Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Interchange from Dana 60 to Dana 70 rear end.

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 15437 times

Old 08-31-2005, 02:51:35 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,886 Times in 2,965 Posts
Default Off Topic - Inerchange from Dana 60 to Dana 70 rear end.

Guys:

I've been surfing all over the place and still cannot find a site that has outline drawings with dimensions for the Dana 70 light truck (pickup, 1-ton) axle.

My motorhome has a Dana 60 in it and I think it's a bit weak for the 12,000 lb vehicle. Besides, I want to convert it from LT-16.5 singles to LT-16 duals and am afraid the 60 housing won't like the outboard load.

Does anyone have the dimensions of a Dana 70 rear axle set up for dual 16's, showing the spring hangers, wheels and tires so I can figger whether or not the tires will rub the spring. Also, I need the axle tube diameter so I can see if I can swap the shock mounts, etc.

I also need to know if the lug pattern is 8 X 6.5, and the lug diameter is 5/8" so I don't have to carry two spares.

Definition for the word "motorhome": Any vehicle which resembles a large hole in the road into which one throws large amounts of money.

Thanks and take care - Elden
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2005, 10:04:43 AM
Jason Denney

Default Re: Interchange from Dana 60 to Dana 70 rear end.

Spring perch, axle width, gear ratio and shock locations will vary quite a lot, depending on application. Look for Dana 70s under '73 to '94 1-ton+ trucks; they were used mostly under commercial trucks and motorhomes until the late-70s when they started being used in dually trucks also. Dual wheel 70s are much more common than single wheel, so that's a plus. Keep an eye out on the 70s, though – there are two types: the 70HD (Heavy Duty) and the 70U (Undersized bearings, i.e., weaker axle).

The bolt pattern, to the best of my knowledge, is the same. However, the hub size will vary, depending on whether or not it is a full-floating axle or not.

To be perfectly honest with you, it sounds like a lot of unwanted trouble to do this axle swap, especially if you haven't had any problems with your 60. But I can see the advantage of having dual wheels. If it were me, I'd try to find another 60 with a dual wheel setup and convert your housing. That is, unless you just happen to get lucky enough to find a 70 out of another motorhome that will bolt right in. Another option, although not any stronger (or weaker) than the 60 is a Corporate 14-bolt. Dual wheel 14-bolts are a dime a dozen and parts are readily available anywhere.

If you want more info on ANY axle, especially domestics like the Danas and Corporates, go to www.pirate4x4.com and search their forums. A word of warning, though: DO NOT ask any questions without first searching for the answer; some of those guys will eat you alive!

Hope this has helped you at least a little bit!

Jason Denney
Assistant Editor
Gas Engine Magazine / Steam Traction
Farm Collector / Farm Collector Show Directory
jdenney@ogdenpubs.com
(800) 682-4704
(785) 274-4380
Fax: (785) 274-4316
Old 09-02-2005, 09:45:03 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,439 Times in 682 Posts

When I was working on my 1982 1 ton Chev I found out that there are 2 different width dual wheel differentials used on these. My truck was a Cab-n-Chassis when new and the spacing between the wheels is less than a dually with a pickup bed. If I try to put a pickup bed on my truck the tires will hit the fenderwells. The inner wheels almost touch the springs. Hope I didn't confuse the situation. Probably need to grab a tape measure and head down to the slavage yard.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:56:40 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,886 Times in 2,965 Posts

Thanks, guys for the information!

I guess I can now justify a day or two of "junkyarding".........OH BOY!!

Lemmesee now.....I've got the bug spray, rags, heavy shoes, tape measure, tools, old blanket to drape over the wife's car seat .

Oh, yes, I've got my heavy duty skin for dealing with the junkyard folks.

I also think that, just for giggles, I'll call the local Dana dealer and see how much a new axle will set me back........WHAT FUN!

Now, to offset my cost a little and eliminate clutter, does anybody need the takeout axle and wheels? Dana 60, 4.10, 6 x 6.5" circle 5/8" studs. Almost new brakes. 3 LT 225 16" wheels and two tires?

Take care - Elden