Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

1920 Allis Chalmers 6-12

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 1582 times

Old 03-17-2019, 06:16:06 PM
Subscriber

Default 1920 Allis Chalmers 6-12

Are you ready for another story?

This might turn into a long one as well, so go get a snack first, I'll wait.

It seems as though the tractors find me anymore, and I don't even hardly have to go search for them. Which is nice, don't get me wrong. The lack of tractor collecting funds is the only thing slowing me down. But I digress.....

Back in the spring of 2018 a fellow AC collector contacted me asking if I was interested in buying his 6-12. Of course I was interested, but scraping up the $ for that kind of purchase was a bit out of the question I thought initially. We talked, and agreed on a price, and I proceeded to scrape together any spare funds I could to make this happen. I even sold a couple of things from my collection, and have offered several more for sale.

It is not every day one gets the opportunity to buy an Allis 6-12. I have always wanted one. But it is said that there are only Thirty-some of these left in the world. I would love to own one of all the green AC's someday actually. So I knew I wanted to make this happen.

So a bit of the back story. This tractor came from Texas, which is where many of the 6-12's ended up being sold originally for whatever reason. I have heard they had a good dealer network down in that part of the country at that time for these. I don't know all the back story, but from what I understand it came from an estate auction in the fall of 2003. The guy that got it at the auction started to restore it, but never got very far. Then in January of 2018 it was listed for sale and was bought by the collector I bought it from. He planed to restore it for his personal collection, but when something else came up for sale that he wanted even more, he offered it to me.

So jump ahead to August 2018. Mom, Dad and I loaded up in the truck and trailer to go to a family reunion that just happened to be near were the 6-12 was. Perfect, I scheduled it for us to pick it up after the reunion. And I picked up a Sioux valve grinding machine and cabinet at the family reunion as well, it was a good trip!

Got the tractor home, and unloaded just in time for me to turn around and go on my 18-30 Allis adventure the next day. Check out my other thread for info on that:
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185506

The fall of 2018 Dad and I got my 6-12 moved into the new barn. This is not going to be a right away project. I need to finish my '27 20-35 this summer first. Then it will be either one of my lonfender 20-35's or this 6-12. I can tell Dad kinda wants to tackle the 6-12, but we will see.

I actually have some of the side projects in the works for things needed for the 6-12. As you will see in the pictures, this tractor came literally as a basket case, with all of the front half of the tractor disassembled and in crates. From looking through it all though, the only thing I appear to be missing is the steering box assembly. I had a nice long chat with Norm Meinert this weekend, and even though he is now retired, he sounded like he would be willing to use the steering box from his 6-12 as patterns to get parts cast and fabricate me a completely new box for mine! So that was great news!

I have also been in contact with a guy about getting new Bennett air cleaners made. I have the original air cleaner, but as you will see from the pics, mine is like swiss cheese and will need to either have parts replaced, or make a completely new one.

I also have a few questions for those who know the 6-12's. First, the serial number is stamped on a brass tag on the side of these tractors, which mine is. But it is also supposed to be stamped on the top of the tractor near where it pivots in the center. In that spot instead of the serial number, mine has T T stamped there. A T shaped stamp with a little cross on the bottom of the T as well, a space where a number or something could have been but there is nothing, then another T. There is a pic of this in the 6-12 album on my Google Photos. Has anyone seen this before?? Best guess so far is that this may have been a replacement casting at some point? But the few people I have asked about this have never seen it before.

Here is the link to my 6-12 Album:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BQ4LhSHCZG8Mvtuc7

If anyone has anything to add I'd love to hear it. I have much to learn about 6-12's, but I'm in no hurry with this project, so I have time to research the things I need to.

---------- Post added at 05:16:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11:08 PM ----------

Just in case the pics weren't enough for you, here are three videos. Hopefully the next time you see this roll down the road it will be under its own power.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2019, 09:10:55 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,659 Times in 1,146 Posts
Default Re: 1920 Allis Chalmers 6-12

I must say, Jacob. You do seem to find some interesting projects or they find you! Looks like a fun project.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:36:13 PM
Registered-II

that is totally killer, love it...
The Following User Says Thank You to ulgydog56 For This Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 11:49:29 PM
Sponsor

Hello Jacob,
Very exciting! Congratulations. I do not have very much information on the line of tractors. I did not restore my 6-12. But If I can be of help let me know. You certainly do not see very many.
I was lucky and had mine featured in Antique Power Mag.
Please keep us posted on your progress.
Matt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beEaQv88Xpk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matt Montague For This Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 09:18:30 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Montague View Post
Hello Jacob,
Very exciting! Congratulations. I do not have very much information on the line of tractors. I did not restore my 6-12. But If I can be of help let me know. You certainly do not see very many.
I was lucky and had mine featured in Antique Power Mag.
Please keep us posted on your progress.
Matt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beEaQv88Xpk
Thank you Matt! I will probably take you up on that offer eventually and pick your brain.
One question off the top of my head, I see on the registry you have no year or serial number listed. Is your serial number tag missing? Have you checked for the number stamped on the top of the tractor where it pivots?
Yours really is a sharp looking unit! Thank you for sharing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:51:45 PM
Sponsor

Jacob,
You are correct the serial number tag is missing. My Friend who restored the tractor removed the tag and placed it in his toolbox for safe keeping while he was restoring the tractor when it became time to install the tag he could not locate it. It bothered him forever.
Now today I learn from you that there is hope to possibly reveal this meaningful information. I did not know that there was a location on the tractor that the number was stamped.
I will indeed look and hopefully find it. At that point I will be indebted to you for your knowledge.
Please feel free to contact me, I will be happy to help however I can.
Matt
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Montague For This Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 09:49:49 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Montague View Post
Jacob,
You are correct the serial number tag is missing. My Friend who restored the tractor removed the tag and placed it in his toolbox for safe keeping while he was restoring the tractor when it became time to install the tag he could not locate it. It bothered him forever.
Now today I learn from you that there is hope to possibly reveal this meaningful information. I did not know that there was a location on the tractor that the number was stamped.
I will indeed look and hopefully find it. At that point I will be indebted to you for your knowledge.
Please feel free to contact me, I will be happy to help however I can.
Matt
Oh man Matt, that stinks! I'd be taking the drawers out of that tool box and shaking it upside down
I sure hope you at least find the serial number stamped on your tractor. From what I hear most are stamped, but not all. Mine is a good example of that. Here is what is stamped on the top of my tractor on the flat near where it pivots.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qiAnEsYeVTpGuSTs9
Like I explained in a previous post, it is two fancy "T"s with a space between them. No one I have talked to so far has heard of or seen this, or knows anything about why.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:21:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,280 Times in 912 Posts

Jacob, you certainly have a knack for finding old iron at this point! My wife's uncle helped restore one for the North Adams/Jerome collectors club here in Michigan. Rare old birds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brasherman For This Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 12:13:19 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasherman View Post
Jacob, you certainly have a knack for finding old iron at this point! My wife's uncle helped restore one for the North Adams/Jerome collectors club here in Michigan. Rare old birds.
Thanks, finding old iron sure is exciting! To me the hunt for new projects, and then the hunt to find parts and meeting up with people along the way is the fun of his hobby.

It is interesting, I was given some manuals and pictures that were printed off the internet for reference in the restoration I imagine, when I got this tractor. With them was the July 2006 issue of Farm Collector magazine. In that magazine is a very nice article on the restoration that the club you mention did on their 1919 6-12. So it is kinda a small world! Looks like they did a very nice job considering it sounds like it was in very tough shape when they found it. How is the tractor holding up after being restored over 13 years ago? Still going strong and being shown I hope?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 02:17:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,280 Times in 912 Posts

I have to admit I have not seen it lately. It used to show up to his little Hay Days show, but we haven't had one of them in years. I will have to go find it when I am back home next.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brasherman For This Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 12:45:34 AM
Subscriber

Jacob WI, You need to get with ( The Allis Cowboy ) David Harrington In Western Neb . ( that`s a town ) He`s the guy that took 2 of those 6-12`s and put them together to make the so called Dupex. He mite have some spare parts , At least he knows all about those tractors, and knows where parts are at. Good luck , Dave`s Ph. 402-433-4461. Roger Weinhold AKA Charlie 1925
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie1925 For This Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 09:16:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Roger,

I've met and been in contact with Dave. Not only has he been a wealth of knowledge on 6-12's, but with info for my longfender 20-35's as well. Very nice and helpful guy! And yes, the town he lives in being called Western did throw me for a loop for a bit, seeing that it is NOT in the western part of the state, LOL!
Hopefully he gets to attend the Orange Spectacular this year with one of his cool toys. I missed seeing him last year, he had other commitments and could not attend.
Speaking of which, are we going to see you and Big Charlie at Hutch this summer Roger?! I sure hope so
Old 03-26-2019, 10:38:41 PM
Subscriber

Jacob WI, Keep hoping and I well do the planning
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie1925 For This Post: