Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Setup for De-rusting (Electrolysis)

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 3564 times

Old 05-05-2005, 08:41:47 PM
Registered-III

Question Setup for De-rusting (Electrolysis)

A short while ago someone mentioned using a battery between the charger and the electrolysis tank. Should it be in series or parallel? I've never been successful yet I have all the ingredients. Dick in the Finger Lake Region of NY.

Last edited by Dick Hamilton; 05-05-2005 at 08:43:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2005, 09:20:50 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Setup for De-rusting (Electrolysis)

i'm fairly sure the battery was parr. maybe to act as some sort of voltage sink for the charger. not sure. i not using a battery, just straight off charger with no (knock on wood) ill results. used oxiclean in one vat and baking soda in another vat. both seem to work with equal results. washing soda cannot be had in my community.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:38:48 PM
Registered-III

Yes some chargers wont put out any amps if they don't detect a battery.

So if your charger won't start bubbling the solution just hook up your charger to a battery and then hook up both to the electrolysis tank and electrode.

Dick
Old 05-05-2005, 11:42:16 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,373 Times in 929 Posts

Im doing a pump jack right now with a battery wired in as a boost( plus my charger is a newer one that wont work unless it has some juice to turn it on) to the charger you hook up pos. to pos. I think if you did it any other way you would confuse the mix?? Make sure pos. goes to anodes and neg. to part to be cleaned!! Dick what are you using for anodes? Washing soda seems to work the best. Tells us how your doing it and maybe we can figure out why its not working for you. BobRR
Old 05-06-2005, 10:34:52 AM
Registered-II

Dick,

I've had great luck with just the charger. Next time I'm at my in-laws, I'll look you up and check you set up.

John Updyke
Old 05-06-2005, 07:45:58 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Setup for De-rusting (Electrolysis)

Thanks to all that responded. I have some washing soda that my son Doug brought up from Mexico. My wife has used Oxyclean so I may end up using that. With the charger alone we were unable to get it rolling. I then hook up my generator using the 12 volt plug and that really started it boiling. I'll let you know how things work out. This time I will use some old hay track that I cut into 3 ft. lengths. Dick in the nice Finger Lake Region of NY.

Last edited by Dick Hamilton; 05-06-2005 at 07:47:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-08-2005, 02:05:55 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,373 Times in 929 Posts

Dick right there was your problem mexican washing soda is made to be used with tequila! While were on this subject Ive been cooking my pump jack for 3 days other then cleaning the anodes everyday seems to be working.(pulling 12Amps) Do you need to add more washing soda to the mix every so often? I think this is going to have to cook for a week or so to get everything freed up(nothing moving yet)?BobRR
Old 05-08-2005, 02:59:42 AM
Franz

Bob, you just add water to bring the level of the solution back up to make up for the water that's lost thru electrolosys.

Dick's problem is caused by his location. Hillopotomous flew over the lake, on her broom, and all the water has an oilslick now. He'll need to import real water.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:50:37 PM
Registered-III

Talking Re: Setup for De-rusting (Electrolysis)

That's not nice Franz. I drink this lake water everyday and look how tall I got. Come on up to grape country in the Finger Lake Region of NY. Dick