Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

"Streaker" Go-kart with 5 HP B&S

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 10890 times

Old 10-09-2012, 06:33:06 PM
Registered

Default "Streaker" Go-kart with 5 HP B&S

I know this machine doesn't qualify as "old" but I've exhausted every other source I can Google regarding it and apparently the company has gone out of business because their phone is disconnected.

One of the local kids that's adopted me as the neighborhood "Mr. Fixit/Grumpy Grandpa" has brought me a Ken-Bar "Streaker" go-kart to fix for him. Through the kind help of the local B&S parts distributor I've identified the engine itself as a 5 H.P. Briggs flathead (the shroud/pull starter ass'y is completely missing) but the B&S site is no help what-so-ever id'ing a manual without all the numbers (I'm sure many of you have experienced that).

What I'm looking for is the basic numbers on the engine, enough that I can get a manual from the Briggs site, and any info anyone might have on the Kart itself since I also need a throttle cable, a clutch break down, etc and etc.

The label on the floor pan says it's a High Performance/Pace Setter/Streaker/Fun Kart/Ken-Bar Mfg/Serial No. 140692
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2012, 07:43:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts
Default Re: "Streaker" Go-kart with 5 HP B&S

A 5 hp Briggs engine model will be 13xxx. The 13 being the cubic inch displacement. The next 3 digits along with the next group (the Type number) tell what features the engine has - Carb, starter, bearings, crankshaft end, etc.
First question on identifying it is: What kind of carb does it have? A FloJet carb has a float bowl and the tank is mounted higher than the carb. A PulsaJet is a suction type carb and the tank is mounted below it. Just about any blower housing from a Briggs 5 hp horizontal shaft engine from the same era will fit.
Pictures will help get you better answers and suggestions.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 10-09-2012, 07:59:37 PM
Registered

If it's a 5 hp, the engine is a 130000 series. That should be enough to get you a service manual, but the correct parts list will be slightly more elusive.

Welcome to go-kart repair. Where everyone's brother/uncle/father etc, has tried their hand at modifications, all in the name of more speed.
In addition, the records are full of go-kart companies that went out of business during this age of litigation and lawsuits. Briggs themselves abandoned the fun kart industry, due to lawsuits suffered when their engines were put on karts.

Matter of fact... go karts are an item not allowed in my shop for the same reason. Just too risky, especially when operated by kids.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:27:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,168 Posts

To get back to an answer to your question, does your engine have a "Ratchet" on the flywheel or a metal "Cup"
Old 10-09-2012, 08:55:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,023 Times in 764 Posts

As a side note: I have used Google's search engine for years and they used to be quite good, however over the years they have steadily gotten worse, at least in my opinion. Theyve changed the parameters for when you initiate a search to include your personal information and your habits, among other things. Google has become a monopolizing monster, in my opinion, http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=InFNedaNq6s. I have since switched to using Bing and when I initiate a search I find information on exactly what I was searching for, not something completely unrelated.
Ill apologize now for my "rant".

Patrick