Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Fairbanks Headless Z questions

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1079 times

Old 09-16-2009, 04:03:52 PM
Registered

Default Fairbanks Headless Z questions

Hi y'all. New member here with a FBM 1 1/2 hp headless. The engine sat outdoors right on the Pacific coast for 30+ years and is in pretty bad shape. I've been soaking it with Kroil for 3 months now and things are starting to loosen up. I have the crank/flywheels turning and have removed the mixer/intake valve assembly and the ignitor assembly. The rod bolts were so corroded that there was very little left of the bolt heads, and I had to grind them off to remove the rod cap. The piston is still stuck. My questions concern the cam gear which is stuck on the shaft. I have the assembly off and am not sure how it is put together. I see a bushing? between the threaded shaft and the gear/lobe casting. (first photo) Should the threaded shaft turn inside the bushing? And what am I looking at in the bore of the gear, looking from the outside? (second photo). I want to understand how this is assembled before I start pressing in the wrong place. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	017.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	63106   Click image for larger version

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	63107  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2009, 06:17:18 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Fairbanks Headless Z questions

If it is like mine,& it looks like it is,what you are looking at on the outside is the bolt head.The bolt/shaft actually has a step made on it that tightens against the block.It does not use a bushing,unless somebody has installed 1 at some time in the past.The Cam just turns on the step portion of the shaft. On mine the bolt head,as seen in pic #2,has a large screwdriver slot in it. BE VERY CAREFULL if pressing on this & stay real close to the center hub,as i have seen a lot of these cams broken.Remember....Unless some one has modified it,that is NOT a bushing. Good luck!!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:58:17 PM
Registered

Thanks, Doug! It all makes sense now. So the bore of the gear has a step to match the bolt head, right? I tried heating the gear and pressing a little, but no go yet. I'll try more Kroil and more patience.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:05:37 PM
Subscriber

You got it !! The outside of the gear has about a 3/16 or so step machined in it,as i recall,for the head of the bolt/shaft to set down in. That is so when the ignighter trip arm bolts on & goes around it will clear it.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:19:05 PM
Registered

Success! A little heat, more Kroil, some persuasion with a brass hammer, more persuasion with a hydraulic press, and the shaft came out. A few minutes work with some emery cloth, and the cam is spinning on the shaft for the first time in decades. Thanks again, Doug. I'm sure I will have many more questions as I get further into this project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	019.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	63162  
Old 09-17-2009, 06:47:20 PM
Subscriber

Gota love the Kroil and heat and patience...oh yeah