Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Diesels in 45 states ONLY !

this thread has 44 replies and has been viewed 11611 times

Old 04-22-2007, 03:12:09 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Diesels in 45 states ONLY !

You mean they want us to use bio-diesel but the new engines won't use it
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2007, 03:54:42 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 3,177 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schwiebert View Post
My nephew had some new Ford truck literature last week. I see with this new fuel system the maximym bio diesel percentage is now down to 5%.Also I see the 5000 psi oil pump is gone too so who makes this fuel system?
The new 6.4L Powerstroke uses a piezoelectric injector made by Siemens. It's supposed to be more reliable than the previous units that plagued many 6.0L Powerstroke owners. The Duramax is also rated for B5 biodiesel. I think the Cummins is rated to use B20, but that may have changed with the new emissions package.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:48:07 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,699 Times in 883 Posts

I caught a car show flipping thru channels, and it presented a 66 Impala with a bio diesel engine it got 25 mpg all around average and beat a Lamborgini on the drag strip....
Old 04-29-2007, 09:29:20 AM
Registered-III

Peter buy it in Connecticut and let the dealer regerster it for you.
And go Diesel i was always gas until i bought my 1st one and now i will never go back
By the way i know a real good dealer.
JEFF
Old 05-14-2007, 11:44:06 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmallJeff View Post
Peter buy it in Connecticut and let the dealer regerster it for you.
And go Diesel i was always gas until i bought my 1st one and now i will never go back
By the way i know a real good dealer.
JEFF
Exactly what he said. Buy it out of state and drive it home. Drew
Old 05-18-2007, 04:58:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,062 Posts

Peter,

I can only tell you about the Liberty; I bought one for my wife in 2002. Unless you are a really small guy, the seats are made for kids and pets................ I am not a big dude, just an average size guy and in the 2.5 hour trip to Miami to visit family I have to stop at both service plazas on the turnpike and get out and walk around because the seats are so bad. I had a friend start to buy one and at the last minute he backed out and went to the Envoy, good move on his part because he is bigger than me. My wife is a little thing and she loves the vehicle and the seats, but I will stick to bigger vehicles with bigger seats. It is also the most erratic vehicle I have ever driven at highway speeds. Just a sneeze causing a minor swerve of the steering wheel and look out! I DO NOT like the vehicle and have offered to replace it for my wife almost every time I have driven it! I am glad that she never has it on the highway at higher speeds; I am the one that usually drives it on the highway when we are traveling. I used to have a Wrangler and I still think that was a safer vehicle to drive down the highway! I would be glad to answer any of your questions if you want to p.m. me.

Sincerely,

Jeff Smith
Old 05-19-2007, 06:39:27 PM
Registered-II

Interesting stuff here. I saw a Lister diesel engine at a sale about 6 years ago which has led me on a path to where I am at now. A bonafide diesel nut. As a teen I drove a diesel grain truck to gather sweet corn from the 30 acre garden I worked at. I used to load tractor trailers and was always impressed with the Semi trucks that pulled them. Then I worked on a Tow boat and got some first hand experience with the power those huge diesels have. I drive a Dodge Cummins and am picking up a BMW diesel car soon. My Cummins engine is a 12 valve and it hates the new fuel. I get 2 mpg less on it unless I add two stroke oil to the fuel to help lube the fuel system, but it still isn't like old No. 2. It's hard to say what that fuel is going to do to the Cummins. Only time is going to tell. I was prepared to get 500,000 miles out of this truck on the low end, but who knows now. Imagine if the government said all you gassers had to use E85. There would be a pretty big uprising. It should be the same way for diesel owners. What proof is there that this isn't messing up our engines. I get a odd feeling when the government pushes these new diesel laws down our throat. I suspect its a conspiracy but I won't bore anyone with that theory. I'll just finish by saying if you have a chance to get your hands on the wheel of a diesel powered vehicle you are in for a treat. It's a whole different story then a gasser.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:16:02 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 3,177 Times in 984 Posts

Wittes End, what I've personally experienced with my Duramax is no difference in mileage between ULSD and the old LSD. I've read several posts on DieselPlace.com and DieselTruckResource.com showing the same to people having a worse mileage experience than you report. I'm not sure what the answer is. One theory I have is that when I bought my truck in March '06, the switch to ULSD was already underway. Since the fuel has to be 15 ppm sulfur content at the nozzle, it took awhile to flush all of the pipelines and holding tanks to achieve that level before the October deadline set by the EPA. The fuel I was getting may have been 100 ppm or less sulfur content, while you were used to the 500 ppm sulfur fuel that was around when your truck was built. Just a theory on my part.

I definitely have to agree with the statement that once you drive a diesel you're hooked. My first taste was a '93 Ford F-350 with the pre-Powerstroke 7.3L turbo diesel. It was gutless by today's standards, but it was world's more powerful than the 4 cylinder compact pickup I was driving at the time. At 35mph in town, I had to downshift my truck to 3rd gear to climb the hill between work and my apartment. In contrast, that Ford would accelerate up the same hill in 4th gear. I have to be very ginger on the throttle in my Duramax climbing a similar hill on wet pavement as it will break traction in 4th gear around 35mph. I'm sure it's a similar experience in a 24v Dodge.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:01:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,447 Times in 850 Posts

Well.... I have 2 of the 12 valve with the P 7100 pump. I can't say I see any difference with the ULSD at all. These pumps are lubricated with engine oil on the bottom end and are even rated to burn Kerosene. Last 4 fills in the 2 WD one ton Dually have been in the 22 MPG range. But that was running empty. Actually with the current fuel prices (Diesel 2.89.9 and Gas 3.39.9) I can drive the one ton cheaper than my 4 cyl Ford Ranger... And at least have enough power to go up the hills.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:34:51 PM
Registered-III

As for fuel mileage, my D-Max seems to be a little more finicky about the cetane rating, than anything else. Another touchy thing I've found with any diesel is air filtration, & flow. Choke one down on airflow just a little bit, and kiss milage goodbye.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:35:35 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Geyer View Post
You mean they want us to use bio-diesel but the new engines won't use it
No, they certainly don't want you to use it. Nor do they want you burning furnace oil, recycled engine oil, waste vegetable oil, marked fuel oil, oil from crops you grew yourself, or ANYTHING ELSE that is not sold at the pump and TAXED.

Ever wonder why half the new cars in Europe are diesel? Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, Isuzu, Mitsubishi they make and sell every kind of diesel vehicle all over the world. Not in North America though.

Gee, I wonder why?

As for the Liberty, forget it, they're not going to make another diesel Heep from what I've read and Daimler is trying to dump Chrysler now anyway they say.

It's like the electric car joke. Look at the cross-over share ownership between the oil companies and the automakers. GM sells the batteries to Texaco and then says, 'sorry we can't build any electric cars with NMh batteries because we don't own the patents anymore!'
Old 05-25-2007, 10:35:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,447 Times in 850 Posts

Well... As I understand it Chrysler has already been sold to a Kind of a Investment company...

Also the reason for the elimination of the Diesel Liberty was the engine couldn't meet 2007 Emissions... BUT for 2008 the jeep Cherokee is going to be offered with a V6 Diesel by Mercedes I geuss unless they dump it at the last minute due to the buyout....

Get ready for a Light Duty V6 and V8 Diesel by Cummins in the Dodge Durango, Dakota, and the 1500 in a couple years... I Hope it holds up better than some of the other light duty diesels offered in Pickups....

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/eve.../release85.jsp

Also the Current 6.7 Liter Cummins in the Ram 2500 and 3500 is the only Medium Duty Diesel to already meet 2010 emissions....

Last edited by Ken Majeski; 05-25-2007 at 11:03:12 PM. Reason: Add More
Old 06-14-2007, 01:14:30 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,078 Times in 495 Posts

This has been an interesting discussion, since i started this post I attended a GSA (govt) auction and took home a 2001 jeep cherokee for short money. This 4.0 liter is giving me 20mpg. I keep it around 60 in the right lane. I am on a new job and driving 100 miles a day. So it hurts a little. Thats 5 gallons a day gas which would have been 3 gallons a day diesel. But no car loan, cheeper insurance and relatively low excise tax(hiway use tax in some states).

Kens link and post are encouraging that once things settle with the regulations and cummings has developed this new engine-- I could perhaps get a wrangler cummings. Engine and vehicle both Built in USA. I'd be a lot more inclinded to trust cummings to build the engine right than GM, who might crash the whole program to save 5c on washers.

BTW, Ken I heard the cherokee was available in diesel in 07 and 08, but I might wrong. But, it is definately not sold in Mass. Thats not a plain old cherokee, its a grand cherokee and a little to grand for my taste.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:02:04 PM
Subscriber

http://www.oemoff-highway.com/print/OEM-Off-Highway/Emissions--The-Diesel-Age/1$427

HI all, this is the link to the magazine article that I scanned and attached previously but was not legible. You may find it of interest. PT

Last edited by PFT; 08-06-2007 at 09:55:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:00:57 AM
Subscriber

5% biodiesel maximum?!

Have a look at this, it may help to explain why small and medium size diesel vehicles will be kept out of the US until the bitter end: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1611689/posts

Think BIG people. It will all make sense if we just follow the money.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:48:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,253 Times in 653 Posts

What this country needs is the Japs to bring in a small light duty affordable reliable diesel back here like they did in the 80's. That would shake things up as most people cant afford $35,000.00+ for a stupid diesel truck.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:03:00 PM
Subscriber

check this out for diesel regulations.. lol this is my 00 ford f250 powerstroke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n20714873_34261087_6184.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	22394  
Old 08-24-2007, 12:22:04 AM
Registered-III

nice truck kyle

jordan
Old 09-02-2007, 01:42:55 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,733 Times in 4,278 Posts
Exclamation Re: Diesels in 45 states ONLY !

Not to bust anyones bubble on high milage on diesels, but I had a 1966 chevy Impala SS with what I would call a high performance 327 engine in it. it had a Torque Command (manual shift powerglide) trans in it. I averaged 18 MPG with it around town and on a trip to Florida, in 1977, averaged 22 MPG. one tankful of Hess hi test got me 28 MPG, from Washington DC to Roanoke Rapids SC! I owned that car from 1974 until 1984, when the floor pan finally rotted away so bad, my wife put her foot thru it. I sold the car to my brother who used it for another 3 years, before the front end came apart. When I got it at 49,000 miles, I changed the oil, and then changed it every 2500 mi, religiously. My brother kept up the tradition, and the car had over 375000 miles on it when ithe front end fell apart. At that time the engine was still running strong, didn't smoke, and even though my brother was a lead foot, still was geting 18+ MPG. He sold the running gear, and it was still being used as of 3 years ago, but now the present owner has moved, and I lost track of it. The only unique features the engine had, that I remember were the fact that it had a Rochester Quadrajet, with HUGE secondaries, a large bore dual exhaust, that cost a mint from GM to replace (all parts had to be special ordered)and a dual intake aircleaner, like that used on some olds high performance engines. That old 327 sure could wind up if you kept your foot in it! When I was dating, my wife borrowed the car to go to the store. She was used to an automatic, and drove 6 miles in 1st gear, top the store and back. Her parents and I could hear that poor engine screaming from a mile away, as she came up a local highway!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:14:03 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBlankenship View Post
check this out for diesel regulations.. lol this is my 00 ford f250 powerstroke.
Nice smoke.