Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Paint Chipping

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1869 times

Old 09-28-2016, 07:20:46 PM
Registered-I

Default Paint Chipping

I have prepped 2 motors
removed rust and ospho coated the cast iron, etc
then used self etching primer
then top coated with rustoleam enamel paint
and when I can baked it in an oven for a short time
as I heard this was the best way to get a durable harder finish
I have had multiple chipping with doing this
I realize I am not going to stop all accidents etc .
but seems I haven't got a harder finish

did I miss a step or what am I doing wrong ???
thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2016, 05:39:46 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,168 Posts
Default Re: paint chipping

Hello
I've sometimes found that the harder the paint the easier it is to chip. Sometimes it seems to be brittle and chips quite easy, especially on the squarer 'edges' of castings like hopper corners. A little tap and a big chuck of paint is off.

Cheers Scott
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 09:57:33 AM
Registered

Default Re: Paint Chipping

A couple of things to be aware of. First, Rustoleum Protective Enamel sold in hardware stores is a linseed oil based paint product. That's not a bad thing but you have to understand its limitations. Linseed oil is commonly used in many paints because the flax oil polymerizes into a nice robust paint film. The technology has been around for nearly two thousand years. Linseed oil based paints are softer and more flexible than an alkyd, epoxy or urethane type of paint. When you "baked" your paint in the oven, you took away the paint's natural performance properties by making it brittle. Adding heat will never make a Rustoleum-like paint harder. You can add some heat to speed dry time but never exceed 100F for more than an hour or two. Oil based paints will get harder over time as the flax oil polymerizes. Rustoleum has an Industrial line of products and I would suggest using those coatings if you want a harder finish. Any brand of alkyd, epoxy or urethane will give you a harder, more durable finish. Cast iron is a very difficult surface to successfully paint with longterm performance. I would recommend using an epoxy primer on squeeky-clean cast iron. Lastly, when using an etch primer, I would recommend coating the etch primer with a sandable primer prior to applying your topcoat. The finish quality will be much nicer.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaintChemist For This Post: