Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

12V power addon to small engine

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2874 times

Old 12-21-2010, 12:24:43 AM
Registered

Default 12V power addon to small engine

I was wondering if there is a way to add 12v power to a small engine that currently only has magneto induction for the ignition only. The magneto was only designed for the ignition. I was thinking of possibly adding a second coil under the flywheel using the already present magnet to create 12v power to operate a headlight or something small like that. It's a Tecumseh engine, but really, I have a couple different ones I'd like to do it on. 4.5HP T, 4HP T, & 3.75 B&S... etc.

I tried googling but trying to sort out amongst existing "replacement" parts is quite messy. I was hoping someone here might have firsthand insight.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2010, 02:10:32 AM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: 12V power addon to small engine

Most Techumpseh engines have extra magnets in the flywheel to operate accessory chargers or generators. If you have a local small engine shop nearby, ask him if he has any junked snowblowers that had lighting systems. You might get lucky and find an engine you can swop parts out of. More often than not though, a seperate mounting on the block is used for the dynamo mount. Your engine may not have the additional mounting lugs. To get the proper light kit, you will need specific engine numbers to get the parts. With Techumpseh out of business, parts prices are going up, and a lot of stuff is becoming 'not available'. You might want to try evilbay or the 'other' list, pr even post a want ad here on the Stak (engineads), and try to find an engine to fit your application. Personally, I would try the local mower shop first. If people bring in a machine, and they think it costs too much to repair, they may just abondon the machine at the shop to be scrapped. Who knows, you may be able to pick up a repairable engine cheap!
Andrew
Old 12-21-2010, 02:24:26 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: 12V power addon to small engine

I agree with Andrew and will add another lead. Try consignment auctions in the off season. Pleasant way to kill a Saturday and I've bought complete snow blowers with problems in the summer and tillers in the fall and winter at a price that I could take the air cleaner and regular shrouds off the tiller engine, put on the snow blower engine and get a good engine and sell the left overs for scrap and get my money back. Anyway look for a snow blower with a light or a riding lawn mower with electric start and the same frame engine.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:29:51 PM
Sponsor

This can be done as suggested but remember you will get AC voltage from thus set-up. Simple to "rectify" to DC by using rectifier from donor unit or make your own from 2 6amp diodes wired together with opposite ends tied together on one side. This will give you both a pos and neg polarity wire at output, DC. I've made several of these to replace burned out ( and expensive) rectifiers in Briggs lawn mower engines.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:06:04 PM
Registered

Radioshack carries full wave rectifiers that are good for 25A. I've used a few of these for the alt. energy projects at my school, mainly b/c I dont have to solder with them.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062584