Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Torsion flex axles or springs?

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 37124 times

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 01:17:35 PM
Jeff Smith

Default Torsion flex axles or springs?

Hello,

I have been studying trailers for quite some time and have owned quite a few. My camper has torsion flex axles and my utility trailer has springs. I understand that I am not comparing apples to apples, but there is a world of difference in towing between the two. The camper is a small pop up and the utility trailer is about the same size so there are some similarities. When I tow the camper I really donít know that it is back there until I hit a major hole in the road and then it feels like the wheel wants to stay there and then comes out. The utility trailer on the other hand just goes in and out even with load.

My point is that I have looked at a lot of trailers recently and I am considering having one built from a very nice man at a near by trailer manufacturing facility. He is willing to build whatever I ask for and his price is very close to mass produced trailers where you get what you see. Where my hang up is, I donít know if I want springs or torsion flex axles on an engine trailer. I like the independent movement on my camper, but I question the life span of the rubber inside. I can change springs if they wear out, and I could swap out the axels if the rubber wore out, but I would just like some feedback on the pros and cons of both.

Thank you,

Jeff Smith
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2004, 01:53:14 PM
Chris

Default Re: Torsion flex axles or springs?

I have owned both and I prefer torsion axles. They ride smoother and quieter than springs and generally the trailers sit lower to the ground which is nice when useing ramps. Torsion axles also last longer than spring systems because thare are almost no moving parts. Now the down side. Torsions cost more and are not as servicable when they do fail- usually a failer results in replacing the axle. They also are not as forgiving to abuse as springs. For long hauls to shows I would never trade my torsion axles but for old iron retrieval from back fields or miles down unmaintained roads a heavy spring setup would probably do better on rough terrain with that major overload that we have all done from time to time.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:59:41 PM
Bob Fultz

Default Torsion flex axles or Springs

Ive built a couple of utility trailers and I found that the longer the spring and a larger diameter rim was best. Never did one with torsion bars. The last one had leaf springs with small coils that sat between the axle and frame. (Hauled a 7 HP Economy on it)Was going to build another and I like the looks of an rear axle from a Chrysler mini van. It's like a drop axle and should bring the center of gravity down. P.S. Have you got your home back to shape after the hurricane?
Old 10-14-2004, 08:51:06 PM
Jeff Smith

Default Re: Torsion flex axles or Springs

I don't have time to build anything but the long spring theory is an interesting idea. I would have to go with what they offer.

The house and office are another subject. To answer your question, no. It is going to be a while. I have been working daily to try and get both places cleaned up. Today I stood the stop sign back up next to my house since the city is busy. I also tried to finish taking down the boards off of my windows.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:51:44 PM
Lou Quirch

Torsion axels ride smoother and don't rust like the springs do. I have them on our four place horse trailer and our single axel boat trailer with a 17' Mako. Our R/V pack/cargo trailer has springs and it bounces stuff around, even bounced a big lead sinker I had in the cup holder of our golf cart, I wish I had torsion axels on it also. They are made in a bunch of capacities. Lou
Old 10-14-2004, 10:03:01 PM
Dave Showerman

Jeff, This response is "for the record only". A friend of mine borrowed a Wells Cargo enclosed trailer to take a "load" of engines to a swap meet. I didn't see the starting load, but I did see the trailer mounted on a New flatbed trailer purchased for the return trip home. As I said, I didn't see the starting load, But I did see the rust and the broken axle from the Wells Cargo. This particular unit did use the Torsion Flex axles. So---No matter what you choose, It appears the underbody parts could benefit from an accasional coat of paint. Dave in Holt.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:17:15 AM
32volt

Over 50,000 miles on torsion axles will never go back to springs! Steve
Old 10-15-2004, 05:04:56 AM
listerdiesel

We have used rubber torsion beams exclusively for 15-20 years or so, and never had a problem. Just making up small 2-axle trailer that can go inside our new van (that's a small van by USA standards) and the weight saving alone makes it worthwhile.

Indespension in the UK are the major suppliers of trailer kit, have a look at their site (url below) to see what they make and sell.

Our existing trailer has covered 20,000 miles or so, been down to Spain and Portugal three times and come back loaded with engines of some kind on all three trips, never had a problem with suspension or running gear.

Leaf springs rattle, go rusty, need maintenance, why use them?

The construction of our trailer is detailed on our website:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Trailer/Trailer1.htm

Watch the line wrap on that url...

Peter
Old 10-15-2004, 09:42:25 AM
Kent Redd

I like the Mopar van/ K-car rear axle. I use only the stub axle and its mounting plate. For the rest of the axle I use three inch I-beam. I can make them any width I want. I cut the ends of the I-beam so I have about a 2 degree camber and set a little toe-in when I weld the plates on the end of the I-beam.

Kent
Old 10-15-2004, 10:54:17 AM
Jeff Smith

At least once a month if not more I see a boat trailer with a broken axle stranded along the road for the same reason. They want to play boats, but not painter and the salt water just eats that stuff up. Even the galv. stuff has problems here in the salt water. It rusts from the inside out and then..............

I went through the boat stuff and will stick with engines. I had toooooo many hobbies and now I would rather just have one. I would consider a steam boat though..........

Jeff
Old 10-15-2004, 07:58:39 PM
Dave Reichert

I run with a lot of other people who haul carousel organs all over the country. Everyboby agrees, the torsion rides better and is more trouble free overall than the leaf springs. That is for highway use. If off road then maybe the springs take more abuse and are easier to repair yourself. Depends ou what you are doing.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:52:10 PM
Joe Steele

Here on the ranch I like the torsion axels the best. We haul cattle and horses feed and all sorts of things over rugh country. Sure got tired of changing broken springs. Wore out shackles and eqlizers. Have had no trouble with torsion axels. I dont think I will buy another trailer with springs. Just my $.2 worth.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:03:18 PM
Jeff Smith

Thank you all for the info. I greatly appreciate it.

Jeff Smith
Closed Thread