Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Need advice on an '03 Ford F350 diesel

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 9185 times

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 06:26:31 PM
Registered

Default OT - Need advice on an '03 Ford F350 diesel

Sorry for this OT question, but I'm sure that a lot of you here have experience with Ford Trucks, and I need some help.

I am looking to replace my gas-powered F150, possibly with a Diesel powered truck. My local Ford dealer has a 2003 F350 XL (work truck) 4x2 6 speed that got lost in inventory, so it's still new, with only 11.5 mi on the odometer. I'm interested in the truck - the sticker is $30,400, and he's come down to $22,000, which he says is his absolute bottom line. I've driven the truck, and it's got GOBS of torque, and seems to run very well. Some internet research showed that the Powerstroke diesel had some problems, mainly rough idling and diesel leaking into the crankcase oil, and a few instances of vehicle buybacks by Ford due to blown engines, chronic problems, etc. Some of these trucks were recalled for computer reprogramming as well. Overall, though, there seem to be thousands of satisfied customers.

Does anyone here have experience, good or bad, with the '03 F350 with a Powerstroke diesel? Please let me know, as I would like to make an intelligent decision as to wether I should give up my F150 for the F350.

Thanks...

Chris
Old 12-13-2004, 09:25:12 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: OT - Need advice on an '03 Ford F350 diesel

Chris, Since it's a new truck it will still have a new warranty. The 7.3 was a tough engine, and one of the best. I have pulled gobs of weight with one. Have the dealer install any computer upgrades before you drive it off the lot. I would like a better reason as to why an 03 is still on the lot. The price is cheap, real cheap! I have several friends with 03 fords and they like them,( almost as much as they like my 03 Duramax flat bed),
Old 12-13-2004, 10:08:00 PM
Registered

Is it a 6.0 or a 7.3 powerstroke. The 6.0's had the Idle problems Most of which are fixed with the latest and greatest in computor programs.. Just requires flashing the Computor's with the WDS Fords Scan tool. The first ones did have some Injector problems, A titaniam coating on a plunger would flake and then the Injector will leak externally and into the engine oil. This has not hurt any of the engines that I have worked on. Have Had 2 with the leaking internal Injectors. Usually requires figuring out which injector is leaking by using dye and if it has gone too long Ford Recomends replacing the Turbo Charger.. But You should get a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty on the diesel engine so All the little things should be covered. But over all they have been pretty decent.. I guess I would Make sure the Vehicle has the Latest Calibration for the computors and watch the oil level often first couple of oil Changes. and Ask that they put the new updated dip stick in. Old one has a black end that you cant read the new one is white and easier to read. If you buy it ENJOY
Randy L Peterson
Ford Certified Technician
IN Getting Cold South Dakota
Old 12-13-2004, 11:04:34 PM
Registered

Thing that bugs me most about the 6.0 and the 7.3, is that they are good motors in IH (I know, I know...Navistar) trucks, but when Ford got ahold of them...well, you know what happened. I am not bashing ford, I just find it interesting (I drive a ranger and love it). I am also an IH truck fan, and like Dodge trucks with the cummins too. (Seen one pullin 35K lbs...it's now on it's 4th trans ).

The simple serf
Old 12-14-2004, 04:18:54 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,200 Posts

I shamelessly admit to being brand loyal, but the cummins engine has about one half the wearing parts, and is about twice as beefy. If you're planning on keeping it forever I would say it would potentially give you less problems. Check out the difference between an inline six and a vee eight. Sixes are just inherently less problematic, and the problems show up quicker the more power you are making. Kevin
Old 12-14-2004, 11:13:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,037 Times in 1,623 Posts

That might apply to the older 2-valve Cummins, but the new 4-valve heads are a different story entirely. My engine machinist buddy was roundly cussing one of them the other day...his opinion was that Cummins had a good engine, but really shafted the customer on the 4-valves, for the sake of being able to advertise having "24 valves"...stamped steel bridges & rocker arms, tiny metric-sized valve stems & guides that his existing eqipment wouldn't work on, you name it & he didn't like it-& this guy has run a machine shop for about 40 yrs...
Closed Thread