Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Saving Casters

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1654 times

Old 08-14-2017, 12:53:09 PM
Registered

Default Saving Casters

These been outside ??? years, trying to get axle bolt out. pressing's not working. Thinking either pressure vessel of ??? to dissolve rust that wont damage rubber or aluminum or electrolysis, which I'm thinking might damage aluminum???
Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gurney.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	288587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gurney2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	288588  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2017, 06:51:50 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts
Default Re: Saving casters

Because of the screw slot on the end opposite the threaded end, I think the axle may be threaded into the nut end of the caster. See if you can turn the axle out of the caster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 08:22:24 AM
Registered

Line of sight Akuna? Thought if electrodes were surrounding your item it'd work all around. I'm unconcerned with bolt, the caster and wheel hub are aluminum though, plus the swivel bearings are made into the unit. They're off an ambulance gurney and were top shelf casters.
I was thinking that too Elden. Screw heads are beveled though, can't hold them. Thinking on clamping the nut end and trying to work loose, then cutting off.
Wondering what'd be best penetrant so's not to kill rubber or aluminum??
Old 08-15-2017, 10:47:32 AM
Registered

Might weld a nut onto the axle and try an impact wrench. Maybe a little heat on the aluminum to help?
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieB For This Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 06:31:07 PM
Registered

Default Re: Saving Casters

I doubt that there would be aluminum as the "bearing material", since it would be very poor choice. Bronze can get a corrosion that is formidable too. Kroil is the ultimate penetrating oil.......but it can take a while too. It is a favorite to use when trying to take a cutter head off a continuous miner............nothing but corrosion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rj1939 For This Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 09:19:55 PM
Registered

Kinda thinking on antifreeze or brake fluid in pressure vessel. Any thoughts?
Old 08-27-2017, 10:39:53 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Oxford View Post
Kinda thinking on antifreeze or brake fluid in pressure vessel. Any thoughts?
Think you should quit thinking and listen to rj1939. Both of your proposals are corrosive. Don't think that will help.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:49:00 AM
Registered

Hmm. Guess you gonna have to educate me on their corrosiveness. Cooling system corrodes without anti-freeze, brake fluid sits in aluminum components for years with little if any affect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwayne Oxford For This Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 12:19:21 PM
Registered

Kroil has a little phosphoric acid in it, that helps break down rust/corrosion. If you could seal up one side of the caster, so it would take pressure, that would speed things up.

I freed up a stuck motor in a standard tread IH, one time, using pressure. I looking through the spark plug hole and saw it wasn't rusty, just kind of a straw color in the cylinders. Poured diesel fuel into the cylinders and in a couple of days it had gone out of two, the two that held it, I put a fitting in the spark plug hole and put an air line to them (closed the valves of course) forgot about it for a while, next time I checked the diesel fuel was gone, refilled and put pressure back on............next day it was gone.

I, of course pulled it apart to do it right, but didn't have to do and "beating"
The Following User Says Thank You to rj1939 For This Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 07:57:22 PM
Registered

Brake fluid id hygroscopic. It will absorb water right from the air and carry it where ever it goes. Under pressure that will be many times worse.
Antifreeze has an additive that coats the entire cooling system so that there is very little actual contact and also seals it because ethylene glycol and water has a very low surface tension and will leak from places where water would not. That additive sodium silicate, the same stuff that the "cash for clunkers" program used to seize engines. That certainly won't help.
As millwrights we deal with steam and combustion turbines that have run at elevated temperatures for years, many out in the elements. When we take them apart there is no time to fiddle with reluctant fasteners. Our magic is Kroil. When you assemble threaded fasteners, use a good antiseize compound. When you take them apart. get Kroil on them as soon as possible( for us that often means while it is still running). I realize that many do not deal with this everyday but there is no need to reinvent the wheel with witch doctor mythology.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tdmidget For This Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 05:43:19 PM
Registered

Well, gott'um all freed up. Did a little test, laid a brake fluid soaked rag on a tire overnite, no damage, so I covered them in it in an old leaky pressure canner and pressured them up to 20 lbs. couple times and let them set 24 Hrs. I've used a homemade penetrant successfully of brake fluid and Shacklee Basic H for years, long's paint wasn't issue.