Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Black & Decker Grinder with Custom Pedestal

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 785 times

Old 06-16-2017, 11:15:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,172 Times in 2,055 Posts
Default Black & Decker Grinder with Custom Pedestal

Picked up a Black & Decker 1 hp, 1750 rpm grinder a few months back while I was working on the other B&D buffer and the Cincinnati polisher, only this one came without a pedestal. My initial thought was just do a pedestal the way I did the first ones almost 30 years ago, a steel wheel, weld a pipe to it and fill wheel with concrete, quick cheap simple. Looking at the old ones, then looking at the 2 with cast iron pedestals, I quickly decided I needed to do something nicer.

So I went looking thru my "make art out of it" pile, its the stuff that clearly had no value, yet was too cool to scrap. First thing I came upon was a timing gear from a Superior 60SX8, this was a spare gear for the engines I had that came from a "Sage Project" installation, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-A...nd_Environment. I had kept this gear in dry storage since about '95, gave up on it a few years ago and moved it outside, so its got some patina, but in the end it will be painted.

At first my thought was just weld a pipe to it, but the more I thought about it the less I liked that idea so off to the art pile I went. Found these Pratt & Whitney radial aircraft gears and they were a perfect fit, just for the record I've been storing these since the early 90's, nobody wants them, IIRC they are a gear in the starting train, my best guess is they've been superceeded. Found a piece of paperwork in one of the boxes, these gears date back to at least 1952. If anyone here wants that piece of paper, let me know.

This piece of plate steel for the grinder to mount to came out of a local bank vault that was being removed, the 1" all-thread and misc parts are just general scrap. I welded the all-thread to the plate, dropped a piece of 1" black pipe over that, then stacked the P&W gears on and secured with a nut. After that I welded all the gears together and top gear to the plate, I did not want to put all my faith in just the all-thread weld.

The bad pic of the grinder is because its already bolted to floor of trailer to head to Nevada, it still needs bearings and a cool paint job, I hope to finish it and the pedestal this fall. I'm moving all the small shop stuff to Nevada this year, and plan to hire a semi to haul the big stuff next summer, I'm getting real tired of the drive and need to stay in 1 place for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bdg 1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	284536   Click image for larger version

Name:	bdg 2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	284537   Click image for larger version

Name:	bdg 3.jpg
Views:	104