Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Flywheel weight ring

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2935 times

Old 06-27-2005, 06:20:07 AM
Registered-III

Default Flywheel weight ring

Looking for info on flywheel weights. I want to smooth out the engine on my halfbreed tractor. Will the weights help, where would I look for them, would they be helpfull enough to offset what they might cost?? Mine are 54" diameter with 4 bolt holes. Thanks Jim Hunter
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2005, 08:54:57 PM

Thanked 20,736 Times in 6,001 Posts
Default Re: Flywheel weight ring

Is this a one cylinder engine?
It's doubtful you will get much, if any, improvement in the dynamic balance but you can sure try.
Where, in relation to the throw, are the flywheel holes?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:41:23 AM
Registered-III

Yes It is a one cylinder halfbreed oilfield engine. I has the additional weight of the cross slide flying back and forth also!! The bolt holes are evenly spaced around the flywheel,one near each spoke. My South Penn has the flywheel a bit thicker on the opposite side from the crank throw and I assume that will help(haven't got it running yet) and it has 2 flywheels. The halfbreed has only one flywheel and a clutch on other side. Thank you much for your interest in my quest for a bit smoother engine! Jim Hunter
Old 06-30-2005, 11:56:56 PM

Thanked 20,736 Times in 6,001 Posts

Well Jim, I was going to answer your email privately but I might as well take a PUBLIC shot here:
I asked and you told me this engine is running like a conventional 2 cycle engine and firing from the bottom end only.
That answered my question....
Which means checking the counterweighting on any single cylinder engine will give you a starting point.
Here: http://www.valleymetal.org/Lathe%20S...y%20Engine.jpg is a PERFECT example of a flywheel counterweighted exactly opposite the throw....and that is why I asked if the engine is firing from one end only as the dynamics would change drastically if it was getting TWO opposite impulses.
I would START with HALF or less (hmmm...maybe less) the total reciprocating weight as you have only ONE flywheel. An example of how this works was told to me by an old garage owner YEARS ago: 1 ounce of balance weight on a car tire rim multiplies to 60 LBS at 60mph. I had no reason to doubt him then and still don't.
You can always bolt on more till you get an acceptable running balance and then make a NICE permanent weight.
Craig
Old 07-03-2005, 02:03:29 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,721 Times in 4,269 Posts
Exclamation Re: Flywheel weight ring

Go to a local salvage yard, and buy some sheet lead. cut into 1" thick by 10" long sections. Take 1 and form it around the rim opposite the flywheel, with the open end facing the rim. Move this weight to various areas and see if the balance improves. When it seems best, add a second, next to it to see if more weight helps. When you find the right amount of weight, weigh the total weight of the strips, and you will know how much weight you need to either remove, or add to balance the engine! I did this on a Hercules 5 HP - it needed over 2 ounces of additional weight removed from the flywheels!
Andrew
Old 07-03-2005, 08:05:14 PM
Registered-III

I cannot begin to tell you two, Craig and Andrew, how much I appreciate your responding to my request!! I now believe I understand what is going on and what I can try in order to try to smooth out operations!! I was thinking that I just needed basically what amounted to another complete flywheel when maybe I'll get away with just adding a few ounces or so to the one side of existing wheel to do the job! Thanks again! Jim Hunter