Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors, trains and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Milling machine

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 4700 times

Old 05-27-2007, 10:07:44 AM
Registered-I

Default Milling machine

I bought that logan lathe. Now I'm looking for a mill. I've been looking at the smithy lx dedicated mill. This mill is affordable and has a lot of nice features. But I don't know how long a lot of these model engines are the only specs. given are bore, stroke and flywheel dia. the easiest way to bore the cylinder that I know is to stand it up in a mill. With the engine on end plus a boring head and bar this adds up quick and needs to fit under the head. Most of the other parts are small and manageable. Has anyone run a smithy mill or even sheen one in person? Also how long is the main frame of these models with 10inch flywheels? Any thoughts appreciated and as always thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2007, 10:34:27 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: milling machine

I can't comment on the mill but a right angle head would let you do the bore horizontal instead of vert. Or preferably make a jig for your lathe carriage and do them on there.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:56:29 AM
Registered-II

Most 8-9-10in. flywheeled engines run about a foot long in the body. For vertical boring a standard sized mill will be required. However, that operation can be done in your fancy new lathe. It's just a matter of set-up time. Your next tallist operation would be drilling flywheel hubs for set screws, you will need about 5in. + drill chuck to do that. So you will need about 10 in. under the spindle. You can do most operations with the lathe, it's just a matter of set-up time. In my opinion, with the influx of CNC equiptment, standard sized mills can be had for about what you paid for the lathe. Ninty percent of the mill work can be done with a benchtop type mill and what can't be done on one can be done in the lathe, again, it's just a matter of set-up time and fixturing.
If you can find a standard mill in decent shape with a DRO for around two grand, take it. The mass of the machine effects the final product, both in finish and cut time. It's hard to beat a Bridgport type mill when it comes to avaliable tooling.

P.S. You're getting there, another 5-10K and you could have a fairly well equipted machine shop!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:59:25 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,169 Times in 341 Posts

Hi John,

Be glad you didn't buy a smithy because you would be spending most of your time breaking it down and then setting it back up every time you need to use the lathe or the mill. A lot of these individual castings or parts require a some mill work and some lathe work to complete the part. So this means a lot of setup time changing back in forth between the lathe and the mill. In my opinion you made the correct choice with the mill and lathe you purchased. Did you get a quick tool change post and holders for your lathe? It saves you a lot of time and makes machining more enjoyable well worth the money. Here are a few places where you can purchase a lot of different machinist tools, raw stock, machines, etc.. just about anything you would want for machining at a fair price. Also check out the suppliers here on Harry's site I believe some of them sell machine tools,etc.. Have Fun!

P.S....hope to see ya in January a the Florida show.

www.use-enco.com

www.mscdirect.com

http://www.enginads.com/bizcards.shtml

Last edited by John Davis; 06-13-2007 at 10:05:00 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:33:12 PM
Subscriber

John

That's www.use-enco.com

Jim
Old 07-06-2007, 12:29:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,169 Times in 341 Posts

John,

Here's one for your lathe..

http://www.lathe.com/
Old 07-06-2007, 05:35:17 PM
Registered-II

the advantage of the bridgeport style mill is that if you hang the work off the side of the table you can rotate the head over the top of it for operations too tall to fit on the table. the other limitation is the quill stroke on most bridgeport style machines is 5 inches but you can get a few more by cranking the table//knee up and down this actually might be more square anyway. I've got one of those 2/3 scale bridgeport enco wannabes its actually alot nicer than my bridgeport at work
Old 08-21-2007, 08:28:21 PM
Registered-III

John...............just acquired a Smithy 3in1 via ebay..........used, and in great shape !!!! They're great folks to call and ask questions of. Good luck !!!

Now I hope to choose the right model kit to start with !!!

Kenn