Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

black plastic fuel tank fungus

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1605 times

Old 01-26-2016, 11:33:08 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,480 Times in 771 Posts
Default black plastic fuel tank fungus

Few days ago I tried to start a Troy built gen with briggs engine.
6 months ago I had drained this out and ran it dry by shutting off valve and opened bowl drain but it did not help.
There was some residual ethanol in the tank which must have gotten wet.
The fuel system was frozen.
So after seeing the fuel bowl rust clogged, after the thaw I removed the inlet line and still no flow. So removed shut off valve on tank bottom and it was plugged with black fungus. Looking into the tank fuel fill I also see stringy globs of fungus.

So was thinking flush tank with water, then pour in some bleach to kill the fungus, flush it with more water than flush it will fuel.

So how do you prevent fungus growing in gasoline?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2016, 11:39:39 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: black plastic fuel tank fungus

Set fire to it?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roland Hayes For This Post:
Old 01-26-2016, 12:08:49 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Hayes View Post
Set fire to it?
I see you're in England, so do you get fungus growth in your gasoline ?

Flushed with hot water.
Now sitting with 50-50 mix of bleach and water, will let it sit for a couple of hours.
I am thinking maybe the fuel bowl should be removed to ensure there is no fuel left in the carb before putting it away again. The needle valve was corroded into the carb. aso makes me wonder if the needle seat in the carb is bad. The needle has the rubber seal not the carb. Can that be switched to having the rubber seal in the carb?
Old 01-26-2016, 02:24:22 PM
Registered-III

No, never seen any kind of mould in either gasoline or diesel here in the UK although I've read about others that have suffered from this affliction.
An idea that comes to my mind is to add some Cuprinol wood preservative to the gas, this product is in spirit form so in small volumes will probably mix with gas and is quite deadly to fungus.
Worth a try

Old 01-26-2016, 02:47:38 PM
Subscriber

I had an IHC diesel tractor with fungus in the fuel system. What a job to clean out. When I took the valve out of the tank no fuel would come out. Had to take a wire with a hook on the end and pull the stuff out. It looked like white / gray stringy slime. It had also plugged up the primary fuel pump.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:49:59 PM
Registered-III

Sounds like me trying to blow my nose this morning
Old 01-26-2016, 03:32:52 PM
Subscriber

I've seen both types, the black slimy and the white stringy, and my belief is that ethanol gasoline is behind it.

I am not sure how this happens in terms of chemical reactions. However, it seems to happen in fuel systems that have aluminum, zinc and brass present. So electrolysis is part of it too, I reckon.

And yes there are other things that show up as well, such as corroded white metal castings and parts seized together. It totally sucks.

I use 2-cycle oil to help but I don't know if it does. And also, obviously, not ever letting any ethanol-laced gas sit in the machine for very long. Since that is my first line of defense I don't know what if any effect the 2 cycle oil has.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:33:01 PM
Registered-I

after I'm done useing my equipment, I run the fuel out,then i add coleman fuel mixed with two cycle oil to flush the fuel system of all ethanol cutties. been doing this for several years,with no problems. kohler on the welder, log spliter ,chain saws, weedeater, generators, lawnmowers,works good. bettter than having to work on what you work with.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:58:33 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,208 Times in 1,890 Posts

sdowney, I had that happen in gasoline containers that had been emptied - well there may have been a teaspoon of fuel left.
A while back, a knowledgeable member suggested putting ATF in fuel system. Since doing that, I have not had any white rust, corrosion or fungus in any of my equipment, needle/ seats stay nice and clean. I just get all I can out before starting it up again.
See recent conversation in another thread below:

Default Re: Eastern Seaboard - get ready for the blockbuster snow this weekend

Quote: Originally Posted by scoops
I've heard of a few guys doing with this success, im cleaning my carb every year, how exactly and how much atf do you put in the carB?

do you mix it with gas? or drain gas then add atf? I'd love to know as yet again this year I opened the carb to rust and crud.

Scoops,
I have been doing the ATF treatment for several years. My method is to warm the engine up enough to get the oil good and hot, empty the gas tank and dump in about a 1/2 quart of ATF in the tank. Crank it up and run it until you can tell it is running out of gas, then I start choking it so it will burn as much gas/ATF mixture as it can. The engines will usually run on full choke for a while, until the viscosity of the mixture will not pull through the jets. If the engine has a small gas tank, I will blow compressed air into the tank to splatter the oil around to help give the tank a little coating. When I put them back into service, I fill up the tank and then drain the carb, if has a drain. If it has no drain, I usually dump a little gas in the carb.

David C.

Originally Posted by Power View Post

Well, drained few drops of ATF out of snow blower carb, filled tank with ethanol gas (only thing we can get) and it started right up. We got over 2 feet. I did one pass around 11am, second around 5pm. Looks like snowfall is almost finished
Old 01-26-2016, 06:49:34 PM
Banner Sponsor

I have went to airplane gas in all of my stuff that does not use much fuel all my 2 cycle equipment, standby gen. and my 4 wheeler that uses 2 tanks a year ect it easier than fighting with bad gas and the cost is not that much more...
Old 01-26-2016, 09:06:54 PM
Registered-II

With diesel fuel algea growth is well known, my friend in Gloucestershire (UK) had it bad in his tractor for weeks. In the end a flush through and a big dose of bio-cide fixed it.

Interesting article here...

https://www.liftchair.com/limoss-md1...80.htm#details

It is not just fuel tanks that can suffer as the by-products of algae are corrosion accelerators.

http://www.nist.gov/mml/acmd/201108_..._pipelines.cfm
Lots of products out there, but has anyone used any of these?

Mike
Old 01-27-2016, 07:49:32 AM
Registered-III

Well, flushing the tank after letting bleach sit for 3 hours, a lot of small black chunks came out. Since the tank outlet is on top of the engine blower housing, I used a piece of cardboard to divert the flow away from just dumping all over the motor.

I removed the rubber grommet in the tank outlet for better flow out otherwise it sticks up higher than the tank bottom and will keep some stuff still in the tank, I think.
Then I used my leaf blower and forced air into the tank and blew out a little more water.
I then poured 3 gallons of gasoline in and let that drain, sort of hoping to flush more water out, and let it sit for a few hours. The gas is not wasted, you lose the ethanol mixing with the water. I had the cardboard end draining into a large bucket.

Today it is raining, so any more efforts will have to wait.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:23:55 AM
Registered-III

It's easy to remove alcohol from gasoline, just mix some water in with the gasoline and the alcohol transfers out of the gas and into the water, leave the water to settle to the bottom of the gas then drain it off, bingo, no more alcohol in your gas
The gasoline will now have a lower knock rating but in a mower that is unlikely to be a problem.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:18:14 PM
Registered-III

It is back together and functioning well. I verified the needle valve does work.
The design on this briggs carb does not suck fuel from the very bottom of the bowl. I dont know if that is an advantage, the bowl has a screw drain. I know 6 months ago I drained it, still it rusted and the needle valve corroded, likely all due to E10 gasoline. I plan to put a 1/4 inch fuel filter in line.

The rubber grommet in the fuel tank that holds valve to tank is starting to crack. It was extremely hard to put back in. Anyone know of a good source?