Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

FREE Show Calendar listings

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 3464 times

Old 01-18-2010, 03:45:40 PM

Thanked 20,741 Times in 6,005 Posts
Default FREE Show Calendar listings

I was just looking at the Free Calendar Events to see if a couple substantial Wisconsin shows are listed........one of them doing an IHC feature......and they are NOT....... .......so I breezed through the rest of the calendar and saw an awful lot of room to post.
At the cost of print advertising and the time lags I would THINK shows would use every available means of FREE advertising available to them.......

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/calendar.php
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 04:53:06 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: FREE Show Calendar listings

Hello,
If I post now is there a way to edit the post as events are added to the show? I'm still waiting for get a semi-preliminary event listing of my home show to post. (It seems to change faster than the weather) I was thinking there wasn't anyway to edit.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 01-18-2010, 05:27:43 PM

Thanked 20,741 Times in 6,005 Posts

If YOU posted the event I think YOU may edit it.
If not don't hesitate to PM a mod to make changes for you!.......
Old 03-11-2010, 07:21:08 AM
Subscriber

Ever since the calendar was initiated there seems to have been a lack of interest in listing shows and auctions. Not sure if folks figure "someone else will list it" or just don't bother.

I try to remember to list the shows I'm most personally involved with but sometimes feel kind of strange listing other folk's shows, although I have.

Not sure how to encourage folks to put events on the calendar and indicate which shows they are attending on there too. I sure get tired of seeing all of those posts on the main board of "Who's going to the Such-and-Such show?"
Old 03-11-2010, 06:09:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,553 Posts

Leonard,
Are you going to be at the Berryville, Va. Swap Meet on March 27th and 28th?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:48:35 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,505 Times in 2,522 Posts

A reminder!

Don't simply post a one-liner. You may know where your show is located, but not many other folks do.

Remember: WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN and WHY.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:54:20 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,886 Times in 2,965 Posts

Harry:

I just don't understand why folks don't use your free show calendar any more than they do. I've done a show or two in the distant past and always took advantage of every speck of free publicity I could get.

I've missed a couple of shows in the general area because they weren't listed on your calendar.

Hey people! Listen up! LOTS of folks visit Harry every day and you can get more attendance at your show(s) if you use Smokstak to holler about it.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand
Old 09-23-2010, 11:21:48 PM
Registered-II

I have tried to list our show this year 3 times and nothing.I even sent a message to a moderator and still nothing. What do i need to do to get our show posted ?Thanks,Pete
Old 09-23-2010, 11:26:47 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,505 Times in 2,522 Posts

When show listings are posted, include WHO is putting on the show, WHAT is going on, WHERE it is happening and WHEN it is happening. We all know WHY.

You know all this, but your readers do not. When incomplete listings come in, I have no choice but to delete the listing.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:04:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,997 Times in 3,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig A View Post
If YOU posted the event I think YOU may edit it.
If not don't hesitate to PM a mod to make changes for you!.......
Once your listing is approved and posted, if you go back and find mistakes that need editing.... down in the bottom righthand corner there is a box with "Event Options" with a dropdown menu arrow beside it and the "Go" button next to it. The drop down menu will show "Edit Event". Click on that and then the "Go" button and it will take you back to the the original listing page the way you typed it up so you can make changes.

I've had to do that several times myself when posting the dates for the Stephenson County Antique Engine Club show in Freeport IL or the dates for the Railroad runs.

Unless I keep missing it, there doesn't seem to be any way to "Preview" your calendar listings like you can a thread post, so if you mis-type sometheeng or mess up when trying to highlight something with bold print or a different color you can't see how it looks until it's been approved by the moderators and actually posted on the calendar.

I've messed them up pretty good a couple times, and stumbled accross the "edit" button myself while waiting to hear back from the moderators when I asked them if they could fix it for me.

I CAN'T edit my thread posts, but I CAN edit my calendar listings.

If you click on someone elses calendar listing, that "Event Options" "Edit Event" menu isn't there, so only the original poster of the show dates can make changes.... Unless maybe the moderators can change them for you.

Just a thought/suggestion.... Maybe if there was a "Preview" option so people could see what their listing looked like before posting... more people might use it