Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Freeport, Illinois Show

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1777 times

Old 07-22-2008, 01:42:15 AM
Registered

Default Freeport, Illinois Show

Are any of you guys (or gals) going to be attending the show this weekend (July 25, 26, & 27) in Freeport, Illinois? If so, look me up. I'll have a SmokStak sign in a picture frame set out with my engine display. I'll also have plenty of chairs under my sun canopy if you need a shady spot to sit under for a while.

I plan on taking engines that I have had for a while, but have never had at a show before. I have never even had a few of them running since I bought them, so I'll be doing a lot of tinkering the next few days to try to get them going. Hopefully, I will get all the bugs worked out of them so that I don't end up muttering some naughty words at them during the show.

There are lots of different food vendors that set up on the grounds, but I recommend going to the food stand that the ladies of the club operate. Unfortunately, their food stand is in one of the fairgrounds buildings that is not really close to the other food vendors, so many people don't realize they are there. They have the best homemade barbecue sandwiches, and lots and lots of delicious homemade pies. Over the course of a 3 day weekend at the show there, I probably average inhaling 20 barbeques!

Hope to see some of you there, and my camera will be ready for Stakker photos if you all want to meet for a group picture!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2008, 07:28:26 AM
Registered

Default Re: Freeport, Illinois Show

I might be there on Sunday as I have to go to Rockford. I know Bob Nawa will be there with his models.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:54:36 PM
Registered

i will be there on saturday morning. i never miss that show. harry
Old 07-24-2008, 01:06:08 AM
Registered

I'll be there on Saturday as a spectator. Love that BBQ and homemade pie too!!!
Larry
Old 07-24-2008, 11:02:16 PM
Registered

Look me up while you're there guys. I should be pretty easy to find. I didn't take many engines due to having broken the big toe on my left foot a couple of days ago. I'm exhibiting my Fuller & Johnson "Double Efficiency", 4 1/2 HP Rawleigh Schryer, 2 1/2 HP Rawleigh, 1 1/2 HP Fairbanks Morse Z, the Whopnbanger inverted vertical, vertical sideshaft model engine, hover mower, and will have a couple small engines and a few parts to sell. Look for my SmokStak signs too, and stop in and introduce yourselves!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 06:47:16 AM
Registered

How about a group Stakker photo around 1 PM Saturday? Let's meet at my display area.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:01:13 AM
Registered

Well- The show went well, and the temperatures really weren't too bad!!! I had the pleasure of meeting fellow Stakker, Larry Dunlap, and enjoyed chatting with him.

For those of you who haven't yet heard, the Freeport show will no longer be held in the month of July. The fair association has decided to move the county fair from August to July, and the engine show is basically being displaced. The engine show will be held during the 3rd weekend of September beginning next year.

The engine show has been held the last full weekend in July for just under 40 years, so I hope that changing the dates to September will still allow those that exhibit the opportunity to participate. One thing is for certain- moving to September will mean that the temperatures will be MUCH more bearable.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures of my display. I didn't belt any of my engines up to anything due to having broken a toe a few days before the show, so my display was rather boring. I'll be sure to have plenty of action in my display next year!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freeport 2008.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	36765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Freeport 2008 End.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	36766  
Old 07-30-2008, 12:26:28 AM
Registered

I had a great time at the show. Had a great conversation with fellow staker Ironman. It's always good to put a face with a name I see here on the Stack. Larry