eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBayŠ Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBayŠ Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBayŠ Auction Discussion

Ebay now PayPal Only?

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 4068 times

Old 11-09-2008, 04:37:39 AM
Registered-II

Default Ebay now PayPal Only?

Hi,

I usually hang out in the Onan Generator forum, but now have a ebay question. Was looking to buy a item and the seller's store page said they would accept money orders, but the payment options at the bottom of the screen only listed PayPal. Asked the seller about this and the reply was that PayPal is now the ONLY accepted payment option on ebay. Is this true? I have heard that sellers were being required to accept PayPal, but are all other forms of payment now banned?

Thanks,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2008, 07:25:29 AM
Registered-III

Location: 1851 6th. Conc. North, R. R. Stayner, Ontario Canada, L0M 1S0
Default Re: Ebay now PayPal Only?

Tim: So I was told just recently by a seller of an item I wished to bid on. I think it will certainly curb my buying [not that ebay would miss what I spend]. I did register to make the purchase, not too terribly thrilled about it though. The seller seemed to have the dis-regard for the whole situation as well.

Robert
Old 11-09-2008, 09:44:40 AM
Subscriber

Hi, I think Nov. 1st this change went in effect. I went to list some things yesterday and Paypal is the only option. Won't allow any "paper" transaction (money order, cashier check,personal check). A few acception were in auto, tractor , some heavy industrial items, cash on pickup maybe allowed if I understood correctly. Not sure why this change took place. Dennis
Old 11-09-2008, 09:46:27 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,500 Times in 1,647 Posts

I've sold some items in the last few weeks on ebay and it allowed me to accept Money Orders, etc. When I first made the listing I did not include Paypal as a payment option. But, I revised the item and it required me to list Paypal as a payment option when I revised it. I still had other payment options listed as well.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:56:50 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,030 Posts

Pay Pal is a safest handling money than check or money order. It will proof a fund. Some seller has required Paypal. Some seller except all form of payments. I am currently selling items on eBay and 98 % of all customers prefer Pay pal. A very few I received money order or a Check to clear 7-10 days before shipping. I think the new user doesn't know what is Pay pal. One time back in 2001 I sent money order to a seller when I won one eBay item. The seller said you have no money order in the envelope. I was suspicious if he wants double money order. Now I use Pay pal as a transaction history paid order details to proof that seller can't lie or it happened improperly order. I do accept money order or check because it doesn't have pay pal selling fee. Same things when all business where you shop using your credit cards. The seller business have to pay small transaction fee for each customer purchases. One time I have problems cashing in bank with Canadian money order. I may delay their shipping when fund is clear. Sometime seller must use Pay pal authored by E bay because seller's past money order or check transaction were improperly by unsatisfied customer. Go ask your banker they will tell you more.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by greysteam24hp; 11-09-2008 at 11:59:40 AM. Reason: add
Old 11-09-2008, 03:06:23 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,164 Times in 756 Posts

As far as I can see, there is nothing stopping you listing alternative methods of payment, as long as PayPal is also on the auction.

I have a standard block of text in the payment area where I say that I will accept cheque (check) PayPal or cash on collection.

See ebay # 120324488171 and scroll down the page to the payment details. That was just over a week or so ago.

I am almost certain that ebay cannot force you to use PayPal ONLY, it will allow other methods as long as PayPal is in there.

Peter
Old 11-09-2008, 03:13:29 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,235 Times in 966 Posts

I'm presently following a couple catalogs--one auto and the other ag--and both still say other payment methods than PayPal available.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:19:27 PM
In Memory Of Helen

I think this page explains the payment policies as they now apply to ebay........Helen

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

copy and paste the above link
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George & Helen Myers For This Post:
Old 11-11-2008, 06:07:53 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,078 Times in 495 Posts

I guess I am done with EBAY for a while. Its been a great run but its over for me. I dont know what the actual policy is, but it appears most of the sales now require pay pal only. I understand this might not be not the official ebay policy but it seems most of the listings have ended up this way.

I just tried to sell something and its seems that paypal is required and I dont have an account. I did try and complete the process just too see what my other options were. I did not see checks as payment option. So; it must be some hidden/difficult method or allowed in certain catagories only.

For now I am definitely out as a seller and maybe wait till after the recession and see if sellers figure out how to offer listings that allow checks as an option.

This completely changes the character of ebay from a flea mkt, common exchange to a professional/business market.

I know, paypal is a requirement and checks are "supposed to be" optional. But it cuts out the average guy from cleaning his garage and selling on ebay. You know the average person, who does not have a paypal account. The same guy who might poorly list and sell without reserve a valuable item. Whats the fun of a flea mkt if everything is offered by slick salesman types.

The original premise of ebay was that average people would trust each other. Seems to have degenerated to the lowest level of mis trust and paypal commission greed.

Edit: It is sad to say -We might be entering the worst economic times since the great depression. The last year with 4.00/gas might have seemed tough. But that was not even a recession. Now we are in an actual recession. Not a pretend political recession. A spiral down thats most scary Ive seen in my life. What an opportunity for ebay to cash in on the human suffering and desperation, squandered by their nickle & dime short sighted greed.

Last edited by Peter; 11-11-2008 at 06:13:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:42:02 PM
terry tabb

in time ebay will be forced to pay taxes , in the campain, they were saying , that they where losing a lot of taxes, from the ebayers , it will be just like gambling was band in u.s. for taxes, money flow was flowing, im dont mined paying taxes but thats just another way to push out alot more places and alot of cash flow , then how are you going to pay over sea tax , now theres a conferseration, we pay enough in postal services, take away postal money orders they just knok out that cash flow , the people we put in to office are not thinking thing though, like what comes next , just hey let try this and see what happens,its like you can til when go to a town, road go where ever, you know the boy didnt play with cars, they played with a doll, engine people can see though what makes that thing work , ed-ja-kate-did idioes, cant,,flow the money ,or slow it down, what you got , another fixer spot,well if i could type and spell, this thing would be longer
Old 11-11-2008, 07:01:26 PM
Registered-III

>>>>we pay enough in postal services, take away postal money orders they just knok out that cash flow >>>

Ahh but you are just being greedy commrade . Besides , USPS is in the hole every quarter for 1 or two billion bucks as it is . The way they work it out , all the extra packages and money orders just makes them lose MORE money .
Old 11-11-2008, 10:59:13 PM

Thanked 20,737 Times in 6,002 Posts

I JUST jumped on a "Buy it Now" and got an email which states, in part:

Quote:
You may pay for your item instantly by clicking the "Pay Now" button
at the bottom of the page or you may use any of the following payment methods:

PayPal

If you want to mail your payment, please include the following:
1. Check, MO or Cashier's Check
2. Your shipping address
3. A copy of this page.

Mail to the following address:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
709 East WEST Street, Suite XYZ
SOMEWHERE, CA 93065
I found that kind of enlightening.......
Old 11-11-2008, 11:53:23 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,792 Times in 193 Posts

From what I know, The buyer is not required to pay with Paypal...Only paypal has to be a option that is available. Other methods like check's or money orders are still ok if the seller accepts them.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:22:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,989 Times in 3,785 Posts

The new PayPal Only policy went into effect a couple weeks ago, but at that time they still allowed sellers to at least mention checks and money orders as options, but now if you even mention Money Order anywhere in your listing it is automatically 'red flagged' and you get a notice telling you to change your listing.
You can mention 'other' payment as in "PayPal only as per eBay's new policy, but buyers can still 'Request' other payment options, up til Jan 15th." Cash can still be listed as an option for items listed as local pick up, but since eBay OWNS PayPal, they want to force everyone to use it so they get more commission money from it. After Jan 15th 2009 sellers can't accept any other payment than payPal and some new online payment method they're working on that I haven't checked out yet, or the Cash option on local pickup for cars machinery, and other large items. Anything listed after Jan 15th not listing Paypal, and offering checks or Money Orders will be pulled by eBay.
PayPal cost the buyer nothing to use, it is paid by the seller with PayPal automatically taking their cut out the sellers account when processing the payment. The worst part about PayPal though is that they take their commission out of the TOTAL Including shipping. If you sell something big and/or heavy that has a high shipping cost, but sells for a low bid amount, the PayPal commission can in some cases excede the actual selling price. One first hand example, I sold an old Dodge dealership wiper blade display rack once that after listing twice I dropped my start price to $0.17 to get a lower listing fee and let it go with No Reserve. Ended up getting a single bid and sold for $0.17 ! Large oversized package ended up costing somewhere in the $18.00-$20.00 range for Postage to Florida. The bidder paid with Paypal, and their commission ended up being $0.85 on a $0.17 sale after I had already paid the listing fee and the final selling price commission to ebay.
PayPal is great for the buyer, but a total ripoff for the seller unless they jack their shipping fee's way up and hope they don't get negative feedback by doing so. I found a machine tool dealer in California that has his own shipping calculator in his listing which offers options for packing material including $10.00 for bubble wrap or $12.00 for foam padding. That's above and beyond the already high shipping charge. I e-mailed the guy once asking how many feet of bubble wrap I would get for that $10.00 consider you could buy a whole roll of it for 1/2 that, but he never replied. He will probably raise that even higher now with the Paypal Only Policy since Paypal will take a percentage of that also.
Just a side note..... the ones listing 'free' shipping are generally starting at a higher price to cover the free shipping. You wont find many 99 cent start prices offering free shipping.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:23:35 PM
Registered-III

Way way back in time, I used paypal with my credit card. Then one day, I exceeded a set limited amount of usage and was informed I would have to provide bank account number or debit card info. I went back another time and tried to use a credit card and again, paypal saw who I was and said no-no-no, you have to give us access too your account.

I don't use a debit card because if someone hacks into a system or bad things happen you account can be drained. If the same happens with a credit card, i can refuse to pay and file a dispute. With a debit card the difference is while I fight a dispute the money is already gone. I buy online all the time, amazon for instance, with a low credit line credit card. I will not buy gas, groceries or anything ever-ever with a debit card.

For a professional ebay seller, its easy enough to create a business account just for pay pal. For me its a non starter. Unless paypal will take a credit card (not debit)and then I assume they would have too eat the 3% fee real credit cards pull from the transaction?

Ebay should setup a system like Amazon. Amazon has many sellers offering used and discount books. I buy a used book with plastic via the Amazon front end. No real risk to me. Any problem, amazon mediates. Never had one but they say they will. At least the buyer is treated well under that system.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:58:45 PM

Thanked 20,737 Times in 6,002 Posts

Peter.....I've had a PayPal account for years using ONLY a credit card.
For business purposes I DID have to have my checking account verified but I never use my CHECKING account for payments.
Anyway.......Paypal has never cost me one penny and comes in REAL handy when paying in foreign currencies.
I've paid for purchases in England, Australia and Canada and never paid a penny in fees.

BTW......gotta love Amazon......
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 11-20-2008, 02:51:47 PM
eMail NOT Working

I was very suspicious of pay pal but with so many sellers saying they would accept only pay pal I gave in and signed up. I used my credit card and I have a password that only I know. Today I bought my first item and used pay pal. It went so easy and in less than a minute it was paid for. No putting a check in a envelope with a 42 cent stamp and wait 3 days to get there and 10 days to clear your bank. The seller can send it right away and there is no fee for me, the buyer. I'll give it a try.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Davidson For This Post:
Old 11-20-2008, 04:26:17 PM
Registered-III

Thanks Craig,John,

I heard that before, but now I will definitely try again using a credit card with paypal. If I can win something.....
Old 11-20-2008, 06:37:37 PM
Registered-III

I'm glad to hear that. Pay pal is easy safe & I have had great luck with it
Old 11-20-2008, 11:09:38 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,030 Posts

Experiences and well done with my Pay Pal since 2000. I've never had a problem.