Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

How do you show YOUR engines? (on or off the trailer)

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 6885 times

Old 10-03-2009, 04:07:32 PM
Registered

Default Re: How do you show YOUR engines? (on or off the trailer)

We put every engine on the ground, and most of the time, every engine has something belted up to it. We (Tony Leonard, Brad Adams and myself) run multiple water pumps, corn shellers, corn grinders, fans, old power hack-saws, an old grinding wheel set-up we made, and even a couple of can crushers. Before we started running attachments, people would always look at the engines and ask, "What did people do with these things?". Now they can see first-hand "what people did with these things"! People seem to be amazed by the flat belts pulling our equipment. At some shows, you can see people pointing toward our display long before they get to it. I have even saw people skip nice static display engines and come straight to ours and just stand and look around. A working display draws alot of attention and pictures!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Euart For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2009, 06:38:44 PM
Registered

Default Re: How do you show YOUR engines? (on or off the trailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Euart View Post
...most of the time, every engine has something belted up to it... A working display draws alot of attention and pictures!
I agree. One of the nicest displays I saw this summer was a running log saw. He could run it a looooong time without attention because he rigged up a metal stand to hold the saw teeth off the log so it would not cut further. He cut the log half way thru, then put the holdoff stand in place. Everything was in position- saw embedded in log, going back and forth, but never completing the cut. Very ingenious.

-Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick I For This Post: