Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

'81 bcs 735

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 362 times

Old 10-19-2018, 01:44:01 PM
Registered

Default '81 bcs 735

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned in these forums. maybe not old enough, company didn't get started till about 1943. It's an Italian made 2 wheel tractor a buddy and I bought new in 1981.
Engine is a 10 horse Acme motors ALN 330, originally had a AL 330, I put on this newer ALN about a year ago when the old one was just about plumb wore out.
Now days it stays pretty much hooked up to that wagon for hauling fire wood and such.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firewood hauler.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	321103  
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnFM For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2018, 02:44:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: '81 bcs 735

I tried selling those mainly as tillers with little success. They were cheaper than TroyBilts and to me, much better, but the customer still wanted them. We had a bad distributor (money problems) and no advertising, so it was an uphill battle. Gave up on them after about 3 years.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:46:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,681 Times in 962 Posts

i like it! definetly got that cool factor to it!!
Old 10-19-2018, 03:29:39 PM
Registered

5 forward gears, 2 reverse, locking differential, independent wheel brakes, and PTO.
More attachments than you can imagine, but they are spendy.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:50:05 PM
Registered

I had a little Troy Bilt tiller with a Briggs engine. It was nearly new when I got it but I always had one problem or another with it. Bottom line, it was a very cheaply built machine that was clunky to use. I found a similarly sized BCS for sale on craigslist and bought it for $35 at which point I got rid of the Troy Bilt. There really is no basis for comparison between these machines. The BCS is far more sophisticated and better designed and built. But these are European machines built for European conditions. The tiller itself is much smaller in diameter than the American counterparts, made for shallower digging since as I understand it European soils, having been worked for so many centuries, are much shallower than ours. A deeper tiller would bring up the subsoils and spoil the topsoil. Or so I heard. This is of no consequence to me as I use the BCS for cultivating. When I got mine it was missing the carburetor and the recoil. I stuck a Walbro diaphragm carburetor on it (because that is what I had at the moment) and wrapped a rope around the starter hub. It is one of the smoothest running little engines I have ever owned. Mine has the BCS engine, I understand that it was used on only one model. Funny thing, I had to order some small parts for it when I got it. When the parts arrived, they were in a bag that had the maker's name on it, only it was not BCS, it was one of those spaghetti cars, I think Lamborghini. Seems they make serious products too.

My advice to anyone looking for a small, light tiller, and if you do not care about deep tilling, if you run across a BCS, buy it.

---------- Post added at 05:50:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48:32 PM ----------

...and if you are looking for a multi purpose machine, go with a two wheel Gravely. The original is still the greatest.