Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

The Brits are at it Again...........

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1816 times

Old 01-17-2007, 09:30:58 PM
Jim Jake Templin

Default The Brits are at it Again...........

well, it was bound to happen sooner or later; we have all heard reports of the English building new narrow guage steam locomotives, and the effort to build a standard guage, three cylinder pacific (google the A1 trust), but now they have done it again, remembering they build some early Savage steam traction engines in the 70's.

According to the latest Old Glory, a company called Northern Steam is building small Wellington style steam tractors with a 6x9 single cylinder. They road test one in the issue, and, all things being equal, its pretty neat.

Its two speed, and has a 150lb all welded boiler. I think that is is more a road tractor than an ag machine, but is to be the basis of a range of engines that should inclue showman's engines and farm style machines.

I have often said that someone needs to tear into the little 8hp Nick at Pawnee and make a full size copy...the Brits are actually doing it.

Maybe if they start building more engines they will leave ours alone!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2007, 11:40:41 PM
survivingworldsteam

Default Re: The Brits are at it Again...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jim Jake Templin View Post
well, it was bound to happen sooner or later; we have all heard reports of the English building new narrow guage steam locomotives, and the effort to build a standard guage, three cylinder pacific (google the A1 trust), but now they have done it again, remembering they build some early Savage steam traction engines in the 70's.

According to the latest Old Glory, a company called Northern Steam is building small Wellington style steam tractors with a 6x9 single cylinder. They road test one in the issue, and, all things being equal, its pretty neat.

Its two speed, and has a 150lb all welded boiler. I think that is is more a road tractor than an ag machine, but is to be the basis of a range of engines that should inclue showman's engines and farm style machines.
I wonder if that is the same firm as the Great Northern Steam Co., Darlington, Co. Durham, UK. They are building a replica of a Foster traction engine; in pictures, it is red with a seal or logo on the square side tank; it once carried the name "DAWN". The latest picture shows the flywheel ornately painted.

This same firm has also built two steam locomotives for Laxey Mines Tramway, Laxey, Isle of Man, UK; and has two more under construction. All 1ft 7in in gauge.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project
Old 01-18-2007, 12:10:31 AM
Jim Jake Templin

Yep, that's them!
Old 01-18-2007, 01:44:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,062 Posts

http://www.oldglory.co.uk/ft1.htm

James,

Do you have any other links?

Thank you,

Jeff Smith

Last edited by Jeff Smith; 01-18-2007 at 02:01:21 AM. Reason: link
Old 01-18-2007, 06:06:34 PM
survivingworldsteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Smith View Post
http://www.oldglory.co.uk/ft1.htm

James,

Do you have any other links?

Thank you,

Jeff Smith
Jeff;

I take it you installed the Surviving World Steam Vehicle CD I sent you; if you did, open it up, press Ctrl-F, and in the search dialog box; enter "Great Northern Steam Co" for location. It will take you right to it; the picture in the database shows it during construction; I recieved recently a picture of it completed, and will include it in the May 2007 update to the database.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project
Old 01-19-2007, 01:25:30 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jim Jake Templin View Post

I have often said that someone needs to tear into the little 8hp Nick at Pawnee and make a full size copy...the Brits are actually doing it.

Maybe if they start building more engines they will leave ours alone!
With the price of historic steam in the UK these days, it's probably one heck of a lot cheaper to build one from scratch than to buy an old one. I believe that the 6" Burrell on Preston sold for over $105,000. The 6" Case sold for ~$33,500.

Lyle