replace injectors, plus $ to set valve lash (they were at .030+ ), plus more $ to put new O-rings on injector cups, for that kind of money you'd be better off putting a down payment on a new truck. I did it all myself, including adding a CAT 2 micron filter, for just over 3K. I will admit I was not real confident with my work when the job was done, and I was worried all the way to Nevada, but I'm feeling a lot better about it now. Whats the worst that could happen? If you do not get injector cups seated and sealed properly with red loctite you WILL hydro-lock the engine
Old 01-28-2016, 02:47:45 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,235 Times in 966 Posts

PETER: Re' your question of why the US is so behind on diesels, I suppose you could point to the tremendous inertia of a vast mass production industry wedded, body, soul and billions invested, to gasoline vehicles, always haunted by the childhood trauma of the original contest with steamers and electrics...
But a more likely reason is the American Mental Syndrome: NIH---Not Invented Here---which warps the judgment of foreign developments, resulting in a knee-jerk reaction/conclusion "US is best" that, all too often, has little or no basis in fact...
We do see more and more outside developments accepted, probably because few of the old line US industries are US anymore, but multi-national, which seems to mean they feel no relation to any country or area, except as labor/commodity suppliers or markets...
Old 01-28-2016, 08:32:51 AM
Registered-II

Another reason small diesels have a greater market share in Europe is due to European fuel tax structure favoring diesel motors.

It will be interesting to see how the new CAT IV technology matures into the small truck market here.

While I have and continue to maintain enough older diesels in my landscape truck fleet for for the foreseeable future(12 valve 5.9bt's and 6.2s), I have had to buy into this with recent purchase of a new mini track loader. This technology in general is overly complicated and does not have the bugs worked out yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dependable For This Post: