Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Bath Universal Grinder

this thread has 0 replies and has been viewed 2808 times

Old 11-08-2005, 02:44:26 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,078 Times in 495 Posts
Default Bath Universal Grinder

This machine is a Bath, universal grinder, made in Fitchburg Mass around 1900ish. An interesting old machine, capable of cutter tool grinding, surface and internal grinding. The round base allows the table too pivot around 90 degree for tool grinding.

I think, there is enough operational for surface grinding work. The spindle and table feed each had a independent overhead drive belt. Must be some trick to swivel the table around and still drive the table feed pulley. The power feed had been converted to run with an electric motor and obviuosly the last user kept the table fixed. Its heavier than it looks and space is going to be a problem. I hope to get this setup and preserve the old machine while getting some useful work done. Maybe get some cheep ENCO tooling for holding endmills for grinding? I have an old Bath catalog and it shows a great variety of tooling and options. These were later sold with electric motor drives.

I would appreciate leads on other Bath grinders that might be available with more tooling, or better yet just the Bath tooling.

I need more space!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Best_small.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	4897  
Sponsored Links