Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Truck Bed Liners

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 7045 times

Old 12-02-2005, 07:03:40 PM
Registered-III

Default OT: Truck Bed Liners

I just got a new pickup and would appreciate opinions on molded liners vs. Spray-In (Rhino, Line-X, etc)

Thanks Harry
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2005, 07:35:10 PM
Mike F

Default Re: OT: Truck Bed Liners

neale
i love the spray in liners , if you have it done by the pro's ,,, the do-it-yourself kits just dont hold up.

i've had mine for many years and love it

1-- nothing slides in the truck bed.

2-- its not as slick as those plastic liners ((( if you ever steped in the back of the truck with a little snow on it you know what i mean)))
3-- now they can match your truck color

but make sure, when its installed that they dont clogg your drain holes

mike
Old 12-02-2005, 08:36:23 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: OT: Truck Bed Liners

We have a Rhino dealer here just outside of town. Matter of fact he grew up with some of kids and lived right across the street. I had him do my Mexican son's truck this spring.(he paid for it.) It is great and as was said just before it provides a box that nothing will slip around in. He did tell me that he doesn't recommend the colors because they fade. My sons truck has it sprayed over the side. I don't know about you folks, but I'm alway throwing something over the side and scratching it up. I'm thinking strongly of having my 2001 Chevy done. I'm not planning on trading very soon. Dick in the getting colder Finger Lake Region of NYS.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:57:44 PM
Registered-III

A friend of mine got a new wrecker last year had the back tow body part of the bed Rhino'd...Must be about 3/8" thick really nice job around all the Control levers ...Adds a nice customized look to the back of the wrecker.. No slip either toolbox and other stuff don't slide around...Basiclly a flat bed platform..Pretty sure it was around $300....bedliner might be cheaper but have you ever climbed in one with out kneepads that had a cap..Just a Suggestion...Byron Ouch..
Old 12-02-2005, 09:00:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,356 Posts

With Rhino liners engine won't slide easily -- get some hard wood of metal rollers. Everything slides easily on the molded liners -- invest in some cam lock or ratching tie downs.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:11:02 PM
Registered-III

hey Neale
I work at a dealerships for GM , we have found out that the spray in liners is the only way to go, like someone said in early thread, putting it over the edges & tailgate, is a good thing to do, we have a run around truck that has this liner in it we thrown old heads, flywheels, blocks & have never hurt it yet,spray's the way.

Bdmelon
Old 12-02-2005, 10:51:32 PM
Sky

Default Re: Truck Bed Liners

boy o boy, that sure aint what it's like in my dads truck, the stuff is flaking and peeling and bubblling and litterly looks 50 or so years old but it was only done about 2 years ago by Rhino...according to the book they give, they didn't give the bed the final coat of suppose to be ultra violet ray protection or something like that,...it looks terible, nothing like they advertised. been seriously thinking to bring the truck back to them to get the bed redone but conveineintly, there not open on weekends.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:25:26 PM
Subscriber

The local Line-X guy gave me 3 liners ( he was practicing) for my paint store pickups 5 years ago. They have held up well and I would recommend them. I would not let him do the truck I take to engine shows because I wanted to be able to slide heavy things (like a skidded 3 hp Hercules). I appreciate the ease of handling with the plastic liner, and try to tie engines down well and pack things around them when I travel.

Dick
Old 12-03-2005, 12:39:18 AM
Registered-III

I have a 2001 Ford shortbed with a Line-X linner that I had done thru the dealer when it was delivered the Line-X man said that if it ever was damaged to just bring it back and they would repair it free for as long as I had the truck.

In 4 years I have thrown every thing in the back and hauled a lot of Old Iron.

There are a few scratches on the tail gate from closing it against non-moving objects and shifting load. They show the original white paint. I think I'll just spray a little flat black directly on the small spots rather than making them re spray them now.

I am very happy with the look and performance of their product.

I have talked to several people who have used the slip in bed linners who said that when they removed them they found the bed badly rusted from water that got under the linners and has no way of escaping and takes a long time to dry up.

I'd certainly recommend the spray in linner and I don't think anyone could have done a better job than the Line-X people.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:38:56 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,729 Times in 850 Posts

Had the slip-in liner out of my '94 GMC, this summer, as I had to modify it to fit an Acess pickup cover. Though the box wasn't rusted, there were a ton of grass clippings and other dirt trapped underneath it.
Were I to order a new pickup, you betcher sweet bootie that I'd order it sprayed. Some even have the rocker panels sprayed too, for rock chip protectant.
As for sliding stuff in and out, sure the spray liners are sticky, but you could always find a sheet of something slippery to lay under your engine, or whatever, that you can slide it off of.
Spray liners gotta be the best, in my opinion.
~M~
Old 12-03-2005, 03:11:20 PM
Card Sponsor

I had a Line-X liner sprayed into my 1971 Ford 4x4 6 years ago and it is holding up very well. I think most of the comerical spray in liners hold up OK. I talked to a guy from Fargo,ND at the Rollag show last year that does this for a living and he said that if something goes wrong, it's usually a prep work fault.they are also lifetime guarenteed, and are repairable if you happen to crash your truck.The molded drop in liners are extremely dangerous in winter, as everything slides around in your truck including yourself.also you are not supposed to fill any jerry cans with gas when they are in the bed with the plastic drop in liners. Static electricty can build, and ignite the fumes, and the liner moves around and will eventually scuff and rub up the paint, which rusts after a while.Here the spray in liners cost $300.00 plus $100.00 extra for color tinting.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:23:00 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale Behm
I just got a new pickup and would appreciate opinions on molded liners vs. Spray-In (Rhino, Line-X, etc)

Thanks Harry
There is also a word of warning about filling gasoline cans while sitting on the bed liners due to the possibility of a static spark, due to no ground ,Every one says to always set the can on the ground while filling it Joe Morris
Old 05-14-2006, 10:33:19 PM
Registered-II

I have 1983 chev . 3/4 ton p/u I had a rino put in probley 15 yrs ago . I have hauled just about every thing you can think of in it . Used it to haul mowers push & riding . had gas & oil spilled on it no probles . The only place it has worn is on the back end from dragging the mower decks over the edge . Very satisfied with the rino liner ED COLE