Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

'68 Sears Suburban Tractor Generator

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 9083 times

Old 05-02-2009, 02:32:08 PM
Sky

Default '68 Sears Suburban Tractor Generator

I had a question to if the Delco starter Generators found on the sears suberban tractors were the same to as found on ebay. If so i dont have to buy one becouse i have one here in parts i can rebuild. Many thanks.

Sky
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2009, 03:56:00 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts
Default Re: '68 sears suberban Tractor Generator

Sky,

All starter/generators are the same EXCEPT the one's used on Early Cub Cadet which turn the opposite direction. I think the armature is differance.

Kent
Old 05-02-2009, 09:10:39 PM
Sky

Default Re: '68 sears suberban Tractor Generator

Okey dokey. Many thanks
Old 05-02-2009, 11:05:22 PM
Sky

Default Re: '68 Sears Suburban Tractor Generator

Ok, I got one more question. This is a 10 H.P. Tecumseh. Horizontal heavy duty. I think it's a 12? HH12 model. It's HH something i know. Anyway i was wondering if there are any mild cams out there like Briggs supply's for racing. I thought it would be intresting to put a mild torquey cam in this tecumseh if there are any tecumseh supplyed mild or moderate cams out there. Just a wild hair thought.

Last edited by Sky; 05-02-2009 at 11:15:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:41:23 PM
Registered

SKY I think it would be a HH110 for a ten hp and HH120 for the twelve hp.

Check out some of the NHRA junior Dragster web sites. Those guys get 55HP and above out of some of those horizontal shaft engines.

Hopre this helps.
Bluecometk
Old 05-06-2009, 05:48:29 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,387 Times in 783 Posts

Sky, couldnt you just advance or retard the cam gear one tooth forward or backwards to acheive the sound you want?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:46:25 PM
Sky

It's not really the sound i want. I'd like the torque more then anything but after researching all i can do on the net i find what could have existed is no more. Specially after tecumseh officially called it quits. I want to keep the stock engine. I just wanted to add torque to it. Guess i'll keep it stock through and through.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:45:18 AM
Registered

sky, you know, if you grind the heal of the cam, the toe gets higher.
ive ground some old harley cams b4, as long as a good job and a steady hand are used, it,ll work.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:11:50 PM
Sky

Is there a specialty place that sells repro parts for the suberban like they do the wheel horse? If there is i'd like to know. Thanks again
Old 06-02-2009, 12:00:07 PM
Registered

Are Tecumseh's a strong enough engine? We've had quite a few that snap the rod, piston goes to the top and it windmills to a halt. If someone is making high performance Tecumseh parts, seems like they would make a better connecting rod? My father says they aren't worth rebuilding, yet we can't junk them, I'm ready to start using them for boat anchors. I'd settle for being able to get a B&S with starter to fit under a Sears (or MF) hood without stripping and cutting it up. I've got a Custom delux (7 hp?) about this same vintage I'm going to tear down the chicken shed wall and pull out through the side and drag it somewhere. I've got to swop the deck back onto the Massey Ferguson 7 that has a B&S pullstart cobbed on, find and replace the bottom steering column bushing on the big Dynamark, and get another 6 speed transaxle in the green Craftsmen before too long or I'll have to go get some sheep to mow.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:44:36 PM
Sky

Your OLD tecumseh was a good engine. Im talking 60's to about 1975. Anything newer was junk and even though your old tecumsehs were good SOME on OCASION had a tendency of snapping a rod. Not becouse of engine over rev but becouse of porus casting. Now on this '67 suberban we have, not '68, im eaither going to put a new rod in it or modernise the rod. I'd like to anyway. This one we have has set for many years but not becouse of a snapped rod. I guess this is one of the lucky engines.

Im still looking for a place that may supply repro suberban parts but im not having much luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 06-03-2009, 08:14:47 AM
Registered

So the old Tecumseh is worth a rebuild/new rod? Thanks, I was hoping to hear that. The green Craftsman (did I see someone here say "crapsman"?) seems to fall apart everytime we mow, I found I can shift it if I rock the weight onto the left rear wheel, I can only guess it has to do with the location of the shifting mechanism in the transaxle flexing somehow, or letting the right rear wheel turn?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oldsearsmower.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	55733   Click image for larger version

Name:	searscustomdelux.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	55734  
Old 06-03-2009, 03:44:02 PM
Sky

What i would really like to do is have a rod made of billet aluminum BUT....dont think thats gonna happen. Too much $$ i THINK.

Im not aware of the craftsman your using like if it's a newer model? I'd guess it is as it sounds. I will tell you honestly there can be no absolute comparison between the old craftsman and new. The old was built WAY better then the modern and they were much more reliable. They were 2 diferent animals so to speak. Diference between say a good book and bad book. So if you have an old one. 60's or older, put the $$ into that.