Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Asphalt Paint

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 3848 times

Old 05-01-2016, 10:25:59 PM
Subscriber

Default Asphalt Paint

Has anyone ever heard of this product? Asphalt Paint by Utility Manufacturing Company.

I happened across it some 20 years ago in an old-fashioned hardware store. I bought it on a whim and just today opened her up to use on a project, which was a heavily rusted piece of metal.

I was blown away by this paint. Ultra-heavy solids with mineral spirits as the solvent. It dries super glossy with no brush marks. I'm not yet sure if it cures rock-hard or if the finish remains slightly soft. I guess I'll know tomorrow.

Product was so kick-ass I looked up the company as I'd like to buy more. The company is still in business but they no longer list this paint.

Too bad; this seems like the poor man's POR15.

Any of you ever come across this product?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2990.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	252793

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2991.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	252794
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2016, 10:50:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,151 Times in 2,051 Posts
Default Re: Asphalt Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amax View Post

Too bad; this seems like the poor man's POR15.
But only if you could buy it at 20 years ago prices

I tried a POR product this weekend called Black Velvet, its high heat POR. When I first shook the can I was a bit disappointed as it sounded watery, but when I opened the can and went to dip the brush in it was a solid jelloee blob floating in solvent. Stirred it up as best I could, it was still as thick as grease, just blobbed it on with the brush and spread it out, it dried nicely with the majority of the streakiness from it being so thick fading away into a nice flat finish.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:57:09 PM
Subscriber

The Navy uses (or used to use) an asphalt paint to coat anchor chain. The stuff stayed kinda' soft and would not chip, self healing.

Joe B
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCB For This Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 11:41:13 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
But only if you could buy it at 20 years ago prices

I tried a POR product this weekend called Black Velvet, its high heat POR. When I first shook the can I was a bit disappointed as it sounded watery, but when I opened the can and went to dip the brush in it was a solid jelloee blob floating in solvent. Stirred it up as best I could, it was still as thick as grease, just blobbed it on with the brush and spread it out, it dried nicely with the majority of the streakiness from it being so thick fading away into a nice flat finish.
I was going to buy POR for the project I mentioned up above. A quart of POR is ridiculously expensive. That's when I remembered I had this and figured I'd give it a try. Even adjusted for inflation, this crazy goop is a lot less expensive than POR.

What is the purpose of POR Black Velvet? To fill pinholes? Sounds interesting (and $$$$$$).
Old 05-02-2016, 06:19:28 PM
Subscriber

The POR Black Velvet is high heat POR (1200 F), I wanted something good to coat my high dollar (and rusty) hospital grade muffler with, and I needed to coat some severely rusted steel, used half of 1 pint for both. According to directions it takes 300F to get it fully set, so it might not have been the right choice for the rusty steel

Did your asphalt paint harden?
Old 05-02-2016, 08:20:15 PM
Subscriber

I have used the utility. Asphalt paint on well tanks, oil tanks and lead pans over the ears and was happy with the thickness of it
Old 05-02-2016, 08:27:56 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
The POR Black Velvet is high heat POR (1200 F), I wanted something good to coat my high dollar (and rusty) hospital grade muffler with, and I needed to coat some severely rusted steel, used half of 1 pint for both. According to directions it takes 300F to get it fully set, so it might not have been the right choice for the rusty steel

Did your asphalt paint harden?
Yes, it hardened pretty well. If you push a fingernail into it, you can deflect the paint a bit, but it does not feel wet or sticky. I think in another day it will cure some more.

POR products are really good. I have never used Black Velvet but I have used many of their other offerings. They are terrific but I can't afford them for anything other than a special project (sounds like that's what you did with your muffler).
Old 05-02-2016, 08:28:00 PM
Subscriber

What is POR? And...WHAT is a hospital grade muffler?
Old 05-02-2016, 08:32:31 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
I have used the utility. Asphalt paint on well tanks, oil tanks and lead pans over the ears and was happy with the thickness of it
Where do you buy it?

I called the company today and they said they stopped making it years ago.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:07:26 PM
Subscriber

Well it's been 15 years since I used it. I would get gallons of it from our local plumbing supply house. I will ask them tomorrow
Old 05-02-2016, 11:37:33 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezerbill View Post
What is POR? And...WHAT is a hospital grade muffler?
Google "POR 15" its great stuff, but very pricey. It is a very thick paint used to keep stuff from rusting, and when applied correctly just about impossible to get off without a torch or a grinder.

From mfrs website "POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating is a high performance coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces and will stop rust permanently. POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating is non-porous and seals and protects many surfaces from water, chemicals, salt, and other corrosive contaminants and is able to be painted over rust. POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating is an effective anti-corrosive and rust preventive coating that offers superior chemical resistance due to its dense, cross-linked molecular composition and non-porous attributes.

The secret lies in POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating's curing process. Most paints dry through evaporation, but POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating dries faster when moisture is present. It has the opposite chemistry of ordinary paints. Now add to that POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating incredible hardness, toughness, and flexibility and you have a coating that is practically indestructible. POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating is a permanent rust repair great for auto frame and chassis restoration, protecting valuable equipment against rust and corrosion. You'll be amazed at the toughness!"

Hospital grade muffler = quiet muffler, don't want to wake the patients ya know
Old 09-07-2016, 12:15:06 AM
Registered

years ago that is what auto chassis was painted with. it was meant to remain soft rather than brittle hard to resist chipping from stones kicked up.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:37:27 AM
Registered-III

Asphaltic paints were also heavily used to coat battery racks and equipment in electrical installations. It provides a good, simple acid resistant finish. It's mentioned in most of my old telephone repair books from the early 1900's and as a coating for auto parts in my 1919 Dyke's Automobile Repair Manual.

I really wish you could still buy the stuff instead of the newer........and expensive........"space age" coatings.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:37:32 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,733 Times in 4,278 Posts
Question Re: Asphalt Paint

I wonder if it is what was called Coal Tar paint, years ago?
Old 04-11-2018, 10:46:09 AM
Registered

Looks a lot like the paint often used by radiator repair shops a few years back.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:32:23 AM
Subscriber

When you use POR-15 paint be sure cover your work area, and to wear gloves! If it splashes on anything including you, it cannot be removed easily. About have to wear it off. Very good paint though.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:36:27 AM
Subscriber

"Chassis Saver" is a competitor to "POR-15" and much less expensive to use. Like POR-15 it needs topcoated or it will get chalky with exposure to UV rays from the sun.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:27:26 PM
Subscriber

Andrew ,

Coal Tar paint wonder if your thinking of coal tar epoxy we used it on steel barge hulls
Old 04-28-2018, 11:49:14 PM
eMail NOT Working

Yep- Coal Tar Epoxy... yeah, you can still buy it. I helped Doug put some on the hull of SV Seeker. Stinky, but man, it works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBOAkpujGBM

and the cut-sheet for the product he's using:
http://www.svseeker.com/wp/wp-conten...-Tar-Epoxy.pdf

Watch the videos- you'll see some neat stuff goin' on there... and a few of me, and probably a few other mysterious Stakkers too!