Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

'73 Suburban colors

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2730 times

Old 04-10-2012, 09:55:06 PM
Registered

Default '73 Suburban colors

I'm doing a complete restoration on the machine. I'm in the paint and reassemble mode. I know that that green tinted gold color would be impossible to find so I had it custom mixed. I was told that all the accessories were painted the same color regardless of the model they were on and found a great color match. Ace hardware antique white, just about perfect, no farm colors, rust-oleum or Krylon matched.

Does anyone have a match for the hood and dash "white" for that year? I'm about to give up and just use International white even though it isn't very close, or the accessory color. There is so little it isn't worth custom mixing.
It makes it more difficult that I can't find decals for that model, just the earlier blue and what ever colors. Most of them are good enough to mask and save but that adds a lot of work.
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02:48 PM
Registered

Default Re: '73 Suburban colors

Starting this post with my usual you know sears or roper must have had a different paint supplier every year, i own and am restoring 10 sears suburbans from 1970 to 1980 and i don't beleive any one is exactly the same color. Factor in the age, amount of sun light, detergent for cleaning or not cleaning. Have taken apart several frames to view paint that sunlight has never hit. And still seems to be different. I am using i.h.white & new cat. Or eqpt. From tractor supply. Bought some new cat yellow at napa and it was quiet a bit different color. Thinking about using cub beige on some hoods and dash panels. I know some look to have a lot of green in the paint. Think i will stick with new cat yellow.
The finished product looks pretty good. Have a good one.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46:45 PM
Registered

Default Re: '73 Suburban colors

The restoration is almost complete. The colors worked, I used the same off white that matched the attachments for the hood.
Just waiting for the new seat and mower blades and for the hood paint to cure a little longer before I paint the trim stripes.
It runs great. The compression was so good I didn't have to open the engine up. Carb and fuel pump rebuild, replace coil and tune up parts and it was running fine.
I had to machine a couple of bushings to fix the oval holes in the foot rests from the clutch shaft and wear groves in the shaft. Other than that there was no major broken parts. The mower deck needed one of the spindles rebuilt.
Two questions: After draining the trans it was totally full with 4.5 quarts. The book said 5, anyone seen that before?
The tractor came with mower deck, plow blade and tote-bucket. When I got finished there was 2 brackets brackets I couldn't find a place for, does anyone know what the are for?
I put other pictures in an album.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0017.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	134859   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0012.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	134860