Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

How to clean a diesel fuel tank?

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 23098 times

Old 08-10-2007, 06:46:39 PM
Registered

Default How to clean a diesel fuel tank?

It is a 130 to 140 gallon aluminum tank off a diesel truck. It is in pretty good shape but I can see a little crud in the bottom, to me it looks like a sprinkling of gritty substance. I want it gone. Is there a feasible way to get it shiny inside?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:17:21 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,387 Times in 783 Posts
Default Re: How to clean a diesel fuel tank?

Use some small rocks "like pea gravel" make sure the rocks have rounded edges... Use a mixture of dawn dish washing liquid and water "about a 70% water to 30% Dawn" and either roll the tank around or move it around so the rocks can move around in the bottom.. Then rinse it thoroghly with clean water and let it dry. This has worked for me with alluminum tanks in the past.. Hope this helps...
Old 08-10-2007, 09:16:50 PM
Registered

Photo Re: How to clean a diesel fuel tank?

I thought a pic may help. Here it is in the back of my van.

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/Purplegang/dirtytank.jpeg
Old 08-10-2007, 11:25:19 PM
John G. Simpson

put a half gallon of diesel in the tank and let sit for a day or so. if you can get a stick with a piece of cloth wrapped around the end and brush the gunk. turn the garden hose on it and let dry.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:43:09 AM
Franz

If you're in an area where biodiesel is available, a couple gallons of that will clean that tank slicker than snott on a doorknob. If you insist on adgitating it, throw in a few handsfull of broken sidewindow glass from a car, or some shattered tempered glass from a shelf.

The stuff on the bottom is only parafin residue. When you get the inside all clean and shiney, unless you keep the Diesel you put in the tank constantly adgitated, the parafin will be back in a year or so.

Only way I'd be concerned about the crud on the bottom would be if the tank came from a righ that was constantly running along the ocean, and might have gotten contaminated fuel in it.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:19:09 PM
Registered

OK it is shining like a new one inside. First I got a bottle of Dawn, the one that says it can work while it soaks. I poured it all in, put about a 1/4 tank of water in and rolled it around the yard. Not very good results so far. I went back to the store and got a box of Cascade auto dishwasher powder, this was Sunday morning. This is the kind with no bleach because I read that bleach and organics equal chlorine gas. It has soda and enzymes. I liked the enzyme part. I poured the whole box in, braced the tank, filled it to the brim with water, capped and left it in the all day sun. It reached 100 Sunday, 102, Monday, and 102 degrees today. This evening I drained it and saw that the area around the drain was shiny but the rest was dull. I refilled it 1/4 and rolled it around the yard again. This time when I drained it it was shining everywhere I could see. Parafin pieces were coming out with the drain water so I rinsed it some more. I now have a dry air purge on it for the next several days, wish I had nitrogen but air will have to do. When I set it up I will have a 30 micron Racor, then a 10 micron Racor then the AR50041 John Deere filter that John D. says is 5 micron. There is a video camera that sees around corners. I need one.