Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Need advice on a winch

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 7897 times

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 01:05:14 PM
Chris Kirk

Default Need advice on a winch

The engine collection has gotten big enough so that I have to buy a winch to load my truck. I've never bought one before and know nothing about them. I've done a little reading so far, and I know I'd like to buy an electric winch. What are the advantages of an AC vs. DC winch? Can I run cables directly from the truck battery to run the DC, and how would I power an AC winch from my truck's circuit panel? Anything specific I should look for in construction, type of drive, etc? I'll only be using the winch to load my truck, and my heaviest engine (yet) will be around 1200lbs with the cart. I want to buy a well-made (perferrabley American made), name winch...have already been through the cheap import tool phase and I'm tired of things breaking. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks...

Chris
Old 07-31-2004, 02:35:30 PM
allen lapage

Default Re: Need advice on a winch

Yes you can power it from your truck battery. Just be sure to run ample size wire, I would not use lighter than #6 and be sure to put proper circut brakers in line. I would only have A winch with power in and out. Free spool is also A nice option, as well as A hand held remote. Makes life A lot easier. I also agree about buying one of good quality. Be sure to get one with more power than you need, you never know what the future holds. You might want to put it on something else some day. Inport tools are ok for some things but not when it comes to safty.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:54:09 PM
SONNY

I USED HEAVY COPPER JUMPER CABLES TO SUPPLY THE WINCH POWER JUST RAN THEM ALONG THE FRAME SECURE REMEMBER THE BREAKER AT THE POWER END MANUAL WILL TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED
Old 07-31-2004, 03:04:13 PM
David in KCK

Yes, a good American Winch is a great idea. I've been told that you should figure between 1 1/2 to 2 times the weight you want to pull or more (i.e., if your gonna pull 500 lbs ROLLING weight then get at least a 750-1000 winch. Personally, I feel more power is better). Also...rolling weight and dead weight are NOT the same! Your 1200 lb engine most likely is only about 250 to 350 rolling weight tops, but bigger winches are NEVER bad, only more expensive! I've had really good luck with RAMSAY winches myself. They seem to be very well built and last....but are kinda heavy if you don't mount them permanent to what you use them on. ALSO...on that thought, I keep all my winches "detachable", because I don't like the getting rained/snowed on! My opinions, not to be confused with fact

David Green
Old 07-31-2004, 03:37:27 PM
Ken Majeski

I have a 8,000 pound Ramsey myself. I originally bought it for my gooseneck trailer and it will load a 14,000 pound Steam Engine with a double line and snatch block. It came with a reciever hitch mount. I just welded a piece of square tubing to the front of the engine trailer and it just plugs into that. It's easy to transfer it from one trailer to another and also take it inside when not in use....

My Old Junk Page
Old 07-31-2004, 07:06:33 PM
BobRR

Chris check the archives too. as there was a good thread on winches not long ago.BobRR
Old 07-31-2004, 11:41:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,925 Times in 1,741 Posts

Chris: I have a WARN 4800# mounted on my trailer neck and just have a spare battery to operate it for the few times I need it. As far as AC-DC, I only considered DC because where I use it, I only have access to 12V-DC. For a hoist at home, I would use AC. Thinking about buying a WARN for the truck with a universal mounting plate and chain that is real portable for use in tight spots and in the pickup. Bigger is better, to a point.. Power in(loading)/out(unloading) + free wheeling(just dragging the cable out before hook up) is a must. Buy American WARN/Ramsey. Paul
Old 08-01-2004, 12:01:22 AM
Andrew Mackey

I have had a 2 ton 12 VDC winch for over 25 years, with no problems. For power I ran 2 #6 cables 1 red (battery +) and 1 black (battery -), along the frame and terminated in a 4 prong trailer hitch recepticle. I split the cables into 2 ends per wire, and soldered them into the connections in the recepticle, 2 ends for each side. I then installed a matching plug onto the winch cables, again splitting the cables into 2 ends, matching the connections mounted on the truck. This way, I can remove the winch, and not have to disturb the wiring. I also made up a set of cables for jump-starting cars. I put the cables on the dead battery, making sure the red cable is on battery +, and then plug in the recepticle. I start my engine and let it run for about 15 minutes. The plug is then disconnected and then the car is started. If 15 minutes of charge does not start the car, then either the battery is shot, or there is a problem in the starting circut. I do not start cars with the cables hooked up, as the #6 wire will not take a 200 amp load. The recepticle is also clearly marked '12 VDC POWER ONLY !' Andrew
Closed Thread